Hey F-150 owners, the F-150 EV is officially unveiled. Ford Lightning, here you go.

DotStudio

Reaction score
it's interesting to me that it's growing. There has to be a tipping point right? I mean you need adapters (people) to switch to electric, but you need the infrastructure in place to attract people to it, but you can't build the infrastructure if you don't have the people. It's an interesting balancing act and makes me wonder at what point it will tip over far enough where people are like, "yeah this isn't going away"

Some of the math is interesting too. Like in that video he says he went 2,000 miles on the equivalent of like 15 gallons of gas.

I can see the argument being made that while yes it requires energy or fossil fuel to create the electricity to power that car 2,000 miles, but maybe it's less energy than what's required to produce the gas for a regular car to drive 2,000 miles.

I'm interested in the math of energy consumption between the two types of vehicles.

Then like my hybrid, it uses way less gas and the energy created by the wheels turning is what recharges the battery. So I never have to plug it in, I like that, it charges itself. It just switches between battery and engine as it needs to.
You'll never need an oil change for the rest of your life either. No leaking seals. Spark plugs. No gears to crap out in your transmission.

From a pure performance and maintenance standpoint, it's the superior technology by a wide margin. Infrastructure and range are the only stumbling blocks, but the tech is still in its relative infancy. It'll get there.

Build nukes.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I think the right solution is to keep working and improving the technologies…ICE including diesel and EVs both hybrid and plug in as well as fuel cell/hydrogen. Let the market decide which is best. Individuals can and should be able to buy what’s best for their own needs.

If city, county, state and federal governments want to go all electric or whatever suits their needs, that’s great. The wrong solution IMHO, is to force a solution, that may or may not be the best for the long term.

Human beings are both terrifying and wonderful, we invent, improve and discover new stuff all the time. As long as the technology improves and MPG improves and emissions shrink, we’re on the right track.

Central planning is almost never the right scheme.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are there any estimates of how much range will be reduced if you're pulling a trailer or a boat? I know that it's weight dependent, but a ballpark is fine.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
My last post on this subject, I promise. According to a post above, Ford has received 44,000 reservations at $100 each — from people who have no way of knowing whether the truck they want will be within their price range. And posts have reported that they will have no way of knowing for about six months. So Ford has borrowed $4,400,000 from the public interest free. As P. T. Barnum said — Oh, never nind!

Olds442

Reaction score
My last post on this subject, I promise. According to a post above, Ford has received 44,000 reservations at $100 each — from people who have no way of knowing whether the truck they want will be within their price range. And posts have reported that they will have no way of knowing for about six months. So Ford has borrowed $4,400,000 from the public interest free. As P. T. Barnum said — Oh, never nind!
yeah well they just lost $100 this week. take that ford!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
interesting

I think that those video screens are technically illegal in some places. If they aren't they should be.

I would think that they would be illegal in many states. We probably need to update these laws to include all computer screens. Here are a couple examples where I think they are already on the wrong side of the law.

CONNECTICUT
No television screen or other device of a similar nature shall be installed in any position where it may be visible to the driver or may interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle. Exempts devices used to assist the operator while backing, parking, or maneuvering at a speed of not more than 12 mph; monitoring passengers seated rearward of the operator; to enhance or supplement the operator’s view of the roadway or to assist the operator in object detection; for control, instrumentation, navigation purposes; or that are automatically disabled whenever the vehicle is in motion.

FLORIDA
No motor vehicle operated on the highways shall be equipped with television-type receiving equipment so located that the viewer or screen is visible from the Driver’s seat. A global positioning system device may be placed on a windshield if it does not hinder the driver’s line of sight.

Last edited:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that video is on point. I agree with everything he said.

Olds442

Reaction score
and i was refunded my $100 reservation payment in full.

thanks Ford, never doubted you for a second.

Latest Threads