Heritage H157 Black Beauty

Barryj

Reaction score
This is a 1992 Heritage H157 - and it's everything a Les Paul Custom should be, at a much better price. Ebony board, multi-ply binding, gold hardware, and perfect balance and playability. But make no mistake about this particular one - it's a player, and has the wear to show for it. Multiple small dings, and buckle rash on the back (doesn't show well in the pictures as none of it breaks the finish, but it's there). Also has nitro burn on both sides of the headstock from a wall hanger (doh!) - but no breaks or repairs.

Lots of hardware changes, too - but all for the better. The ugly Schaller bridge and tailpiece were changed to a proper Gotoh stoptail and bridge. Tuners are locking Grovers (easy string changes!), gold Dunlop dual design locking strap buttons, bone nut as well. Pickups are Golden Age from a later Heritage - A2 bridge and A5 neck (old Schallers are long gone) - paper-in-oil capacitors added as well. "Grip" speed knobs (I really should keep these - the're awesome!). The hardshell case is actually a deluxe Epiphone case - scoff if you will, but it's actually one of the nicest Les Paul cases I've ever seen!

Slim 60's neck profile on this one - mild fretwear on the first 3 frets of the G and B strings, but nothing that affects playability. Weighs 9 lbs. 12 oz. (Look Ma! It's a Heritage that weighs less than 10 lbs! Haha)

Tons of closeups in the picture gallery - https://photos.app.goo.gl/duyupynF6iSNTCQE9

Priced accordingly at $1,450 to your door. Trades aren't likely, but you never know - only thing I'm actively looking for right now is a nice rosewood board Tele, but it would have to be a heck of a deal.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

bblooz

Reaction score
Do you have measurements of the thickness of the neck (at first and 12th fret)? Also, what's up with the tuners on the bass side of the headstock? They don't seem to line up........

Barryj

Reaction score
Just measured the neck - it's .800 first fret, .926 12th fret.

Here's another shot of the headstock - the Grovers were mounted using the original tuner screw holes to keep from re-drilling. The 2 E tuners do look a little wonky due to this (tilted) - but they don't move as they're screwed into the headstock.

Barryj

Reaction score
Started digging up images of other H157’s - and found mine wasn’t the only one with slightly wonky Grovers (even stock ones!)

Guess they were carrying on the Gibson tradition up in Kalamazoo (haha)

Latest Threads