Historic Gibson Faux Bumblebee Caps

grayd8

Reaction score
I think from what I've read lately, that Gibson probably did at some point want to offer PIO caps that looked like Bumble Bees but because of the EU restrictions and other regulations involved they can't use paper in oil caps. Violates something or other. But to me that would have left the door open for a mylar film Bumble Bee which is a cap Gibson also used in the late 50s and early 60s that nobody's ever complained about the sound of. Too bad they went with what they have, but as others have noticed, they do work and personally I've heard other caps I didn't like as much such as Angela's Jensen PIOs for instance. I would never NEVER have bothered hacking into the stock Gibson harnesses that I did except the ones I did were pre-2009 with modern wiring and other than my 2005 R8 that wasn't too bad sounding, the rest had muddy neck pickup tones and a sad, non-chirping middle switch position tone that did not sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muKkVufgkAE

It's THE classic original Gibson sound for me, much exploited by Jimmy Page to good effect and totally ignored by others. I gotta has it!
If the EU restrictions were the reason, seems like it would have made more sense to use Orange Drops. If they explained the reason I don't think very many people would be mad. Regulations are what they are.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Matt. I learn so much here. any reason why repros are 400v and is there any difference tonally?
The correct original voltage is 400V, thus why the reproductions maintain that spec. When it comes to voltage in a guitar circuit, it doesn't make any difference at all.

SessionGuy

Reaction score
Not read the all posts, but it's worth saying that some manufacturers changed to ceramic tone caps, because they're non-inductive and greatly reduce the risk of RFI or radio interference! Aluminium foil caps are notorious for this. That's why all DC power supply lines in electronic equipment are always decoupled with ceramic caps!

As an electronics designer myself, I always use ceramic caps in my guitars for this reason. I can never hear any difference (playing clean) in dielectric except for 'value ±tolerance!'

Since most players are playing in deep distortion all the time... how can they hear any difference! Sorry to be unromantic about it. BTW, I have many vintage guitars and have been a player since 1961. I also work in the MI Industry still.

swampblues

Reaction score
Get off the $$ and buy real ones like I did, lol didn’t change sounds much either

ARandall

Reaction score
^ If you buy non .022 marked ones they are dirt cheap (comparatively). Lets face it even without time based drift there is nothing about the nominal .022 value which is magical at all.

Latest Threads