Historic availability in the near future

FKO

Reaction score
I believe it's already being done.... That is phasing out the CS and making the '14 spec Historics instead.... At least figured R8's like last year. Dealers are ordering and getting 2014 spec Historics and making them available....HOG and Dave's to name two.

They will have to do better than bringing back '14 spec for 2016 when there are still so many '14 Historics in the market.

Maybe... throw in the white gloves for 2016?! :laugh2::laugh2:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Good advice if you're gigging, but spending that kind of money on an amp for home use only I'd question. The guitar is a different case IMO, having a great instrument that feels and plays good doesn't change regardless of what amp you use \9except in the most extreme cases of course).
I don't know, Ken, a nice amp is equally as important to me and playing and expensive guitar through a cheap amp is somewhat pointless. Some 5w Swarts are in that price range listed above and those are perfect for home use.

peach64

Reaction score
I don't know, Ken, a nice amp is equally as important to me and playing and expensive guitar through a cheap amp is somewhat pointless. Some 5w Swarts are in that price range listed above and those are perfect for home use.

Amen Tim,

I've heard marginal guitars sound very good through a Trainwreck, where as killer `59 Historics sound average through lesser amps. John Mark is producing incredible 18 watt Trainwrecks now for $3400 these amps are a much better and wiser investment and will inspire anyone to play greater.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Ken,

My response to the OP was two fold. My first point is, it is kind of silly to spend 6k on a Gibson in the first place....if it is your first one and that is your max budget.

All of these guitars I have been through, and my 2011 R9 still stands above the rest. These guitars are all made at the same place, by the same hands, from the same wood pile. If you buy a Custom Shop, you are getting a fine, American made instrument. There are soooo many good used ones out there right now, and usually there are.

Mfolet just sold a ridiculous R8 for $3400. I will agree with you, maybe I was a bit high at the $1500-2500 amp, but not much. I have gigged with my Orange Dual Terror and 2x12 cab. Even used, I still have close to a grand in that set up. Again, back to the point, you could have an insane axe and amp for under $4500 in that example.

Even if you aren't gigging, I would still give the same advice. You simply won't see that guitars potential through a cheap amp. It's like someone saying they are going to buy a Ferrari, but they will burn E85 gas in it and drive it with bald tires. Even if you aren't racing it on a track, that still wouldn't be advisable. :laugh2:

rich85

Reaction score
As a forum there is - way - to much focus on 13/14 historics IMO

Cdntac

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think hobby guitarists are a lot like recreational golfers --- they've always got to have the latest and greatest (read golf forums discussions about Taylormade drivers for example).

Just because the TH line is new it doesn't mean that it's better than reissues from past years.

Buy a guitar because it plays well --- not because it's the latest and greatest thing being promoted.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think hobby guitarists are a lot like recreational golfers --- they've always got to have the latest and greatest (read golf forums discussions about Taylormade drivers for example).

Just because the TH line is new it doesn't mean that it's better than reissues from past years.

Buy a guitar because it plays well --- not because it's the latest and greatest thing being promoted.

The key word here is hobby. Though there are a select few here that make a living in the music industry, most of us (myself included) are hobbyists or weekend warriors.

That being said, you do realize you are on a Les Paul forum here, right? Spending money/time on something you don't need, but love to do basically defines a hobby. It's not necessarily a "latest and greatest" thing as it is a "different" thing. Like any group of hobbyists, some have more $ and or time than others to devote to it. That's all.

Cdntac

Reaction score
I agree --- my point was just that you don't necessarily have to have the most recently released model to have a phenomenal guitar (in regards to the OP).

A few minor specs changed each year doesn't make a radically changed-for-the-better Les Paul ergo previous year's editions shouldn't be overlooked simply because there's something new out now.

jamman

Reaction score
In the times (NOW) of Internet sales ,,It's the top the sells the guitar . So every year, Some wait for those Big Tops to hit the street ,and they Jump on them ....

All the other stuff is for us Nit-Pickers (ME, included here) ,But if it ain't got the top ,,It sits unsold, no matter what it's specs are. Eye Candy sells . That why we see so many posted all the time ..everything has a price ....:hmm:

:laugh2:

:thumb:

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

This (14 watts)

tweed-deluxe-combo.jpg

http://youtu.be/m16GnIqHMA0

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not to derail any further, but the amp is 50%, maybe more, of the total tonal equation.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

While we all have different tastes in amp tone, I agree with Tim. I feel a lack of playing motivation at home if I'm listening to some BS tone. Plenty of amps deliver a nice sound at home volume levels. For me, I like the Carr Skylark and, believe it or not, my favorite is the Mesa Lonestar special. Nice and meaty EL84 Class A sound at bedroom levels.

That said, there will be absolutely NO shortage of available historics in the foreseeable future. If you can't find a top to suit your taste, might I recommend manning up to GOLD? :naughty:

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
I agree --- my point was just that you don't necessarily have to have the most recently released model to have a phenomenal guitar (in regards to the OP).

A few minor specs changed each year doesn't make a radically changed-for-the-better Les Paul ergo previous year's editions shouldn't be overlooked simply because there's something new out now.

I agree completely.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not to derail any further, but the amp is 50%, maybe more, of the total tonal equation.

"check out my R9!"

*plugs it into Line6-Spider*

:laugh2:

(I know you've seen that too.)

nutsauce

Reaction score
For resale value the CS line will most certainly be the worst choice. However, I've owned several Historic reissues from 2003 to 2014 models and have a 2014 R6 right now that I love. But my 2015 CS9 is the best sounding and playing Les Paul I've ever owned. I traded two other guitars for it so it didn't cost me anything "out of pocket". Had that not been the case probably wouldn't have dropped 6K on it, or any other guitar to be totally honest. I also got $700 more on my trade than I paid for the guitars so it was an easy decision for me.

Point being...the CS line, from my experience, are incredible guitars. Now maybe I just got lucky and got a gem in a sea of turds...no way for me to know. And being fairly new to the Les Paul world, historic accuracy is of zero importance to me. And when the 2016 line comes out you may be able to get a killer deal on a CS. I love this one. Don't mean to sing the praises of the CS, it's just I'm probably the only one here that owns one so just giving my first hand experience.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 37

indravayu

Reaction score
Point being...the CS line, from my experience, are incredible guitars. Now maybe I just got lucky and got a gem in a sea of turds...no way for me to know. And being fairly new to the Les Paul world, historic accuracy is of zero importance to me. And when the 2016 line comes out you may be able to get a killer deal on a CS. I love this one. Don't mean to sing the praises of the CS, it's just I'm probably the only one here that owns one so just giving my first hand experience.

I'd wager, with all the CS stock collecting dust, dealers are going to blow these out at bargain basement prices towards the end of the year - I know I'd be pissed off this if I was one of the early adopters, like you.

nutsauce

Reaction score
I'd wager, with all the CS stock collecting dust, dealers are going to blow these out at bargain basement prices towards the end of the year - I know I'd be pissed off this if I was one of the early adopters, like you.

Yeah that will no doubt be the case. But I won't be pissed or anything, most likely just go buy another one at a reduced price :D I'm not made of money or anything, but I also don't really worry about what I spend on hobbies. After 20 years of motocross racing, guitars are a cheap hobby!! I'm also single with no kids so don't have to justify purchases and all that. And like I said, didn't spend a red cent on the CS, just traded two other guitars that I wasn't really crazy about. I am really curious to see what I can pick up a CS8 for around the end of the year. Also curious to see what Gibson is going to do with the Custom Shop line in 2016 based on the low sales of the CS and TH line. I really wish they would just go back to the regular Historic and call it a day.

Latest Threads