Historic Changes '93-'07

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, long tenon. Same as 2014 models with different serial numbers. Start R9 XXXX instead of 9 XXXX

Dilver

Reaction score
2017, still no update on this thread ? :wave:
Copied from the "other" LP forum...

The 2017 specs that were leaked by Music Zoo earlier in the year stated that they were all (with the exception of the 60s) going with a 59 profile:

"NAMM 2017
New and exciting things are going down at the Gibson Custom Shop. Specs are being rearranged, necks and tops are changing shapes, and everything is lined up to come out fantastic. You can pre-order these guitars starting right now from The Music Zoo. Here is the low-down about what is coming out of the Historic division of the Gibson Custom Shop for 2017! Stay tuned for pictures as the guitars arrive in the store.

Features of what we knew as 2016 Standard and True Historics are being condensed into one single series where all new 2017 Historic Reissue Les Pauls will feature:

– The Carmelita top carve profile
- All ’54, ’56, ’57, and ’58 Historic Reissues have ’59 neck profiles (there seems to be some discrepancy on this point)
– All hide-glue construction and nitrocellulose lacquer finishes with aniline dye
– True Historic parts including pickguard, pickup rings, switch washer, tip, knobs, pickup covers, and jack plate.
– Historic accurate serial numbers (no “R” at the beginning of the serial)
– Rolled Fretboard Binding
– Solid Indian rosewood fretboard
– Solid one-piece mahogany neck with Historic long neck tenon
– Holly Headstock Veneer
– Custombucker Pickups
- Finishes include Antique Gold, Dirty Lemon (replacing Lemon Burst), Faded Tobacco, Iced Tea, and Washed Cherry

- The street price for 1954 through 1958 Historic Reissue Les Pauls in both Gloss and VOS finishes are $4,699.
- The street price for 1959 through 1960 Historic Reissue Les Pauls in both Gloss and VOS finishes are $6,499."

Oddly enough, it's practically September and the Gibson web site doesn't seem to reflect any of this, still showing Standard Historics and True Historics and no mention of the Dirty Lemon finish (which is gorgeous BTW).

Pappy58

Reaction score
Yes, long tenon. Same as 2014 models with different serial numbers. Start R9 XXXX instead of 9 XXXX
Wast there a rumor/allegation that some 2016 "Rn" git's got TH plastics and PUP covers?

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here is the response I got from my contact at Gibson. He confirms it is a 2010 and they did not make R8s in 2000 (but I have never seen one from 1999 in my life either)

This serial number rolls as a 2010 LPR8. The 58’ Les Paul plain top was available from 1994-1999, same specs as LPR9 but with plain top.

58 Les Paul figured top available 1996-1999.

LPR8PVOWCNH1
1958 Les Paul Plaintop VOS
1/18/2010

Regards,

Gibson customer service

service@gibson.com
See above Flick...

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Is there any info on Historic SGs like this? Have there been any changes at all? It seems like Gibson just threw SG fans a bone in 2000 and left it to languish for the next 18 years...

DanD

Reaction score
Wast there a rumor/allegation that some 2016 "Rn" git's got TH plastics and PUP covers?
Some'16 'RXXXXX' models are repurposed THs so some do have TH plastics.

From whay I've seen from the late '16s and early '17s there were many repurposed guitars that were re-serialized THs with no other changes other than the serial number.

The '15 TH '58 plaintops in both aged and unaged versions must have been a hard sell at TH pricing.

I've seen quite a few R8 2XXX models that had seriously plain tops but had all the correct TH hardware and plastics.

I've also noticed that the early '17s from 8 7001 to ~8 75XX have many repurposed TH R9s, CCs, and aged TH '58s.

ezra1

Reaction score
This would be the year to do it.

2013 Changes

* Return to single ply Rosewood finger board (2012 Folly)
* More visually correct Inlay's (From 2012)
* Aniline Dye to the back
* Better looking Machine Head Keys
* Domed Machine Head Studs instead of Flat
* Narrower neck on some
* Color of binding changed to more closely match originals
* Steel Studs (from 2010 or 2011)
* VOS treatment is somewhat less
* Slotted screw on pick guard bracket (2010, 2011)
* Pots on some CC models react more like original Centra Lab pots.
* Hot Hide Glue used in neck joint
* Custom Bucker Pickups as new default pickup for the historic line.
* Vintage size Truss Rod.
* Truss Rod Sheathing Deleted.
* Studs are longer/deeper into the wood.

Gold Tops

In addition to the above changes

* New Gold Top Color
* New filler color and stain to Gold Top Backs

There.... I am sure I missed some.

Anyone can contribute. Correct the list or accuse me of blasphemy ....
But I was bored. :D
Good to have this info.
I sure like mine.

Killermano

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here, first of all congratulations for the great post, it is of great value.
I would like to know if it is possible to update the information until now and put in a single post as done until the year 2007 at the beginning of this post. This way it would look better and easier to consult.
Thank you very much and forgive me if I do not speak English very well.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

This was attempted with changes for 2013 ...

I don’t think these files can be manipulated as there was a software upgrade and those were migrated over to the new format. Unless someone takes the time to rewrite it all

At least thats my understanding of it.
But good point...

Killermano

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, it is an excellent reference material ... And the forum is a great channel for exchange of knowledge and learning. Thank you one more time.