Hi, new here.

Jesus_Malverde

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here. I'm not sure how strict youse are about thread topics or what forum I would even post this in. Anyway, I'm from the Philadelphia suburbs. About 12 years ago I sold my dads factory second '81 Les Paul custom at a shop called the music place in west Berlin NJ. I did so because at the time I was a drug addict. Anyway, now that I've been clean for a decade I really want to search for this guitar and buy it back. I'm still a guitar player and have bought a Les Paul since then that's main, but I would love to get this back before my old man passes away. On the case is stenciled property of J and K Taylor in white spray paint The guitar itself is black with two pickups, not the three. It was all original at the time but some wiring was loose and needed some care. .. Any help about how to go about this new project of mine, or where else I should post this would be great and much appreciated.

Jesus_Malverde

Reaction score
Serial number would be the only way I could see this search even coming close to a find.
Yeah, I don't have that. But instead of it saying SEC it was stamped second in the middle of the headstock and of course the spray painted case. I was hoping that was unique enough. Even if it was stripped you would still see the outline I would assume.

Zungle

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here. I'm not sure how strict youse are about thread topics or what forum I would even post this in. Anyway, I'm from the Philadelphia suburbs. About 12 years ago I sold my dads factory second '81 Les Paul custom at a shop called the music place in west Berlin NJ. I did so because at the time I was a drug addict. Anyway, now that I've been clean for a decade I really want to search for this guitar and buy it back. I'm still a guitar player and have bought a Les Paul since then that's main, but I would love to get this back before my old man passes away. On the case is stenciled property of J and K Taylor in white spray paint The guitar itself is black with two pickups, not the three. It was all original at the time but some wiring was loose and needed some care. .. Any help about how to go about this new project of mine, or where else I should post this would be great and much appreciated.
Any images available...??

fry

Reaction score
Maybe take out an ad in the local craigslist? I’ve seen ads for exactly the same thing, people trying to track down an old piece of gear they used to own.

Zungle

Reaction score
Maybe, I'm going to have to go through the family photo albums.

Yeah,

You'll need good pics , perseverance a pocket full of cash.........and shit load of good luck.

I do hope you find it though.......

I've seen the same situation occur within my family, its a bummer that it happened, but your heart and mind appear to be in the right place now.......

In my experience with this type of thing , your father may appreciate the effort more than the guitar......don't rule out buying him a replacement for the the guitar that was lost.......I have 5 kids and have been through a lot.

While a replacement may not have the history and sentiment of the old guitar........

I would welcome and respect the replacement , I would genuinely be happy and feel good about the effort and the healing and new health one of my children had attained. For me new guitar would new beginning toward a better future for my son,family and what he's been through.

Again good luck....I hope you and your father find peace.

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
Might be cheaper and easier to just buy something similar, and try to modify it to as close to the original as possible.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you need a serial number

and odds are the case has been cleaned, or spray painted and re-sold

There are literally millions and millions of black les pauls out there

dro

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are getting it together Jesus.
Have allot of friends who failed at that.
Unfortunately some of the things we loose on our journey to whom we become. Are just that. Lost lessons.3
Learn from them and move ever forward.

six-string

Reaction score
well probably not Black ones (racist!) but I'm sure there's a couple million Les Pauls in the world. They probably make hundreds a day.
you're right of course.
but that takes the shine off doesn't it?
when you realize that every Zakk,Jimmy and Slash you can think of probably own a Les Paul or two. :(

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Strats and LP's are ... everywhere

Jesus_Malverde

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm still close with my old man so it's not like I'm trying to buy back his approval or love or anything like that. Its more of adventure in a way. My holy grail if you will. I've gotten some information in this thread I didn't realize. Especially that there were lots of factory second '81 Les Paul customs. I'm going by my mom's to check out the family albums. I know there are pictures of my father playing it, probably some of me as little kid trying to play it as well. Probably none of the back of the headstock though. I have an alert on reverb to ding me when an '81 goes up. There's actually a second 81 custom in LA right now. Of course it's not it. I have hope.

redking

Reaction score
I would post craigslist ads in a reasonable radius around where you originally sold it and maybe will good fortune will come your way. I don't know what else you could possibly do short of a very expensive advertising campaign.

Latest Threads