Here we are again my Friends, when will it end.

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
As some of you know I recently traded for a mint condition Fender HR Deville 410 III. The guitar I traded I had nothing much in at all. Anyway I found there wasn't much love for this amp, one reason because of the OD channel. I find because of 4 Alnico 10s this amp is a little on the dark side are dull maybe. The clean channel sounds great, but can get boring at times. Anyway I think there is hope for this amp. Since I don't have a lot of money in it, I am thinking about loading it with 4 Eminence LiL Buddys. I have some money coming in next month. And because the Fender Speakers are rated 30 watts at 8ohms putting 2 of them in my PV DB 210 getting rid of the Blue Marvels, Killing two turds with one flush. What do you all think of this Idea, is it worth it. Then I was just told that maybe I should take the PV DB Blue Marvel 10s and put them in a X fashion in the Fender, and then put the Fender alnico's in the PV DB. The Blue Marvel 10s are made by Eminence and I was told were close to their Cajuns.

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
If I did put the PV DB speakers in the Fender with the Alnico 10s, would the wattage make a different. They are the same ohms but the PV 10s are rated at 60 watts and the Fenders are rated at 30 watts.

dspelman

Reaction score
The rated wattage of the speakers doesn't make a difference, but sensitivity (efficiency) differences might. A speaker rated to put out 103 dB (1M 1W) will generally be louder than one rated at 97 dB and will dominate the overall sound of the cabinet.

Unrelated to that, a speaker with a prominent mids-hump (and all else equal) will probably dominate a speaker that has flat response.

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
Sorry it took me a while to get back. It took a while for Peavey and Fender to get back to me. The Fender is a Alnico special V1030 30 watts 8ohms 97 dbs, the Peavey is 60 watts 8ohms 96 dbs. According to Eminence you can have a 2 db lead way wattage will not make a different. The guy from Eminence also stated the Blue Marvels are very close to the Eminence Delta Demons 10s, that was also their alternative speaker for the PV DB 210. What do you think now guys this is what I was told, of course he was trying to sale me on 4 speakers I can't afford right now.

12watt

Reaction score
Get the least efficient speakers you can if you find the clean channel dull - if it is anything like my old DeVille it doesn't start sparkling till about 3.5 on the dial and by then it is bloody loud.

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
I know one thing I am not in love with the alnico V1030s in this amp, I have hardly anything in the amp so I think its worth working with a little. I have decided 4 LiL Buddys are Cajuns, Copperheads would cost me a little over $300.00 new. I don't know if I want to pay that. I had a old Peavey Classic 50 410 except for the reverb sound better then this amp. I think it was loaded with 4 Blue Marvels, I just don't think they were called Blue Marvels at the time. Heck I have 2 Blue Marvels maybe if it don't work out with 2 and 2 of the fenders, I will get to more Blue Marvels they are cheap who knows. The Fender is New so maybe I should give the speakers a chance to break in more.

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
You know right after I gave my last reply, I went over and hook up my LP to the HR Deville 410 III. I got to tell ya, I was burn out trying to find a sweet spot on that amp, so I thought what the heck one more time before changing speakers. A buddy told me said Gary your a Old Metal Head. I use to play Christain Metal and a lot of mids were not my friend. I use to scoop my mids on my Boogie Mark III heads, and pedals. Anyway back to the amp my mids never went past 4, so he told me to crank them a little. MY EQ settings now are Bass 8, Mids 10, Treble 7, Presents 5, Reverb 5. Man it seem like the amp came alive a different amp, even the OD channel is better on the more with my LP. MY LP is loaded with Dimarzio 36th anniv's. So far so good I hope it will sound good to me tomorrow. I wrote the settings down and tape them inside the amp. I am still going to use a overdrive pedal. Funny how things work I am not a Metal player anymore sold all that stuff. I just play Blues and then worship at church with my PV DB 210, It was easy to dial in a good sound, seems like everyone likes it that play around me.

MiniB

Reaction score
If the stock 10's are these...

10", 8 ohm, 30 watt, Blue Frame Alnico Magnet Speaker | Parts | Fender Guitars
Fender10AlnicoSpeakerOne.jpg

I actually like these a lot in a 4-10 as they remind me of the original CTS alnico 10s that used to come in some older Super Reverbs. And I like them tons better than the 'reissue' Jensen P10Rs.

I would also suggest if you haven't done so, good tubes in the amp and biasing it correctly. That always has a lot to do with what kind of 'life' and response you're getting from it. But the, the alnicos still may be compressing too much for you when you turn up (some like that), so in that case, yeah a stronger and clearer ceramic speaker for at lest two of them might help out.

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
No they are V1030 but they are Alnico according to Fender specs. They are a special design for this amp they say.

Attachments

• 800px-Fender_Hot_Rod_Deville_410_Speakercab.jpg
    800px-Fender_Hot_Rod_Deville_410_Speakercab.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 73

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
That is what I thought, but when you go to Fender and look at the amp it reads special design alnico. So I emailed them and they say Alnico, I sent them a picture of the speaker.

MiniB

Reaction score
That is what I thought, but when you go to Fender and look at the amp it reads special design alnico. So I emailed them and they say Alnico, I sent them a picture of the speaker.
http://angela.com/fenderspeaker108ohm30wattvintageceramic.aspx

Well...they're probably wrong, because no alnico has a magnet like that. You should email them a link to this thread, maybe.

But again, what was it that you thought you weren't getting out of them, or what more are you looking for?

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
I emailed Fender sent them another picture, also copy of their specs in case someone was lazy and just didn't look. Also a link to here so we will see if they get back to me and see if they are ripping people off.

MiniB

Reaction score
They also misspelled 'special', so who knows what's going on with that.

G.L. Mitchell

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately this appears to be a typo on our website. The Blues Deville Reissue is the version that has Alnico speakers from factory. I wouldn’t feel ripped off at all as a big portion of the world prefer the smoother sound of the ceramic magnet in guitar amplifiers.

The Blues Deville is a little more expensive as those speakers and the tweed covering are a little pricier but if you like the tone and function of the amplifier you have then I think you made the right choice in your purchase. I personally prefer the sound of the ceramic speakers myself as Alnico speakers can tend to have a pretty bright top end and that is not my personal preference in a 410 style amplifier.

Michael Roberts
Consumer Relations Representative
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
(Fender, Squier, Gretsch Guitars, Guild, Charvel, Jackson, Genz-Benz, SWR, EVH, Groove Tubes)
17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Telephone: 480-845-5134
Fax: 480-367-5262
E-Mail: [email protected]

MiniB

Reaction score
I'm kinda' surprised they're still issuing those Eminence alnicos in any amp, though. Thought they had been dropped a while back for the 'reissue' Jensen P10R's. Glad though, because I think they're much better sounding than the Jensens. As I mentioned before, very much like the CTS alnico 10's that came in Blackfaces/Silverfaces and especially nice as 4-10's. Old school crunch. Didn't like them when used in 2-10s though, a bit too weak for it.

Latest Threads