Hey all. Have a question about an R8 that got slightly damaged in shipping

goodguy

Reaction score
First, sorry about the damage - I have an R8 and they are amazing guitars.
Second, WTF would you ship a guitar like that via USPS ??? :confused:

judson

Reaction score
if you paid under $2800 ask for a $100 or $200 claim, go buy some knobs and a few new pots and do the work yourself.

if you paid over $3300 -$3500 i would get as much as you could......but still just do it yourself

its an easy fix,

it looks great...it will be fine :dude:

Digitus

Reaction score
I would seek refund from seller for the damage. Its ultimately his/her responsibility to pack guitar and ship.
I would assist the buyer if they needed assistance with the claim but I would not personally be filing the claim. IMO that is the sellers responsibility

Last edited:

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
I would seek refund from seller for the damage. Its ultimately his/her responsibility to pack guitar and ship.
I would assist the buyer if they needed assistance with the claim but I would not personally be filing the claim. IMO that is the buyers responsibility

No it is the sellers responsibility to deliver the goods as they were advertised.

You can Google the federal consumer protection laws but basically you have the right to refuse any item delivered to you within a reasonable time period (usually 72 hours) if you have determined it to be defective or not as described. At that point the seller must provide a refund and return shipping unless you make other arrangements such as a partial refund or repair.

Digitus

Reaction score
No it is the sellers responsibility to deliver the goods as they were advertised.

You can Google the federal consumer protection laws but basically you have the right to refuse any item delivered to you within a reasonable time period (usually 72 hours) if you have determined it to be defective or not as described. At that point the seller must provide a refund and return shipping unless you make other arrangements such as a partial refund or repair.

It was late last night mixed my words.
Of course it's the sellers responsibility.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
It was late last night mixed my words.
Of course it's the sellers responsibility.

No problem. But it was good to mention anyway because a lot of buyers are not aware of their rights when things do not go well with a purchase.

Cheers.

Digitus

Reaction score
No problem. But it was good to mention anyway because a lot of buyers are not aware of their rights when things do not go well with a purchase.

Cheers.

Nice looking guitar by the way!!!

Dazza

Reaction score
Hey all. Picked up a nice R8 off the forums here and I love it. Problem is, USPS took 8 days to deliver a 3 day priority package and managed to bang it enough to crack all the knobs, the bridge tone knob seems now shorter than the rest, and seems like it has very sporadic effect through the pot sweep. There are some cracks in the lacquer between the pots(looks like relic checking).

I’m going to file a claim but they want estimates for repairs. I live 2-3 hours away from any luthier shops. I don’t trust the local shops.

I assume I shod get a quote to fix the knobs and pots, and an estimate of devaluation due to cracking. Any thoughts on who else I could get a quote from? Maybe someone on the internet??? Reputable?

Edit pics added. Sorry i haven’t had time to give her a proper photo shoot

If this is your 1st Historic the 'sporadic' volume control you mention may just be the nature of audio taper pots. They don't have a uniform 1-10 sweep like linear taper pots. Unless something is obviously wrong with them, either physically or they simply don't function, there's no benefit in replacing them. Only the effort and expense.
Knobs also do not sit perfectly level with each other due to the curvature of the top and relative thickness. Plus they may sit higher or lower on the pot shaft.
Knobs are easy and cheap to replace. Those inner cracks are common, the outer ones less so.
The small finish crack/check lines are unfortunate but they do happen naturally over time with heat/humidty, or possibly over tightened nut or possibly contact as you suggest. They may have been there already and hard to see in pictures except at a certain angle. How much they bother you is your decision.
Lovely looking guitar.

Daz

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
If this is your 1st Historic the 'sporadic' volume control you mention may just be the nature of audio taper pots. They don't have a uniform 1-10 sweep like linear taper pots. Unless something is obviously wrong with them, either physically or they simply don't function, there's no benefit in replacing them. Only the effort and expense.
Knobs also do not sit perfectly level with each other due to the curvature of the top and relative thickness. Plus they may sit higher or lower on the pot shaft.
Knobs are easy and cheap to replace. Those inner cracks are common, the outer ones less so.
The small finish crack/check lines are unfortunate but they do happen naturally over time with heat/humidty, or possibly over tightened nut or possibly contact as you suggest. They may have been there already and hard to see in pictures except at a certain angle. How much they bother you is your decision.
Lovely looking guitar.

Daz

I have two R9’s and this R8. Plus several standards etc…. This pot is not right. Curvature I’m aware of. Something dented pot

GermHerm

Reaction score
Buy some knobs and pot at StewMac and do a home repair.

surge98

Reaction score
USPS is the absolute worst choice to ship anything of value. Consider yourself fortunate that you even received it in the first place.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Well sadly, UPS is worse by me. But shipping a guitar is very stressful and prone to damage. Our hubs around here are staffed by hamm fisted Neanderthals. Whatever the carrier. He packed it well. I don’t blame him. USPS took 8 days to deliver a 3 day package and biffed it a bit. Not the end of the world. I love the guitar and I’ve played this more than any of my reissues. This fat neck is like a nice titty in my hand

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's absolutely normal on a reissue. Those are long shaft pots.
Not sure if i'm reading you right, long shaft are not standard on reissuesI have owned, i have had nine over the years 2004 to present, all have been short shaft.

I would also claim from courier, if they accepted insurance payment, they delivered a damaged guitar, its not cheap to expect it to be made right.

Jeroen Gevers

Reaction score
Not sure if i'm reading you right, long shaft are not standard on reissuesI have owned, i have had nine over the years 2004 to present, all have been short shaft.

I would also claim from courier, if they accepted insurance payment, they delivered a damaged guitar, its not cheap to expect it to be made right.

I was under the impression that they used long shafts cause the knobs float higher above the body than on a standard run from the mill lp.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
I was under the impression that they used long shafts cause the knobs float higher above the body than on a standard run from the mill lp.

There are 3 heights typically used in guitars - long shafts on regular Gibson models, historic height (short shaft) like on a '59 Les Paul, and reguar short shaft like on a Strat.

Gibson Standard Les Paul
500k-Ohm-Audio-Taper-Potentiometer-0-256-256.png

Gibson Historic Les Paul
PPAT-059_angle copy.png

Fender Stratocaster
0990830000_merch_frt_001_nr.jpg

Last edited:

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
But why is it then that the knobs lay higher?

Because the control cavity on a historic Les Paul is routed so that the maple cap is very thin where the pots are installed. The guitars with the knobs closer to the body are because they have added the washer to the pot to adjust the height correctly. They are definetely not long shaft pots. I have not seen long shafts on any historic Les Paul.

Jeroen Gevers

Reaction score
Because the control cavity on a historic Les Paul is routed so that the maple cap is very thin where the pots are installed. The guitars with the knobs closer to the body are because they have added the washer to the pot to adjust the height correctly. They are definetely not long shaft pots. I have not seen long shafts on any historic Les Paul.

Thank you for the explanation

Latest Threads