Hey Jeff Farkas - NBD For Me!!!!!

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have wanted one for a long time, because I have never had one before. I researched and talked to people who had them and tonight I finally got one.

Meet Penny :)

She is my new little black bunny :D

We have a pet store in town that is actually pretty decent as far as where their animals come from and how they take care of them. This bunny was one that was bred by an employee there, who I talked too a little bit before taking her, and she was really happy she was being taken to a good home.

She's a very curious little thing, and pretty calm too. I know she is around 8 weeks old, but I'm not sure of breed, so I don't know how big she'll get yet. I'm sure I'll be upgrading cages eventually though.

And no...nobody is eating her, not me, not snakes, not cats...har har har.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
She looks cute!
She's very cute - She likes to stand up on her back legs and look around. In the pet store she was standing up eating hay out of my hands. Her companion was just laying there being unsociable not wanting to be touched lol.

Eric Smith

Reaction score
Meat rabbit, black New Zeland is my guess.

Are you positive that it is a doe? If it's only 8 weeks it will be pretty hard to tell. If it is a doe it will develope a dulap; a heavy roll of fat under it's chin. A buck won't have a dulap. You won't see that for a few months though. If it is a doe, she will more than likely get mean when she is in heat. If it is a New Zeland, it will get fairly big being that it is a meat rabbit. Don't forget that rabbits have claws and will scratch worse than a cat if they feel the need to, and their bite is pretty nasty.

BTW,not all rabbits are like that though.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score

Are you positive that it is a doe? If it's only 8 weeks it will be pretty hard to tell. If it is a doe it will develope a dulap; a heavy roll of fat under it's chin. A buck won't have a dulap. You won't see that for a few months though. If it is a doe, she will more than likely get mean when she is in heat. If it is a New Zeland, it will get fairly big being that it is a meat rabbit. Don't forget that rabbits have claws and will scratch worse than a cat if they feel the need to, and their bite is pretty nasty.

The breeder was pretty positive it was a doe, though I didn't bother to ask her what breed it was. I am aware that they can scratch and bite - I deal with large pythons and horses, I am very much used to the hazards of pets lol.

That's fine if it gets big, I will adjust it's enclosure as need be, and it'll get plenty of exercise outside the cage.

I have a little miniature donkey who can get pretty feisty when she's in heat too :laugh2:

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9xQaDAuQw&feature=g-u-u]Baby Bunny - Parry Gripp - YouTube[/ame]

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Recommended Veggies

Select at least three kinds of vegetables daily. A variety is necessary in order to obtain the necessary nutrients, with one each day that contains Vitamin A, indicated by an *. Add one vegetable to the diet at a time. Eliminate if it causes soft stools or diarrhea. Basil
Bok choy
Carrot tops* (Carrots themselves are a treat)
Cilantro
Clover
Collard greens*
Dandelion greens and flowers (no pesticides)*
Endive*
Escarole Mint
Mustard greens*
Parsley*
Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*
Peppermint leaves
Raddichio
Radish tops
Raspberry & blackberry leaves
Romaine lettuce* (no iceberg/light greenleaf)
Watercress*
Wheat grass

* = Contains Vitamin A, please give one each day.
Use Sparingly

Alfalfa, radish & clover sprouts
Beet greens (tops)*
Kale* (!)
Recommended Treats

Carrots
Apple (remove stem and seeds)
Blueberries
Melon
Orange (including peel)
Papaya
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Plums
Raspberries
Strawberries

Sugary fruits such as bananas and grapes should be used only sparingly, as occasional treats. Bunnies have a sweet tooth and if left to their own devices will devour sugary foods to the exclusion of healthful ones. Don't let them guilt you into giving the a whole banana!
/...

jeff_farkas

Reaction score

I had a NZ bunny... it was BIG!!

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very cute just make sure she doesn't get to meet any of the snakes you have.

Strato

Banned
Reaction score
Penny sure would go good with some gravy and biscuits.

Just kiddin you. I know you don't plan on having Penny for a meal.

Eric Smith

Reaction score
The breeder was pretty positive it was a doe, though I didn't bother to ask her what breed it was. I am aware that they can scratch and bite - I deal with large pythons and horses, I am very much used to the hazards of pets lol.

That's fine if it gets big, I will adjust it's enclosure as need be, and it'll get plenty of exercise outside the cage.

I have a little miniature donkey who can get pretty feisty when she's in heat too :laugh2:
My kids used to raise mini rex's and the does would always get feisty when they wanted to be bread. Growl at ya.

Some people can tell what sex they are when they are quite young, so I don't doubt it. We had a rex that we gave away that we thought was a doe and it impregnated the people's other rabbit. We were wrong. If you get a second rabbit, watch them if you put them together because they can be terrritorial.

You do know that they can be litter trained and not have to be caged?

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
My kids used to raise mini rex's and the does would always get feisty when they wanted to be bread. Growl at ya.

Some people can tell what sex they are when they are quite young, so I don't doubt it. We had a rex that we gave away that we thought was a doe and it impregnated the people's other rabbit. We were wrong. If you get a second rabbit, watch them if you put them together because they can be terrritorial.

You do know that they can be litter trained and not have to be caged?
I don't plan on getting her a friend lol...and I know they can be litter trained, but right now, in a room full of snakes who would love to devour her, with kitties prowling around outside who know how to sneak into rooms...yeah, when unsupervised a cage is a MUST. She is in an area where the snakes can't see her, but given the chance to hop around in front of some of the big guys theres no telling if one would push the enclosure open and have a snack.

Latest Threads