Hi Guys and gals,Half of les Paul maple cap didn’t take stain? Is this normal or?

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only time i get any love around here is when i make mistakes,... Spelling is the easy part,... typing and remembering what i was trying to type, and getting it done before I'm 5 pages out is the hard part. Then i post it,.. it doesn't make any sense!.. :facepalm:

I try to make the correction and someone has already made a reply to it:facepalm:

I'm gonna lose my license soon,.. I know it!:laugh2:

I think me and Alvin need to put a band together.
Can I at least be a roadie?

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Ok guys, we all want to be roadies and stuff like that, the point at hand here is ...well I don’t know anymore.Thats weird

Here’s a photo of my 2017 Gibson les Paul Traditional in Antique burst,quite the different pattern on the horn as the maple cap shows.

Also Monte John, I took your advice,and I now paid $1650 total for this new 2016 Gibson les Paul standard

Attachments

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
That really does look strange and sloppy. I'd really have to have it in hand to speculate on the cause. But it's not right, though that area of the build can often be a little wonky. If it's really unsightly in the flesh and bothers you, I'm sure it's grounds for a return. Lots of people wouldn't care. I'm sorry that your original, reasonable, interesting post seems to have elicited about 50% useless or even dismissive/hostile responses from people who often clearly had not bothered to even read your specific question and were just going off.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Oh no it doesn’t bother me at all, I just wanted to ask what it could have been?? I’m in no way picky about my guitars like alot of people are.I just was curious as to what it could be.I have seen many shapes of the exposed maple cap area on the horn of the les Paul, but it’s just weird how my exposed maple cap area is like half stained and half not.Maby since these guitars pass through the hands of many different painters, the person who painted this one might have thought to mask off some of my cap and leave this open

BeanoFAN

Reaction score
Dont have a picture, but you can see the maple cap like yours, but mine is stained red (like the back of the guitar). Ill snag a pic when I get home.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Thanks man, yeah $1650 for a brand new les Paul standard is a good deal,that is weird about how the cap shows in the horn but, I have been looking at lots of les Paul’s within the past couple days,and there are lots that are different in that area.Who knows what the person painting it could have been thinking.Maby they tried to leave some of the maple cap unstained so it showed like most every other les Paul does? Since the stain on in the back is pretty dark,and hid the rest of the cap???? I don’t know,but every one of these guitars has some flaw somewhere.Thats a fact,...I had to send 2 back because the pickup coil wire was hanging out the top of the bobbin,the other had all 4 jack plate screws stripped going in sideways,as they were just forced in,and even broke the hole,as the wood fell out of the input jack into my lap...(must have been Friday afternoon at Gibson)

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a new left over 2016 Gibson les Paul standard in honey burst,the guitar is amazing,but I noticed that when you look at the bottom horn,as you can see part of the maple cap showing,under the binding.Part of the maple cap that is showing,seems like it did not take stain,and is white in color while the rest got a little darker.It looks like it was masked off too high up? Can you see how you can see the maple cap,and it seems to be evenly split in half down the middle,and half looks like natural maple color and the other half is darker? Thanks for taking the time.Is something wrong?
I like to think of these things like an artist signature in a painting.....know what I mean?

monty john

Reaction score
Yeah glad you got a partial refund man .. Glad I could help ya!!!!!......it appears to be a "BLEM" guitar that Gibson let slip through the cracks.....back in the day they would label it BLEM and sell it as such....or a 2nd I have see Les Paul's labeled this way.

It just doesn't look like a stain issue...perhaps the body had a flaw and they filled it with a small piece of maple that's what it looks like to me. dunno for sure

Good luck bro

monty john

Reaction score
Also depending upon your area....Guitar Centers are typical Retail centers and have different ratings based on sales and demographics....Here in Medford the Guitar Center is a "C" rating they get the junk.....Las Vegas would be an "A" rating they get the killer guitars and such...just saying

Unless you are buying mail order then its a crap shoot

grumphh

Reaction score
I wouldn't let it bother me.
Of course this shouldn't bother anyone - no one would expect quality workmanship or attention to detail on a mere 2000$ guitar...

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
It’s just a little bit of maple showing .these guitars are hand made assembly line so

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course this shouldn't bother anyone - no one would expect quality workmanship or attention to detail on a mere 2000$ guitar...
There really isn’t anything wrong with the instrument. There’s just a little unstained bit of wood that is purely cosmetic. Gibson doesn’t even cover the guitars finish under its limited lifetime warranty. This is the exact reason why. The instrument is made to be played and not to be obsessed over its finish. Even the holy grail original 1959 bursts are sought after in a variety of colors of faded finishes and flame.

If $2000 is too much to pay for an instrument that has a slight finish blemish then don’t buy it.

The real truth is Gibson doesn’t owe you nothing for the money you pay for their guitars. You can always spend your hard earned cash on something else.

Gibson will take your money if you give it to them.

To be truly honest it is the retailer who should refuse anything from Gibson that they know that will be difficult to sell.

I personally am not that picky about such things. Tone and playability is the utmost importance. Finish is more like I know what I don’t like and flexible with what I do. Gibson guitars are monster instruments and it’s a shame to make them less than that over a blemish.

So carry on with the “ they should be better than this for that kind of money”
rally.

Latest Threads