Historic Gibson Faux Bumblebee Caps

USAPatriot

Reaction score
Howdy,

Newbie to the site but I love the thread...and my Gibson Les Paul.

Tone is so subjective...I think if you want to gather a panel of experts to see what's good and what's not, I'd suggest blind testing. Get 5 of the greatest living players in one room and they'll have so many biases that it'd be impossible to get an uncolored opinion from them if they knew beforehand what they were playing. Just looking at the guitars would tilt their opinions. I think you'd literally have to blindfold them and hand them the guitars to play and then have them opine on each one and each one against the others. I think you'd find that there'd be a wide and varying range of responses. I even suspect that if these 5 theoretical people knew what they were up against, they'd refuse. They're as liable to pick a modded Epi Les Paul as a genuine or reissued '57, for instance.

I've been on the tone hunt since the early 70's but only fairly consistently since '99 and only REALLY consistently since August...after I lost my axes and amps to a fire, I renewed my interest with new gear and am back to playing 2-4x daily, every day. What I think sounds great today won't be so great after I use it for a week. Something in my makeup just keeps me changing things.

I no longer have my 2000 '57 reissue or my terrific modded Epi...yeah it was really good...so am now playing Gibson's blue swirl anniversary flood LP, a BOSS GT-10 and piping them through a Blackstar HT-40. I miss my 5150 II, but all things being equal, this is good enough. Small changes can have large effects or sometimes effects so subtle that I think a lot of people just have overly active imaginations and expectations. I haven't looked at the pots inside this new Gibson, have no idea what's in there and it's not important. For today, I'm happy with how it sounds. Thanks for listening. -Rod-

jamman

Reaction score
This is so true ^ . I bought my Vintage caps here, in the members section @ $50.00 a pop . Why buy These when you can get much much better for less ? Btw all mine are in spec and you can hear the difference .

Gibson is there to make Money , Your Money . Nothing wrong with that ,but this is 1 upgrade that you do hear. You want to spend less $$$ for caps ? try the Jenson caps . I bought a couple sets , Like $17.50 each (which is a lot ) but these are very nice caps . And compared to $50.00 + , You do the math. You have extra money for Good strings

Curlymaple

Reaction score
This are the ones you'll need!

.022 200v / 600, .015 mf 200 (bottom right) /600v (2nd row from left). Also some .010s top right.

Some other brand including Luxe bees (upper left):

Good luck on your tone quest!

Sorry these are not for sale.:thumb:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Thanks Nico for bumping it back to the forefront. :thumb:

jamman

Reaction score
They are still for sale at the knock down price of 129 dollars. Thats for a pair though.

Historic Spec Bumble Bee Capacitors - Two-Pack - Gibson Store

Discussion to here on the Gibson product page.

Not for me thanks YMMV
Great thread. Thanks Nico for bumping it back to the forefront. :thumb:
Why not credit the person who bumped the thread yesterday morning ?
Post # 62 , right before he (Mr. Shoe Polish :lol:) did . like 9 minutes before .

:wave:

:hmm:

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Guys, i have plenty of original 50's BBs.... considering selling a few of them....

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
Tone isn't everything. It's playability that is key. As long as there isn't anything wrong with the guitar and it plays well then I will get a good sound out of it. I have never played an Epiphone that played well. Maybe I suck as a guitarist and can't tell good quality when I see/hear/feel it.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Tone isn't everything. It's playability that is key. As long as there isn't anything wrong with the guitar and it plays well then I will get a good sound out of it. I have never played an Epiphone that played well. Maybe I suck as a guitarist and can't tell good quality when I see/hear/feel it.
Absolutely! but there is a huge difference having good pots and having great pots and pairs them with vintage BB's some kind of magic happens with ever turn from the tone knobs.

RANDALL555

Reaction score
I have to agree that i think to many people are all talking about the sound and tone of a original les paul and if you blind folded them and let them play 3 les pauls with 1 59 original one reissue and a new standard they couldnt tell one from the other

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
I have to agree that i think to many people are all talking about the sound and tone of a original les paul and if you blind folded them and let them play 3 les pauls with 1 59 original one reissue and a new standard they couldnt tell one from the other
this thread is all about tone caps!!! please do not derail it :cool:

if you want to discuss the magic of a vintage les paul, go to this thread... http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/237977-those-you-who-have-actually-played-own-ed-actual-1959-gibson-les-paul.html

johnny7322

Reaction score
I don't see what all the fuss is about. The box says "This set of historic spec .022 mfd bumble bee capacitors look and sound just like the originals used on late '50s les Paul's. These specially made capacitors help you achieve that famous,vintage sound".
I didn't read " exact copy".
I put them in my 03 standard and I hear a major improvement. They sound better than the Russian pio caps in my classic. To each his own. I like em. I like em a lot.

jamman

Reaction score
I don't see what all the fuss is about. The box says "This set of historic spec .022 mfd bumble bee capacitors look and sound just like the originals used on late '50s les Paul's. These specially made capacitors help you achieve that famous,vintage sound".
I didn't read " exact copy".
I put them in my 03 standard and I hear a major improvement. They sound better than the Russian pio caps in my classic. To each his own. I like em. I like em a lot.
On this page the point was THE PRICE $$$$ Gibson charges for their $.05cents for 1, to make Caps . Which compared to a Real Vintage BB cap sells for less . And Imo , along with many others , the Vintage sounds better .

i can't believe you actually ressurected this thread..
Believe :shock:

GermHerm

Reaction score
It is well known that good capacitors behave all the same. The only criteria is the capacity. If you buy a styroflex capacitor for some cents or max. a dollar or Euro it is more than enough. All the 'vintage' reissues and the like are nothing better than new capacitors. please remember that at that 'good old' times Companies like Gibson or Fender just used capacitors which they were able to get (cheap). There is no 'magic', sorry! Over 30 years of guitar playing and modding leads me to believe only in physics and listening. If somebody would like to buy 'special' capacitors and believes in it, just do so - it is your personal decision. Here is a nice video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92G-jw4TqS4.:thumb:

Latest Threads