Historic Gibson Faux Bumblebee Caps

Jakeislove

Reaction score
What could putting a real PIO cap inside of one of those Genuine, trademarked, Bumblebee shells really have cost them? $0.75?!

Raz59

Reaction score
What could putting a real PIO cap inside of one of those Genuine, trademarked, Bumblebee shells really have cost them? $0.75?!
They could have also opted for mylar, seeing as Bumblebees also came in that flavor of dielectric as well...they'd still get the negative flak of the super-inflated price, but at least it would be accurate.

KenG

Reaction score
How do they sound?

I have an R8 with them and have no problems.

Therefore, I think this is pretty irrelevant.
Manufacturers simply aren't setup to make things this way anymore. Paper dielectric, soaked in oil? How can you pump million sout of the factory to make it worthwhile? Answer, you can't.

LPaddicted

Reaction score
One original and NOS K40Y-9 capacitor cost 1$, worldwide shipping included. :)
So for a factory like Gibson, wich produces thousands of Reissue pro month, I think they can get caps fos 0,01 $ each. :hmm:

Jakeislove

Reaction score
One original and NOS K40Y-9 capacitor cost 1$, worldwide shipping included. :)
So for a factory like Gibson, wich produces thousands of Reissue pro month, I think they can get caps fos 0,01 $ each. :hmm:
From a business standpoint... why spend the extra money when it won't affect sales?

coby

Reaction score
Clearly the new Bumble Bees are not like the old Bumble Bees. And the Burstbuckers are not PAF's and so forth. But I played both my R9 and R8 extensively before I bought them. But more importantly, I listened to them. I liked the sound as well as the playability so I bought them.

I am not talking sh*t, but I don't understand paying for a Historic and then complaining about its components. If you don't like the guitar, don't buy it. Simple. You could buy a production model and mod it to your specifications and likes. I don't get doing that with a Historic.

This last week (and largely because of stuff I read on boards) I spent a lot of time listening to samples of numerous pickups as well as reading reviews and tone reports. Maybe my ears suck, but I can't hear a tremendous difference between all of the replacement PAF's that have similar outputs. Put it this way, I haven't heard any difference that couldn't be made up with some simple EQ'ing.

All of this tone stuff is 100% subjective. What sounds great to me might sound like mud to the next guy and vice versa. But I think too many spend too much time reading internet boards and less time actually playing the instrument.

After playing for about 30 years and owning a few dozen electrics starting with a $30 Kay all the way up to Gibson Historics, I can say these are the best damn guitars my hands have touched. I've never played a real 58-60 burst. And I doubt I've ever heard a real PAF in person. The oldest Lester I've played was probably an early 70's Black Beauty when I was in high school. I fell in love with the neck and probably because it was the first time I'd ever played a Les Paul-scale neck. It never occurred to me then that perhaps Strat-length necks weren't for me. I didn't even know there was a difference.

We didn't have the internet back then. We played what he had laying around and were happy about it. I don't have some elusive tone I am running down and I am not trying to copy anyone else. I play what makes me sound good. My Historics are stock and staying that way because that's how I bought them. They were good enough at the point of purchase. Nothing has changed.

Sorry for the rant.

MTA: The way some people are always tinkering with their guitars reminds me of people in high school that always were working on their muscle cars. It seemed that those cars spent more time in the garage getting worked on than in the street being driven. That was the point I was trying to make.

:thumb::applause:

crazytrain77

Reaction score
There are some seriously great posts here guys. I really enjoyed reading this.

bluefrog

Reaction score
I guess you wd be not amused.
why dont simply get some russian PIO caps from TAD germany they are less expensive
and origin. I have them installed yesterday evening in my 09 R57 GT.
superb- kicked out the fakebumblebees.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How do they sound?

I have an R8 with them and have no problems.

Therefore, I think this is pretty irrelevant.
I agree. Most of us here are lowly old guitar players, we don't care about the science. All we care about it the tone.

A couple of leads and alligator clips is all the science we really need.

Re Gibson fake bees - I think they sound pretty darn good. To my ears closer to a Mylar cap than a PIO. The only problem I have with them is when a salesman at the Gibson dealer tried to tell me they were 'real Bumblebees'. :rolleyes: I did have to take a couple minutes to explain things to him.

I think you have to ask yourself why you want to change them? If you are chasing that vintage tone, go for it. Seriously, a lot of guys aren't, they like their guitars just as they sound now.

Good PIOs aren't expensive, I think best bang for the buck, as many have said here, are Russians. If you want the look, go with Luxe. But, in 40+ years of playing, no one has ever asked me to pull the cavity plate and show them my capacitors. Well, except for some of the guys on this forum. :laugh2:

There is a difference when you change to PIO. Especially when rolling back the tone knob.

On the bench I can hear a slight difference between real Bees and Russians. But only on the bench going from one to the other. I don't notice the difference when I'm playing at volume.

borgein

Reaction score
Good PIOs aren't expensive, I think best bang for the buck, as many have said here, are Russians. If you want the look, go with Luxe. But, in 40+ years of playing, no one has ever asked me to pull the cavity plate and show them my capacitors. Well, except for some of the guys on this forum. :laugh2:
ROFL! Good point. :D

Who the heck cares what a damn capacitor looks like? Nobody that actually PLAYS a guitar to play music CARES!

I bet if you asked Jimmy Page: Hey JP, you wanna see my bumblebees??? they're awesome!... He'd roll on the floor while laughing his ass off!

And that's a very good thing.

Now go play. And stop looking at capacitors :D

silent0ne

Reaction score
I care what they look like...lol...the same way I feel about cars...I want it to look good as well as run good...nice paint job and dress up the engine with colored wires and lights...heh heh heh...all a matter of taste - even if others can't see it - I know what looks like...

First one is a modern wired LP with sprague .015s and the second one is vintage wired with BB repros .015/.022 ZoSo caps (I make and sell these on e-bay)...

You can see them all here...

ACELUEK

ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON
Reaction score
Gibson is no different then the guys making money on the historic replacement components.. Ah, looks like a got another one.. I'm also an electrical engineer and amazed at how much someone will pay for some of this stuff. I'm perfectly happy with my stock R8.. At least for now.:hmm:

Mr.Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Ok I just have to say a few things due to some comments.
Of course are the Gibson Bumblebee caps different than the original caps.
They are not built the same way. That's a fact. That's the reason why the x-rays are different. And what does that mean? Nothing!
Because also a fact is that they don't need to be built the same way to sound close.
And IMO they do sound close.
The Gibson caps really do sound very good and they allow a very wide range of tones when using the tone control. IMO they react very sensitive as well.
Take a look at this site: SINGLECOIL.COM - the musicians DIY electronics source for free !!!
They claim to have a cap that sounds like original Bumblebees. You can find this item under the button "Tone Caps". Now this cap totally looks different. Doesn't it? It's not even a foil cap. Do I think this can be true? Yes I do!
I was once like many of you guys: on an endless journey for the perfect vintage tone.
And once you're on that road, the trip really is endless.
I am glad I left this road and found my tone!

Lowdown

Reaction score
I love rediscovering this thread. It's one of my faves.
I've never been able to comment really,but after getting my '57RI BB,I have to say it has something my others with regular Russki PIO's don't.
Is it the Bees? Screwed if I can tell ya? BUT,I can tell you that I won't be changing them or anything else in it for that matter.

Great thread. No BS. No bitching. Almost too good to be true and last…:Ohno:

your idol

Reaction score
As many times as ive tried directing people to this thread i wish it was stickied.

LPaddicted

Reaction score
Factory retardbucker, fakebees & chinese CTS are total PoS..

Lowdown

Reaction score
…until they tell you you're a dickhead and laugh at you :laugh2:

Latest Threads