Here is my story ... not liking the new Gibson

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an '18 Explorer and a '19 SG Special. Both have no issues and feel just the way I expect Gibsons to feel. They feel good in my hands.

I haven't played any '20s yet.

Deftone

Reaction score
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, it's all good. I really don't want to read the same opinion all the time.

Just a thought, but I would say that if you focus on playing one specific guitar, especially for then other guitars with slight variations might be glaringly more difficult to play. I have a bunch of different ones and I'm constantly rotating so none of them feel bad to me.

My newest guitar is a 2014 Les Paul Standard Light and it is by far the easiest to play IMHO.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok...

yesterday, I ask a local guitar god. He is probably more into gear then I am. He is an excellent player and knows music as a whole: (multi-instrumentalist, gigging, solid engineering chops, well read, and solid theory). When I mentioned my experience, he suggested that what he has seen is that the QC have dropped a bit but at the same time, the good LPs are some of the best he has ever played. That would fit in with what many have said here. Therefore, I have just not played one of the really solid ones.

I will admit, I made a minor judgement (because it was based on my feelings, and I was aware of that) without serious looking into the situation. Thinking back, I think it was about three new LPs that I grabed, and the other two were used.

It is true, I have been playing feders a lot more. It would surprise me, if I was no longer an gibson “guy”, but these things do happen. I still own way more gibsons then any thing else.

I will play more LPs and see what happens. If I do that, I will come back with very particular experiential information. Who knows.

Thank you for allowing me to express myself.

rogue3

Reaction score
When i walk into a shop,i walk by the gibbys as well.It's the price that turns me off.But i am sure there are a few great ones,but, i wouldn't know.I go right to Telecasters.

I moved to tele's a few years ago,but kept my old LP's.long since paid for,so,wth. Sold one R8.

But i picked up my old LP's again recently,just to confirm what i have been missing.Its all there.

What goes around comes around i guess. :hmm: Fickle stuff.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am bumping this. I am not going to say much, and you can completely disagree but Gibson does send out less the perfect guitars more often then the price would justify. I suggest if you are not knowledgeable about guitar frets, and necks, have a luthier take a look at your new purchase within the time allowed for a return. Or if you feel a little funky about the guitar and think it just needs a setup, think twice before you buy. I know the Gib is a huge company and rolls out tons of guitars, but QC is important and if we belive that the free market should function according to Adam Smiths principals, Gib has to be held accountable and transparency is paramount.

Phil W

Reaction score
A just society can only be built through empathy. Think big. Think love.
A just society can only be built through pragmatism. Think big. Think logically.

Fixed it for you ...

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am bumping this. I am not going to say much, and you can completely disagree but Gibson does send out less the perfect guitars more often then the price would justify. I suggest if you are not knowledgeable about guitar frets, and necks, have a luthier take a look at your new purchase within the time allowed for a return. Or if you feel a little funky about the guitar and think it just needs a setup, think twice before you buy. I know the Gib is a huge company and rolls out tons of guitars, but QC is important and if we belive that the free market should function according to Adam Smiths principals, Gib has to be held accountable and transparency is paramount.
The free market has not stopped Gibson from selling guitars, some models selling out completely. Occasional poor QC does not seem to be a big deal to the overall market.

dro

Reaction score
I Have checked out and played a lot of Gibson guitars, all levels, for many years. (When the whole robot tuner thing happed, I did start playing more teles and strats). The new Gibsons feel rough. I know it is a subjective thing but, I find myself not grabing a gibson when I am at my local GC. This is pretty wierd for me because I used to really perfer a Gibson. Wondering if any one else has noticed this?
There are no guitar (new) at GC that are even close to playable. They have a guitar tech. But he's kinda like the brightness knob on an old TV set. Don't work.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A just society can only be built through pragmatism. Think big. Think logically.

Fixed it for you ...
How is love opposed to pragmatism ... there are levels of problems and solutions... what do you we use to analyze the problems... how do even have the ability to see the problems... for example someone’s death is not a problem to a psychopath... empathy allows for us to contextualize the issues and thus make decisions that can address the problem. Without empathy there is only a problem when the person without empathy is stoped from doing what they want to do. I posit that if a person only looks at “the numbers”, there is never a solution. And that often the only time solutions are not pragmatic is when a person lacks the ability to commit to a solution. I do not believe that there is a lack of basic needs, only people who have conviced others that it is too expensive to take care of everyone (within a reasonable range). Also why would you want to take my statement and change it. How is that a reasonable argument? Is it done out of respect? Why in this thread? Why now? If you are trying to say something important, say it. We all have assumptions and we all have to make a leap from a tautology to a non-necessary truth to say anything important.

Nintari

Reaction score
At GC? Did you play all two of em? Go to a big shop with a lot of Gibs...

If you are gonna lay out the long cash for something, be adequately informed. One GC is not informed...not by a long shot...

It is worth the effort to make a day of going to wherever has big shops nearest when you are....even if you have to drive for a couple hours....
Two Les Pauls would be a bonanza at my GC. They have a few American-made Fenders and that's about it. All the rest are either used guitars or foreign-made.

Oh, and you can forget about getting a high end amp that hasn't been on the showroom floor and has had their tubes played to the point of needing replaced.

Lester

Reaction score
You played the wrong ones. Or they were wrong for you. Who knows.

Any generalization is dumb.
^ New to this old thread, but I feel obligated to point out that this previous statement is, in itself, a generalization.

That noted, I've found that quality is all over the place on new guitars, regardless of make. I'm not test driving guitars costing much over $2K new, but Gibson, Fender, PRS, it seems like a crapshoot on quality and/or setup (who knows about the quality until you do the setup).

Lester

Reaction score
Two Les Pauls would be a bonanza at my GC. They have a few American-made Fenders and that's about it. All the rest are either used guitars or foreign-made.

Oh, and you can forget about getting a high end amp that hasn't been on the showroom floor and has had their tubes played to the point of needing replaced.
Excluding the special room, My GC has a half dozen new LP's, maybe threee SG's, half dozen Strats, and a dozen Tele's.

Reaction score
Without even bothering read the entire thread, I got rid of a studio that played so good but it wasnt good enough for me at the time.
Badass guitar

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Not much experience with older Gibsons but I played a bunch of the new ones before buying mine and most felt pretty good to play. A few were lackluster and felt rough around the edges, two specifically that I can remember. But I’d say overall there were more good ones than bad.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Not much experience with older Gibsons but I played a bunch of the new ones before buying mine and most felt pretty good to play. A few were lackluster and felt rough around the edges, two specifically that I can remember. But I’d say overall there were more good ones than bad.
This is my take, too. In the last couple of years I've tried/owned a decent handful. Most were from new Original Collection. Out of those, vast majority were nice LPs. Couple are outstanding instruments. A couple had some tooling marks on fretboard binding. Only one, the '11 Traditional, was a turkey. Pretty top but otherwise awful.

Small sample size for sure but is one guy's experience and opinion.

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Do you trade your guitar in every year?

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
To me just about every guitar I pick up in a store feels rough. Regardless of brand. It's a tiny minority that I pick up and actually want to keep playing, Gibson included. They're all out of whack, especially at Guitar Center. Strings are old, action is high, on Fenders I find necks crooked in the socket and trem bridges floating way up high.

Here in Manchester NH Guitar Center is like a mausoleum. Bunch of dead junk on the walls and not a living soul in sight. I'd be more inclined to attribute what OP is describing to their decline as a retailer and just not taking care of their inventory anymore.

Meanwhile the mom and pop Manchester Music Mill is regularly mobbed with people in the middle of a work day. Huge selection of everything at every price range and all pretty well taken care of. It's nice to see David finally getting the hang of that sling and taking Goliath down a notch.

Last edited:

Latest Threads