Hi Guys and gals,Half of les Paul maple cap didn’t take stain? Is this normal or?

scozz

Reaction score
There really isn’t anything wrong with the instrument. There’s just a little unstained bit of wood that is purely cosmetic. Gibson doesn’t even cover the guitars finish under its limited lifetime warranty. This is the exact reason why. The instrument is made to be played and not to be obsessed over its finish. Even the holy grail original 1959 bursts are sought after in a variety of colors of faded finishes and flame.

If $2000 is too much to pay for an instrument that has a slight finish blemish then don’t buy it.

The real truth is Gibson doesn’t owe you nothing for the money you pay for their guitars. You can always spend your hard earned cash on something else.

Gibson will take your money if you give it to them.

To be truly honest it is the retailer who should refuse anything from Gibson that they know that will be difficult to sell.

I personally am not that picky about such things. Tone and playability is the utmost importance. Finish is more like I know what I don’t like and flexible with what I do. Gibson guitars are monster instruments and it’s a shame to make them less than that over a blemish.

So carry on with the “ they should be better than this for that kind of money”
rally.
Yup...I agree with everything you say here muddy!!

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Yeah you know what, at the end of the day, I’ve watched Gibson”s building techniques time after time, and what I’ve seen is that.The les Paul standard for instance is an assembly line guitar.However if you watch the building process,you can actually see, all of the hand work that goes into each one.So with that said, it’s impossible, to get every one perfect.I love Fender too,and own lots of stratocasters, but the way they are built is true assembly line fashion, due to the simplicity of the design.The Gibson les Paul however is not simple,and lots of it requires hand fitting and assembly.Thats why I could never understand all the complaints over little things wrong with these les Paul’s. (Oh I paid $2000 for this guitar and it has , say the blemish mine does,and people complain...not to say I don’t understand because I made this post as I was a little worried myself.Again though, for $2000 you are getting a hand made guitar pretty much,in assembly line fashion,so I guess there has to be leinience.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah you know what, at the end of the day, I’ve watched Gibson”s building techniques time after time, and what I’ve seen is that.The les Paul standard for instance is an assembly line guitar.However if you watch the building process,you can actually see, all of the hand work that goes into each one.So with that said, it’s impossible, to get every one perfect.I love Fender too,and own lots of stratocasters, but the way they are built is true assembly line fashion, due to the simplicity of the design.The Gibson les Paul however is not simple,and lots of it requires hand fitting and assembly.Thats why I could never understand all the complaints over little things wrong with these les Paul’s. (Oh I paid $2000 for this guitar and it has , say the blemish mine does,and people complain...not to say I don’t understand because I made this post as I was a little worried myself.Again though, for $2000 you are getting a hand made guitar pretty much,in assembly line fashion,so I guess there has to be leinience.
I like the way you think, and enjoy that great guitar you have there amigo:cheers:

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Thanks man I’m going too, I wanted one of these for a long time.I always wanted a Gibson les Paul standard.Im not going to let something stupid like that bother me,especially knowing what I know from spending an hour watching Gibson build these things.They hand fit the binding and everything ,and this is no custom shop guitar either.Thats just one of the many Hand building and fitting I watched them do with my own eyes.Enjoy these things guys and be proud of what you paid

grumphh

Reaction score
There really isn’t anything wrong with the instrument. There’s just a little unstained bit of wood that is purely cosmetic. Gibson doesn’t even cover the guitars finish under its limited lifetime warranty. This is the exact reason why. The instrument is made to be played and not to be obsessed over its finish. Even the holy grail original 1959 bursts are sought after in a variety of colors of faded finishes and flame.

If $2000 is too much to pay for an instrument that has a slight finish blemish then don’t buy it.

The real truth is Gibson doesn’t owe you nothing for the money you pay for their guitars. You can always spend your hard earned cash on something else.

Gibson will take your money if you give it to them.

To be truly honest it is the retailer who should refuse anything from Gibson that they know that will be difficult to sell.

I personally am not that picky about such things. Tone and playability is the utmost importance. Finish is more like I know what I don’t like and flexible with what I do. Gibson guitars are monster instruments and it’s a shame to make them less than that over a blemish.

So carry on with the “ they should be better than this for that kind of money”
rally.
Of course they owe something to the guy who pays 2k for a few pieces of wood that have been through a CNC router, got glued together and then painted. All by simple factory workers - not highly skilled luthiers.

The expectation that comes with high price is impeccable quality. No more, no less.

And all the usual Gibson shill excuses as for why american manufacturing can't deliver a good product don't count. Bad quality is bad quality, and only truly dumb brand loyalty that is in total denial keeps the Gibson brand alive....

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course they owe something to the guy who pays 2k for a few pieces of wood that have been through a CNC router, got glued together and then painted. All by simple factory workers - not highly skilled luthiers.

The expectation that comes with high price is impeccable quality. No more, no less.

And all the usual Gibson shill excuses as for why american manufacturing can't deliver a good product don't count. Bad quality is bad quality, and only truly dumb brand loyalty that is in total denial keeps the Gibson brand alive....
:facepalm:

Know what you’re buying before you put up your money....

..... if you’re not satisfied,.. get your money back.

They don’t owe you nothing.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score

I understand your point ,but again don’t....as these are hand made guitars give or take.Any way my money is my money and I’m very happy with what I have and would buy again no problem...it’s your decision what you buy

grumphh

Reaction score
I understand your point ,but again don’t....as these are hand made guitars give or take.Any way my money is my money and I’m very happy with what I have and would buy again no problem...it’s your decision what you buy
"hand made" :D :D :D

In the same way that a Toyota is "hand made" perhaps...

...no, if you want a hand made guitar you go to an actual luthier, not a mass production facility :)

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
What I’m saying is that ..yes theee are actually many parts that are done by people ..yes the CNC cuts the body ten the rest is pretty much assembled and fit by hand..yes as a CNC machinist myself I’m pretty sure that’s what I saw.Gibson is pretty much mass produced with a lot of hands on...

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's just a freaking guitar. Perfection is an illusion. A goal, perhaps, but an illusion.

It's the imperfections that define any man-made item. The same can be said about nature. Imperfections abound, and are a part of life.

Art has little to do with perfection. Funny how so many "artists" seem obsessed with perfection.

I admire workmanship. I like well-made guitars. But perfection has nothing to do with the fun. It's just a hunk of wood with strings and pickups. At the end of the day, either it plays and looks OK, or it doesn't.

Expensive does not mean great, and cheap does not mean its crap. It's just a guitar.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Are these guitars finished in nitro? My 2017 Gibson les Paul Traditional, and 2016 Gibson les Paul Standard

Ambrola

Reaction score
Yeah the weight relief thing started in late 1982,.. and every LP would get the 9 hole Swiss cheese treatment after that. 1990 Standards were weight relieved. The desire for non-weight relief Les Paul gained popularity and the Traditional was the platform that Gibson chose to produce those with. Still it is a more Traditional “Standard” than the ever evolving Standards we have today.
I hate weight relieved LP's. They don't have the sustain a old LP does. Maybe it's just me? As to the OP, this guitar looks perfectly normal to me?

endial

Reaction score
Are these guitars finished in nitro? My 2017 Gibson les Paul Traditional, and 2016 Gibson les Paul Standard
Pretty much all Gibson's are nitro finished. Usually, any that aren't are quite conspicuously noted. There are two models that I can recall that weren't. One was a Firebird and one a Special, I think. No recollection of year.
The nitro finish, in some people's eyes is a good 80% of the allure for Gibson guitars. It's pretty huge for me.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
That’s awsome I’m glad to hear that, it’s funny though,I see a lot of guitars finished in nitro that the paint seems to get dull as the guitar ages, even if it is a case queen.I bought one of the rare 1997 Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Fender Stratocasters.This guitar is An 1968 reissue Fender Strat,that is a left handed guitar,and is strung right handed,and is finished in Olympic white nitro.Its still gleaming,although it has been a case queen most of its life.No fret wear

Latest Threads