High gain pickup clip bonanza

formula73

Reaction score
As some of you may know, there are some mag swap-crazy folks over on the Duncan forum. One of them did a FANTASTIC back-to-back-to-back comparison on several higher output production pickups and some of the effects magnet changes have on them. It just goes to show that what you think about "DC resistance and *this* magnet will get me this tone" is not necessarily a hard and fast kinda rule.

The bridge pups are gainy, Megadeth-ish style rhythm playing, imho, and the necks are clean and airy. Some of the differences are pretty shocking and some, not so much. I really dug it.

Pickup Shootout - Duncans, Dimarzios, Bill Lawrences, Emgs, Bare Knuckles, Oh my! - Seymour Duncan User Group Forums

:dude:

formula73

Reaction score
No love? I thought it was pretty cool and clearly, a lot of work went into it.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I've give it a good listen over the weekend on proper speakers.

LtKojak

Reaction score
Too much love of the cork's scent and not enough knowledge about how a magnetic p'up actually works to consider magnet swapping a valid option for the majority in this Forum.

But I'm not giving up! ;)

formula73

Reaction score
Mag swaps do what they do and they're stupid easy and cheap. What I really liked about it was how drastic some of the tone changes were, not even pickup to pickup, but magnets to magnet from the same pup. It's a really great way to show people how easy it is and how big a difference it makes.

csplayer089

Reaction score
This is cool...but wtf. Can't TRULY hear the differences with the stupid drum tracks in the background. Just needs to have the guitar tracks.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I need to join that forum if they are doing cool shit like that.

formula73

Reaction score
I need to join that forum if they are doing cool shit like that.

People over there do mag swaps all the time but this is the first time I remember somebody doing something as extensive and objective as this. FWIW, Zhang's over there.

This is cool...but wtf. Can't TRULY hear the differences with the stupid drum tracks in the background. Just needs to have the guitar tracks.

Are you serious? Do you want to hear tonal differences in the context of bedroom noodling, alone, or would you rather hear them in the context of rocking out in the mix with a band?

Side note: you CAN'T hear the differences? Jesus. I thought I had a bad ear...:wow:

csplayer089

Reaction score
Did I ever say that i couldnt hear the difference? No. I can. But I would PREFER it if there were only guitar tracks. That way ALL subtle little differences can be heard. I would like to hear the differences with the audio being professionally recorded, with two tracks panned left and right.

Like this video. Skip to 11:28, or click the link. Without the mix, the different tonalities of the pickups really come out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8&t=11m28s]Seymour Duncan 6-String Bridge Pickups, 12 Model Comparison, Metal Rhythm - YouTube[/ame]

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Too much love of the cork's scent and not enough knowledge about how a magnetic p'up actually works to consider magnet swapping a valid option for the majority in this Forum.

But I'm not giving up! ;)

Don't give up Lt, there may be hope yet!
I've recently started down the mag swap road with some success.
I, for one, have to admit, after fuelie's magnet lesson, my fundamental knowledge of p'ups, & how all the parts work together to accomplish the end result, has increased exponentially.
Add to this the enlightenment that Rayne added with his use of ceramic magnets during the shootout & you have another realm of magnet swapping to explore.
I currently have an order in with addiction fx.
A couple of short A2 rough cast
A pair of ceramic 8
2 A3
2 more UOA5
The test beds: BB Pros, 490r/498t, An SD sh-4, & a cheap set that I hope to make something out of.

I'd like it noted for the record, the only cork I have is at the end of my fishin' pole:laugh2:

skynyrd67

Reaction score
I`m a major fan of mag swapping and the Duncan forums helped to show me how much you can gain by doing it. Just like my DiMarzio Super Distortion, great pup but the ceramic mag made dialing in the tone I wanted very touchy as it would get brittle and harsh to easily. I swapped out the ceramic for an Alnico 5 and now jaws drop when i crack off a power chord or let it sing on a deep string bend.

Latest Threads