Here is my story ... not liking the new Gibson

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I Have checked out and played a lot of Gibson guitars, all levels, for many years. (When the whole robot tuner thing happed, I did start playing more teles and strats). The new Gibsons feel rough. I know it is a subjective thing but, I find myself not grabing a gibson when I am at my local GC. This is pretty wierd for me because I used to really perfer a Gibson. Wondering if any one else has noticed this?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At GC? Did you play all two of em? Go to a big shop with a lot of Gibs...

If you are gonna lay out the long cash for something, be adequately informed. One GC is not informed...not by a long shot...

It is worth the effort to make a day of going to wherever has big shops nearest when you are....even if you have to drive for a couple hours....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I don't care what you play. You can play a ZimGar and I'm cool with it....

I love all my Gibs, just like I love my Fenders and all my other branded guitars/basses....

Each brand has peaks and valleys here and there...

A valley in QC does not damn the brand.... It can be an anomaly in production and not a norm....

I once played a Lester Custom that in mere seconds I wanted to woodchipper that piece of shit... Had the bottom growl but missing the bite.... I didn't say it moved down like Duane's Goldie or up in the pissed off honey badger range like RR's Lesters or that heavenly 'conversion' Ed King played in one of his 'at the house vids'... No, the bite didn't move.... It was gone.... Not there.... Pickups and 'lectrics changed... No joy. Zero. Nada....

I didn't judge Gib or Gib Lesters or Gib Lester Customs or Gib Lester Custom Goldies, by that one guitar.... Almost made me ill playing it in mere seconds... No woodchipper so I wanted fire....and lots of it...and it tweren't my guitar even....

I could very well have judged on that one example.... but I didn't.... Devil guitar.... Bad wood.... Real bad wood....

There are both good and not so good examples of anything that comes off the line... The bigger the manu, the far greater the chance that a Jethro will be approved by QC for some dumbass reason and be shipped out...probably to a GC....

Some folks were happy that their new car had a 100K mi bumper to bumper....at just a few thousand mi... when they got a brand spanking new engine... Not all in that model, not all models at all.... Shit happens....

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. People spend hundreds of dollars after spending 2-3K to change things they dislike rather than spend $50 in fuel to find one that's perfect, for them, at that particular moment :D

Reactions: ehb

mdubya

Reaction score
My 2019 LP Special is hard to fault. It was close to perfect out of the box, only requiring a little dialing in of the action to suit my preferences.

I have seen and read criticisms from others, so there must be variations out there.

LPaddicted

Reaction score
I Have checked out and played a lot of Gibson guitars, all levels, for many years. (When the whole robot tuner thing happed, I did start playing more teles and strats). The new Gibsons feel rough. I know it is a subjective thing but, I find myself not grabing a gibson when I am at my local GC. This is pretty wierd for me because I used to really perfer a Gibson. Wondering if any one else has noticed this?
E2AABEA0-37BA-40D6-8CE1-3E4893827208.gif

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that my '13 Tribute was highly modified although there was nothing wrong with it aside from all the black plastics :rolleyes: And I wanted a GT with mini hums.

Anything I've done to my others were for aesthetics. I couldn't buy what I have.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are variations in anything... I have the opinion that the difference in apparent QC from folks like PRS, Suhr, and Gib is simply this. All three buiild Jethros here and there... The difference is that Paul and John have made damn sure that their respective QC knows not to let any bullshit out of the warehouse door. Either bandsaw or write it up and spin it back to be fixed.... I have YET to see a Jethro from either one of those two.... Seen plenty from Gib...but Gib is so much bigger, law of averages says Jethros are being built...but at Gib, some seem to make out the warehouse door...

Law of averages ssay a Jethro hits the out rack every now and then... That doesn't mean it should make it out the door....

A bud bought a high dollar PRS...after an amount of time, the finish bubbled and separated and shit... He called em. They were all over that guitar like donky kong... I think the reason was a bad batch of paint or something. It was immaculate when he first got it... I saw ZERO gigs on that guitar... NONE.... Anyway, they wanted that guitar back immediately... They pretty much rebuilt it.... It was perfect... Magnificent... Cost him zero...nada...zip..... Perfect as it was when he first bought it... That is a major difference... They were all over that situation like the world was on fire.....

I have dealt with Gib support.... Ten days for their first reply. Six days for their reply to my reply.... 16 days and their last was what I had said in my first contact. Totally worthless... Maybe Levi can skraten all HankieJ's inconsistencies out over time....

Gib has always built good gear...just some occasional no-so-goods make it out the back door at Gib unfortunately...

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I did not read all the replies... but, my impression is that there could be some funky emotions going on, with some of the replies.

I have put thousands of hours onto truck fills of LP. That could even be an underestimation. I tend to play the same one for around 3 hours on multiple days. I believe I have a long experience and am very knowledgeable about what I like.

I could be wrong. I do find myself avoiding grabbing a LP lately. I have nit really thought about way, but they have felt not dialed in, not smooth to play. Granted I can get used to any neck shape, I can asses what I do nit like about the PUs, and more. I have a lot of experience.

If I have time, I will sit down with a some and come up with detailed criticism. I was just wondering if any one else had similar experiences. If so: good. If not: good.

I do not really care one way or another. I have purchased all the LPs I (reasonable) want.

The only guitar I wanted lately was an old (original Japanese) Ibanez Pat Metheny. The note separation was beautiful and yet still warm. But it seemed like too much of a one trick pony. (I also did want a White Falcon, but that turned out to be a passing phase). (... and also an old Benson was really nice, but it was not for sale).

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is an opinion... even worse a feeling... I was just wondering if anyone else has had that feeling. I can put in the time and see if my feeling is based in something but if it was, who cares. My days of sustained gear analysis is over. I am busy doing other things.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You played the wrong ones. Or they were wrong for you. Who knows.

Any generalization is dumb.
+1
My '19 Original 60s is one of the nicest players I've ever played, which includes buddy's LPs from the Norlin era, and I own a couple of G&Ls and Fenders.

Warrior671

Reaction score
I’ve got a 19 SG Standard that plays and sounds great. I was really pleased with Gibson’a simplification of their line, and I prefer this guitar to the 2013 LP Traditional I had a few years ago. It’s probably mostly a personal preference thing.

Sinster

Reaction score
As we mature :) our taste change. When I started off playing all my guitar had to be Jackson or Charvels. Then one day I played a Gibson back in 2007 and that all changed. Now I still prefer my Les Pauls, but Tele's have been calling my name as of late.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Not a big deal, you're not an LP guy anymore and there is nothing wrong with that. People sometimes go back and forth between Strat, Tele, LP and such. We have had some people that were Strat players there whole life come here and state they are now an LP guy. They play or get one great LP and then there converted.

I was an Ibanez guy for a while, loved the wizard neck, then I switched to a super strat guy playing Charvel's and Kramer's. Then I got my first LP Studio Faded, which was just ok with the baseball neck to my hands. It turns out I just don't like the big necks, and found a few nice LP's with Slim Taper necks and only liked Slim Taper necks for a while.

We are all gear heads and sometimes like to try something new or different. Then we like it and change gears (pun intended) for a while.

I started a long time ago with an nice LP copy when I was 15 years old, then I played a Gibson L6S 24 fret for a long time. I joined the navy, got out and life got busy where I did not own or play a guitar for like 10 years. I am back to an LP now after messing around with quite a few guitars. It took me quite a few LP's until I have the 2 perfect LP's for me right now.

Good Luck, and just play what feels best for you, it's not a crime to not like LP's.

I think my 2 2017 LP's are the best I have ever played, just love them.

moreles

Reaction score
No, the new ones are not rough. I'm sure there's a messup here and there, but they are much improved, more consistent, and objectively fine.

Latest Threads