Hey all. Have a question about an R8 that got slightly damaged in shipping

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Hey all. Picked up a nice R8 off the forums here and I love it. Problem is, USPS took 8 days to deliver a 3 day priority package and managed to bang it enough to crack all the knobs, the bridge tone knob seems now shorter than the rest, and seems like it has very sporadic effect through the pot sweep. There are some cracks in the lacquer between the pots(looks like relic checking).

I’m going to file a claim but they want estimates for repairs. I live 2-3 hours away from any luthier shops. I don’t trust the local shops.

I assume I shod get a quote to fix the knobs and pots, and an estimate of devaluation due to cracking. Any thoughts on who else I could get a quote from? Maybe someone on the internet??? Reputable?

Edit pics added. Sorry i haven’t had time to give her a proper photo shoot

6AF77A55-F2D4-4C89-84D2-FDCD1836AC04.jpeg
1C849F26-328F-4352-A580-50498111EEDD.jpeg
90E00DDA-A5A0-47FB-8933-2657E7780EA2.jpeg
4AA797D5-7F56-44CE-8FA3-B08722861E36.jpeg
00944A42-C256-437B-B19E-704A1EB1D1E6.jpeg
7E5A6E01-5817-42CB-92D9-E596366F0A3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cracks in the knobs seems pretty typical,although the finish checking doesn’t. My 2003 R7 had cracked knobs as new. Are you sure that the damage wasn’t pre-existing?

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pics please.

Dilver

Reaction score
Changing the knobs and replacing the pots (if necessary) shouldn’t cost much beyond the cost of the parts. Any competent tech could do that in less than an hour. The cracked finish is more the issue… hopefully, the force didn’t crack the wood.

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I’ll get pics tomorrow. Been a hell week at work and beyond tired!!! No cracks in wood I can tell. I think something just pressed a bit to cracked the knobs and ever so slightly cracked the finish, but thankfully didn’t crack the wood! Sorry for poor grammar. On phone and tired beyond belief!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can believe it, cracks to finish likely caused from it face planting at some point in its journey. as the knobs are cracked the pressure must have been pretty hard.

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you for keeping a great guitar and not letting some superficial damage otherwise ruin a HNGD. As been said, pots are easy to replace and replacement knobs should be easy to come by as well Filing a claim is a pita but don’t let that steal any of the enjoyment of your new axe!

and don’t forget to post pics

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Good for you for keeping a great guitar and not letting some superficial damage otherwise ruin a HNGD. As been said, pots are easy to replace and replacement knobs should be easy to come by as well Filing a claim is a pita but don’t let that steal any of the enjoyment of your new axe!

and don’t forget to post pics
Yeah to be honest, I was so nervous about the neck, headstock getting cracked or damaged, And relieved when it appeared to be fine, I didn’t even notice the knobs until later on that evening. And my friend is the one who noticed the cracks in the finish. Either way, I love this guitar and it’s not going anywhere.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Cracks in the knobs seems pretty typical,although the finish checking doesn’t. My 2003 R7 had cracked knobs as new. Are you sure that the damage wasn’t pre-existing?
I didn’t see any cracks in the knobs when I looked at the for sale pictures. I will go back and look again though.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Changing the knobs and replacing the pots (if necessary) shouldn’t cost much beyond the cost of the parts. Any competent tech could do that in less than an hour. The cracked finish is more the issue… hopefully, the force didn’t crack the wood.
my main problem for getting any estimates, is I live in rural Illinois and the nearest town with any sort of luthier is 30 to 40 minutes away(guitar center and a local mom/pop not well regarded). I do not have any confidence in them. I would likely need to go to Chicago, in which case it’s a 2 Hour drive each way. I just don’t have that sort of free time. I am happy enough to live with it as it is. But do think the post office insurance should reimburse me something. I would like to find some sort of a luthier I could get a quote through online , I would be happy to pay them for their time. But I’m not sure at this point if it’s even worth the hassle. I’m not sure what kind of money I should claim. Part of me wants to try to push it a little bit because I know invariably they’re going to come back with some lowball offer, which might be all I really wanted in the first place. I would like to retain originality for resale value sake in replacing knobs and parts. I’m not sure if custom shop guitars have special parts or if they’re just common parts.

Just ballpark guessing, what do you guys think as far as repair costs and damage:devaluation for the cracks etc.? What would be fair?

Last edited:

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
my main problem for getting any estimates, is I live in rural Illinois and the nearest town with any sort of luthier is 30 to 40 minutes away(guitar center and a local mom/pop not well regarded). I do not have any confidence in them. I would likely need to go to Chicago, in which case it’s a 2 Hour drive each way. I just don’t have that sort of free time. I am happy enough to live with it as it is. But do think the post office insurance should reimburse me something. I would like to find some sort of a luthier I could get a quote through online , I would be happy to pay them for their time. But I’m not sure at this point if it’s even worth the hassle. I’m not sure what kind of money I should claim. Part of me wants to try to push it a little bit because I know invariably they’re going to come back with some lowball offer, which might be all I really wanted in the first place. I would like to retain originality for resale value sake in replacing knobs and parts. I’m not sure if custom shop guitars have special parts or if they’re just common parts.

Just ballpark guessing, what do you guys think as far as repair costs and damage:devaluation for the cracks etc.? What would be fair?
Replacing the pots is easy. Easier than a pickup swap as you don’t even have to loosen the strings. All you need is a few simple tools and basic soldering skills. As far as the finish is concerned those character marks look cool. Like very natural stress checking

DanD

Reaction score
The pots will be an upgrade. There are better looking knobs out there.

I'd do both of those upgrades just because.

Nice top!

Enjoy :cheers:

calieng

Reaction score
A few things to consider....

Check inside the control cavity for any cracks in the underside of the maple cap. This looks like compression damage so the top wood may have a few light cracks that can be sealed with instant glue if you have decided to keep the guitar.

The pots should all be replaced. Mojotone sells some reasonable priced CTS pots but there are lots of other sources. Same with the knobs.

I usually add a washer under the pots to lower the knobs. I do not like them sticking up that much.

All in parts and finish crack I would request a $500 partial refund.

Good luck and enjoy your guitar.

Roxy13

Reaction score
This same thing happened on a singlecut I bought from Japan for my niece. Two of the pots were smashed as well as the knobs. As it turned out on hers it wasn't such a bad thing as it was a left handed guitar but had right handed pots and knobs. I made her a proper left handed harness then and got her some left handed knobs too.

goodvibes

Reaction score
Whoever installed those pots have them way to high above the top! No wonder they are cracked. I’m wondering if they are even the correct shaft length. Do you have a pic of the control cavity?

zdoggie

Reaction score
wow if it isnt gibson screwing up something the postal people thake up the slack damnest thing I ever saw.

zdog

bmb89

Reaction score
Is it a newer r8? I’ve noticed on a few recent ones I’ve had there’s been checking on most of them stemming from the pots, as I think they’ve been uniformly over tightening the nuts on the pot which in turn ends up causing some minor finish checking. Nothing that bothered me but it seems it’s becoming common as I’ve never seen it until the last few years(2018 and newer)

Jeroen Gevers

Reaction score
Whoever installed those pots have them way to high above the top! No wonder they are cracked. I’m wondering if they are even the correct shaft length. Do you have a pic of the control cavity?
That's absolutely normal on a reissue. Those are long shaft pots.

Latest Threads