Historic '56 Lefty tone controls

HonestAl

Reaction score
I'm the proud owner of a Historic '56 that I bought way back in early 2000 - manufactured in 99 from the serial number. I've owned it from new, bought a chain of music stores here in the UK, one branch of which (at the time) had a dedicated lefty department. Woo hoo!

There's (almost) nothing I don't feel is awesome about it. The 'almost' qualifier is only there because the tone controls exhibit the old 'falling off a cliff' characteristic - as In for the first 90% of their movement almost nothing happens, then only in the last few degrees does the high get cut significantly. in fact you can get a damn good wah wah effect by rolling them back and forth quickly over a few degrees.

It's never bothered me massively, but none of my other Les Pauls are like it. I have 91 and 2002 Standards, and a 2018 R0. They all roll off quite predictably. I'd like to decide whether it's a consequence of it being a 'historic lefty' or what. Anyone else got one of these? (including a righty) I can take a pic of the control cavity though I've never bothered diving in before now, and I'm not overly concerned now, I'm used to it, but it'd be good to know.

Thanks

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Historics before 2009 had linear taper pots and were all like that.

HonestAl

Reaction score
Thanks gents. Makes sense. In fact I just found a supposedly original Gibson circuit diagram and noticed it was just a linear pot. Hopefully that explains the tiny orange drop cap too

So to get it rolling off the treble in the right direction (currently clockwise makes the tone darker) if I get a regular audio pot can I simply connect the cap to the opposite lug if I find I've accidentally reversed it, or do I need to buy something different? Sorry for the muppet question!

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
The only difference with a lefty pot is, the wire is on one outside lug instead of the other. The middle wire stays the same.
Just swap your wires one lug at a time from the old pot to the new.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Thanks gents. Makes sense. In fact I just found a supposedly original Gibson circuit diagram and noticed it was just a linear pot. Hopefully that explains the tiny orange drop cap too

So to get it rolling off the treble in the right direction (currently clockwise makes the tone darker) if I get a regular audio pot can I simply connect the cap to the opposite lug if I find I've accidentally reversed it, or do I need to buy something different? Sorry for the muppet question!
You want to buy the lefty, reverse audio pots.
Al

Latest Threads