High end Tokai LSJs? (juniors, single P90, single cut)

E.X

Reaction score
All i can find online are Chinese made ones, or none at all. Whereas on the other hand i can find double cuts -up to LSS230s- without even trying too hard.
So was wondering if there are any good single cuts being made, where can they be found please and obviously at what prices?

This is for informational purposes only, please refrain from posting any offers; as stated, merely wondering. This will happen, but not right now. I just like to plan ahead.

* If you're wondering, i'd like a single cut junior; that is well made; and is not nitro finished. That's the goal anyway. So far.. not many options :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
They are harder to find and because of that often cost more than the usual standards.

Burny Rock N Roll would be poly. Only used ones would be available.

I think the MIJ Bacchus are nitro finish, but maybe Wulfman knows more about those.

Reactions: E.X

E.X

Reaction score
Appreciate the response Roxy :)

Am assuming Wulfman's a member here? Will check.
Not interested in used ones unfortunately; way i see it, only option's an Eastman SB55v, which would be just fine by me (hardware upgrades would happen of course, but that's not a consideration as this would be the case regardless of brand).
Just thought i'd post here, see if maybe i'm missing anything.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, Wulfman is a member here and he definitely likes Bacchus guitars.

Ah, a new one and not used. I'm not sure who might be making one right now if Tokai isn't. Edwards possibly?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Soundhouse in Japan has several Tokai Specials (two p90s, slab), but not any juniors. The only juniors they have must be Chinese as the are priced too low to be MIJ.

E.X

Reaction score
Random, but while looking i came across a Crews 'LP' going for 520K yen! Ouch!
(it has a living mermaid inside, last of its breed am sure, singing in tune with my playing, i know)

Anyway, appreciate the extra info :)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
For Tokai, the D/C are TJ models, the specials are LSS models and the single cut Jr are the LSJ models. I don't think Tokai even made a LSJ until around 2010. I don't remember them making any LSS styles until 2005 or 2006 ?? The TJ series came out in the late 80's sometime. You don't see an abundance of any of them really.

E.X

Reaction score
Hello again brokentoes; and thx for replying :)

Since i've got time until this goes forward, i'll be keeping an eye open anyway.
(not sold on Eastman's "aging" [which i'm against regardless of brand or outcome/degree thereof], otherwise i wouldn't have even made the thread. On the other hand, you can't beat what you get for such a low pricing; I could of course go for something nitro and really brand new, but we'll see)

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I think the MIJ Bacchus are nitro finish, but maybe Wulfman knows more about those.
I think they use a thin poly sealer and then top lacquer. It doesn't age like the original lacquer did on the old guitars. I think the majority of MIJ guitars that say lacquer are like that. You will see people having 30 year old Grecos and Tokais that were supposed to be lacquer and they don't have any checking. The only guitar maker that I know of that has nitro finishes that age and check like 50s/60s nitro is Navigator.

If the OP wants a like new guitar then I would probably say Tokai or Bacchus. Bacchus is still making specials and jrs but the headstock looks a little more goofy now. I have one of the older Bacchus specials and it is pretty nice.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I’ve seen old navigators with no obvious checking. Really makes you wonder..
Some were poly prior to 2000 or so. I think after a certain date they were all nitro. But some have been closet queens and others have experienced temp fluctations and more wear. I am fairly certain that mine was aged on purpose.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have an RLG 90 with no checking and someone else here has some that have massive checking. I guess I should put it out in the truck one winter night and then bring it in and open the case.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I did see a used Tokai one this morning but lousy pics of it. And a used Greco one as well. Both were yellow.

currypowder

Reaction score
Here's an example of a 2010 MIJ Tokai LSJ-80 that I helped a friend procure earlier this year, so they do come up for sale from time to time. I don't know if it was used it NOS, but it ended up being in like new condition for about $600 all in.

I came remember ever seeing a single cut Edwards Junior, only a special.

JamesT

Reaction score
A good point on nitrocellulose lacquer finishes is whether they have plasticizers added or not. Modern nitro finishes added plasticizers to prevent checking and aging. Replica builders and custom shops generally stay true to the old method and use nitro free of platicizers. 80’s Navigators are often poly. The newer ones are more traditional nitro and can age accordingly.

My ‘79 Tokai LS-80 is nitro finished but it is only going to wear from lots of playing. It won’t lacquer check without a razor blade.

The major knocks on poly finish are their plastic feel and acoustic deadening qualities.

E.X

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies folks :)

I didn't mean to (inadvertently) turn this into a finish discussion; i'm after something specific, thus i had to define it so folks would grasp what i'm after.
I am of course much obliged for all your replies, learned something; while i don't ever see me buying something from yahoo auctions (Yahoo of all places), i'm certainly happy to know of Soundhouse.
If anyone else is reading this, i've also heard good things about Ishibashi-music, though it appears that compared to Kurosawa for example, their stock's a lot more limited.

currypowder

Reaction score
i've also heard good things about Ishibashi-music, though it appears that compared to Kurosawa for example, their stock's a lot more limited.
Buying from YJ Auctions certainly takes some effort and there is a learning curve. Probably not worth it if you're looking for one particular guitar.

I have purchased directly from Ishibashi and Kurosawa in the past with no issues.

E.X

Reaction score
Buying from YJ Auctions certainly takes some effort and there is a learning curve
Oh neither's a barrier, i'm just very wary of anything Yahoo related. Their security measures are on average subpar, with the expected results over the years.
Obviously most would now take it into the empirical (i've never run into any issue myself), but that doesn't invalidate the proven fact, nor that it only takes once ^^
Identity/data theft, today, can take you years to recover from. Not worth the risk in my book.

* If not obvious, am very conscious, my standards need not be everyone else's.

Latest Threads