Hi Guys and gals,Half of les Paul maple cap didn’t take stain? Is this normal or?

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a new left over 2016 Gibson les Paul standard in honey burst,the guitar is amazing,but I noticed that when you look at the bottom horn,as you can see part of the maple cap showing,under the binding.Part of the maple cap that is showing,seems like it did not take stain,and is white in color while the rest got a little darker.It looks like it was masked off too high up? Can you see how you can see the maple cap,and it seems to be evenly split in half down the middle,and half looks like natural maple color and the other half is darker? Thanks for taking the time.Is something wrong?

Attachments

GitFiddle

Reaction score
That's perfectly normal on a Gibson LP. The maple just doesn't take stain the same as the mahogany next to it. Now let's see some pics of the top.
Congrats on the new LP and welcome to MLP. :thumb:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I see what you're talking about.

Looks like whoever masked off the binding, didn't go low enough?

You can see the rest of the maple under the stain. Should be visible all the way to the top of the back.

Macronaut

Reaction score
I see what you're talking about.

Looks like whoever masked off the binding, didn't go low enough?

You can see the rest of the maple under the stain. Should be visible all the way to the top of the back.
Actually, the binding is a uniform width and the maple cap isn’t. So, this is almost always how this area of a LP turns out. And the binding is scrapped, not masked.

monty john

Reaction score
You mean the thin cutaway of the binding that shows the maple cap? This is the way its supposed to be!!!! period.. unless you want wide binding to cover the maple cap yuk?

Tobin1634

Reaction score
Actually, the binding is a uniform width and the maple cap isn’t. So, this is almost always how this area of a LP turns out. And the binding is scrapped, not masked.
^ THIS

this is totally normal on a les paul

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Well yes,what I’m saying is that as you can see, the maple cap is visible on the face of the horn,and yes I love that...I want to see that.

On my new 2017 Gibson les Paul Traditional, in Antique burst.You can see that same thing, in that the maple cap is viable on the face of the horn....but on this guitar they just completely stained over it.On my 2016 Gibson les Paul Standard...I have the maple cap visible,but it looks like half of it is stained and the rest of it was not?? So it’s split down the center

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
See ....I circled the part of the maple cap that is showing on the face of the horn,and it looks like it wasn’t stained,and is natural maple color....if you look to the right you see the rest of the maple cap,but it is darker and looks like it was stained.As if maby they masked the top of the guitar and they masked part of that cap but left the rest alone .so some of it took the stain and some did not

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
May have been over scrapped a bit. Not normal but it can happen.

Past the binding into the wood. Difficult to replace scrapped off stain.

Maple doesn’t stain as deep as mahogany. Not much effort needed to scrape it off.

Last edited:

gcbike

Reaction score
I've owned several that had more maple than that showing .NOR MAL

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Ok then, so it’s normal...and you see what I’m talking about? That there is basically the maple cap showing and it’s shaped like a (Rat tail) going thick towards the neck and it thins out,towards the horn to the end? Basically the thin part looks like it either had masking on it and didn’t take stain or the stain was scraped off there?? So half of the maple cap is stained with the color the back of the guitar is stained, and the other half looks like it didn’t get stained.This is normal? Or ok? Basically only some of the maple cap got stained and some didnt

monty john

Reaction score
Its fkn normal for the maple cap to show period...nothing left here ... good bye

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Its fkn normal for the maple cap to show period...nothing left here ... good bye
Yeah I understand that it’s supposed to show, but on my other les Paul , that also shows...it’s fully stained where this is split in half, so I don’t know if it was a defect and maby they added another piece of wood or something?? It just looks weird, since it’s split in half.It looks like the cap was masked down the middle,and half was stained and half wasn’t....you know $2700.

I’m not sure if you have an alarm that goes off every time I make my first ever reply to this forum, but if I’m annoying you then you can shut that alarm off...I’m not asking for your help so let’s keep the aggression down

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that it’s supposed to show, but on my other les Paul , that also shows...it’s fully stained where this is split in half, so I don’t know if it was a defect and maby they added another piece of wood or something?? It just looks weird, since it’s split in half.It looks like the cap was masked down the middle,and half was stained and half wasn’t....you know $2700.

I’m not sure if you have an alarm that goes off every time I make my first ever reply to this forum, but if I’m annoying you then you can shut that alarm off...I’m not asking for your help so let’s keep the aggression down
It does appear to me, though my eyes have lied to me before, that it has been slightly over-scrapped. Maybe a better lighted pic might help for others to see it.:D

It would show the stain portion of the maple cap and the exposed or over-scrapped portion.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I agree with the others that it's a common thing to happen and with mudface specifically that it was scraped a bit more than maybe it should have been. I wouldn't let it bother me.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Yeah I know what you guys are saying, what was confusing me was just how clean and accurate it was,as far as the transition going from the center of the tail of the capoit towards the rest of it,as if a piece was added or something,I appreciate the help.ill post pics of my Antique burst les Paul traditional.I always wanted a les Paul standard since the late 1990’s and this les Paul traditional reminds me of those standards from then.Vintage tuners, burst buckers and no push pull pots witch I’m not sure exactly how to use on my standard .Its funny how the les Paul standards of today took on a more modernized design ,and the traditional looks like a standard used to be with no weight relief also.Not sure if older standards from the 1990’s had any type of weight relief.If not then this traditional is the old standard

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you guys are saying, what was confusing me was just how clean and accurate it was,as far as the transition going from the center of the tail of the capoit towards the rest of it,as if a piece was added or something,I appreciate the help.ill post pics of my Antique burst les Paul traditional.I always wanted a les Paul standard since the late 1990’s and this les Paul traditional reminds me of those standards from then.Vintage tuners, burst buckers and no push pull pots witch I’m not sure exactly how to use on my standard .Its funny how the les Paul standards of today took on a more modernized design ,and the traditional looks like a standard used to be with no weight relief also.Not sure if older standards from the 1990’s had any type of weight relief.If not then this traditional is the old standard
Yeah the weight relief thing started in late 1982,.. and every LP would get the 9 hole Swiss cheese treatment after that. 1990 Standards were weight relieved. The desire for non-weight relief Les Paul gained popularity and the Traditional was the platform that Gibson chose to produce those with. Still it is a more Traditional “Standard” than the ever evolving Standards we have today.

Latest Threads