Hi everyone, Hey I bought what was supposed to be a 1974 Les Paul but now with it sitting right in front of me, I see some issues that I missed. Help!

Danmax

Reaction score
Okay, The Headstock: The ''S'' in the LOGO looks crooked. Next the O in Gibson isn't open at the top. Also when did Gibson start hand painting ''Gibson'' & ''Les Paul model'' because they all look & feel like they're hand painted.
Next, the Binding on the Front looks like it was partially hand painted, or had some touch up added as well. I believe I can see brush marks on the body. Next is the binding thickness. Right where the Binding starts right where the Cutout begins, you know, on the right hand side of the neck. At any rate, the thickness of the Trim right where the Cutout starts at it's point, measures in at 8.56mm or 0.3385. Next at the bottom of the Curve/Cutout, it measures in at 10.80mm / or 0.4250. So the Binding thickness widens 2.2mm....
I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can because I know everyone is gonna need to see some pictures...

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
We need pics.

However, the wide binding in the cutaway is normal.

Danmax

Reaction score
Okay, I'm doing that now. I'll deal with the spelling of Gibson first since it looks different than any LP I've ever seen..

judson

Reaction score
ok ...go on.....1974 deluxe headstock.....from the net

does it have double ring tuners...like this

1590370502551.png

Danmax

Reaction score
It looks even worse now that it's in front of me
No ''Made In U.S.A.'' on the rear of the Headstock. Since it only has 6 digit S/N although it was purchased early 1976, wwith the Natural Finish, everyone is telling me it's from 1974.

Danmax

Reaction score
I'll go look for the original Tuners since they were replaced but originals were kept.

Danmax

Reaction score
Yep................ Hey, where did my pictures go, lol I was half way through what I have & puff they're lost somewhere...

judson

Reaction score
1590371553197.png
1590371584457.png

1976 ................................................................... 1974

note single ring tuners...........................................double ring tuners

pick one...serial number format is different as well

ok your turn...:photos:

Last edited:

Danmax

Reaction score
Nothing on this one. I was thinking since Natural was an option in 1975, it could have been made then. I was gonna look under the Neck Pickup since Gibson was also putting Made in USA there from time to time. I'll try uploading my pictures again, unless you guys can see them.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Where are you uploading them to? Or from for that matter?

I’m not seeing anything.

Danmax

Reaction score
The 1st and only picture was thatr of the original Tuners. My wife decided to touch the shipping box after I asked her to leave everything along. Now the Tuners are missing. These pictures are high rez but they're copies from the eBay listing. I doubt they're that large but I might have to get my Sony Camera out & make duplicates.

judson

Reaction score
The 1st and only picture was thatr of the original Tuners. My wife decided to touch the shipping box after I asked her to leave everything along. Now the Tuners are missing. These pictures are high rez but they're copies from the eBay listing. I doubt they're that large but I might have to get my Sony Camera out & make duplicates.

copy the link from ebay and post it here....we can see those pics, might be quicker and easier for you

is this it?....im betting it is ....i should have been a detective....lol

prolly this one right?

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Post the link to the eBay sale page.

judson

Reaction score
click my link in post #18...then click on original listing and you will see the entire story with pics...

Latest Threads