Hey what's up with this?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Just watching some old videos - Les and Mary have the jacks on the front - was this done for some reason or are they prototypes?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Not "prototypes". Just early production LPs l, that Les modified.

As far as the top-mounted jack goes, I think Les probably felt it was easier, to plug in from the top?

jimi55lp

Reaction score
Lester and Mary almost always played LP GTs with many custom parts.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at that belly carve on Mary's GT. Fantastic.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Those are DeArmond pickups -like in a Gretsch. They have magnetic pole-pieces like a strat, but screws to adjust their height. Very clear and 'HiFi' single coil pickups.

But WTF is up with the bar of round stock bridge on Les'! Hard to believe there was a time before the tune-o-matic!!

jimi55lp

Reaction score
Mary has an unbound and Lester has only 3 holes on front for control cavity. They had to play them per the contract but never played them stock in the beginning! These weren't just altered but Gibson delivered them to Les with cavity holes where ever he wanted and his has no jack plate on the lower bout side in the "there's no place like home" tube that the OP Oldskoolrob posted But Mary's does have 2 jacks and 1 unused side plate and jack?

Last edited:

jimi55lp

Reaction score
But my point is that Lester's GT has no side lower boute jack and plugs on front whith his body only having 3 front holes drilled while Mary's "unbound" has an unused lower side boute jack and another on front where the tone knob is missing.

el84ster

Reaction score
I might try this.
A master vol/tone setup would give you less loading when you have both pickups on. That position always sounds a little dull to me, and that would help.
maybe part of why ol les did it.

el84ster

Reaction score
Regarding the different knobs, I remember Barney Kessel said he put chicken head knobs on his guitar so could tell the level without having to look.

Latest Threads