Hey Firebird players...

NYPV

Reaction score
Do you guys have issues with the high e string being way less volume then the rest? I have 2 custom wound sets of pups and both are that way. Is it the nature of the beast with FB pups or what? And no its not the guitar strings or the setup:)

LesPaula

Reaction score
Mine seem even all the way across. I'm stumped. Hopefully some other FB owner will come up with something.

Bubba Zanetti

Reaction score
Hello, bank on MLP, after a 6 year hiatus and saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I've got a '13 Firebird and I don't have that issue, trying to figure out why that is happening to your guitar....hmmmm

77custom

Reaction score
I'm sorry, this is the obvious answer. Maybe it's your custom pickups?

I have 5 birds, 1 has the original ceramics in it, one has Kleins, one has Novaks, one has custom set from Dougie here on the forum and one has Gibson P-90's. None of them have the issue you are having.

So I say again, maybe it's your pick ups.

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Nothing like that on my 96...just crappy sounding pickups all around, but it's an even crappy across all strings! :laugh2:

mdubya

Reaction score
Never had a problem, other than using an off-brand string mixed in with my EB Slinky's.

NYPV

Reaction score
Hmmm? OK, maybe I should throw the stock hot Gibsons back in and see, it may be the custom wounds. I've raised and lowered them to no avail. I need to dig deeper now that I know all you guys have no issues, I just assumed thats how they were and deal with it. Thanks

Jnorm

Reaction score
No issues with my stock 2013 V.

Edit...just a thought... how is the break angle on the strings? Maybe the high E is hitting the bridge and causing the issue?

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Hmmm? OK, maybe I should throw the stock hot Gibsons back in and see, it may be the custom wounds. I've raised and lowered them to no avail. I need to dig deeper now that I know all you guys have no issues, I just assumed thats how they were and deal with it. Thanks

There are only so many things it can be. You mentioned in the OP that strings and setup were not an issue. What exactly are including under the "setup" umbrella? There are lots of little twists and niggles that can live under there.

NYPV

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I kind of guessed that FB pups were just that way so I didn't really go beyond the pup height adjustments. I figured the end of the pickup had a weaker magnetic field. I am pretty knowledgeable on Gibson setups, and everything appears good but it could be a nut or saddle issue. I will get into it later and see

Just tried it acoustically and the high e rings like a champ, so I gotta get into it

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Weaker on BOTH pickups?
I always raise the treble side a little higher.
BTW...lowering the original pickups, swapping the .022 caps for .047 and slightly rolling off the tone really helps ;)
As soon as you roll of the tone even a little, and let that cap do it's thing, you can hear that high end sizzle all but disappear.

cherrick

Reaction score
original late-model Firebird ceramic pickups sug bilge water.

NYPV

Reaction score
original late-model Firebird ceramic pickups sug bilge water.

heh?

I put the stock ones in and its good. So it was the lowest output winds I had in there (6.6k - B and 6.1k - N) and IDK why its weak at that end. Btw, it was just the bridge. So I have 3 sets of FB pups I don't love and don't want to buy another, I'm gonna try and get along with the stock ones for now. Maybe I just don't like Firebirds?? Plays great though, I should of just got Lollars, Novaks or Kleins from the start

Jnorm

Reaction score
Have you contacted the winder? Maybe they can work something out with you.

NJDevil

Reaction score
No issue with my '97 BUT......the high E is stronger when I use thicker gauge strings. I have D'addario .10s on there and swapped the high E out and replaced it with a .12.

I love the stock pups. I bought it to play both Johnny Winter and Skynyrd and that's exactly what it does the best. An added bonus is a T-Bone Walker-esque tone when the amp is dialed just right. I never thought I'b be playing jump blues on a Firebird but I love mine.

Latest Threads