Here is my refinshed 2016 Les Paul after 30 days of UV exposure.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I'm old school, Ibelieve in letting age naturally if I were into aging I would say this is the way to do it no sand paper trails no finish smears with solvents etc. this is the most natural i've seen .now I'm not one to buy a 80000.00cadillac and take a sledge hammer to , step back and say ''aint that purdy'' .
zdog

Nintari

Reaction score
Looks great!

Also, you should probably contact Guinness and tell them you are the owner of the first Les Paul that has managed to travel back in time.

:cool2:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
-What is BOTB?
- When I am at where I finally want to be on the fade. I am going to remove all the hardware take a few pics and post it on this thread for everyone to see.
- I also have a few UVA bulbs I should try using to see what it does.
botb. its the beauty of the burst book. well worth getting hold of a copy if only borrowed for a read through. learnt quite a few things and quashed a fewn 'lore' myths i had heard.

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rapid fade of the red is fascinating, but that dark fretboard is what grabbed my attention! Well done!

Sinky10

Reaction score
I really like the results, probably because I'm more of a lemon / orangey finish guy (not red/cherry).

-Jay
Same here. I prefer the more subtle colour that you have achieved. Each to their own.

Are you going to freeze it next to crack the nitro?

lead

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing this with mine, but was afraid beaming it with all that uv at once my affect the fret board like drying it out and cracking it or any other damage to the actual wood. Did you have to keep conditioning it as you were uv ing it so it didn't dry out on you?

Lester

Reaction score
Nicely done.

- and at last a fix for those untenable clown bursts! (doning nomex body suit).

jbyrd78

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing this with mine, but was afraid beaming it with all that uv at once my affect the fret board like drying it out and cracking it or any other damage to the actual wood. Did you have to keep conditioning it as you were uv ing it so it didn't dry out on you?
Nope! I take to pieces of heavy construction paper, fold them in half, and slide them under the strings to cover the fingerboard.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Same here. I prefer the more subtle colour that you have achieved. Each to their own.

Are you going to freeze it next to crack the nitro?
I thought about doing that. I'm also considering stripping the rest of the guitar and refinishing it with true old school red dye and lacquer. Even with all that UV exposure, the red on the back and sides didn't even fade.

HJR

Reaction score
I thought about doing that. I'm also considering stripping the rest of the guitar and refinishing it with true old school red dye and lacquer. Even with all that UV exposure, the red on the back and sides didn't even fade.
That looks fantastic! I love it! Quick question, did you notice a difference in how the tanning bed affected it vs the sun? Was it faster? Basically the same?

Injector

Reaction score
Phew, you got rid of the clownburst!
Now you have a nice looking guitar.:applause:

TrackerDan

Reaction score
To have a nicely aged sunburst like that in mint condition would be great. At least in my humble opinion.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely got lucky with the fingerboard on this Lester. I wish the fingerboard on my ES-335 was as dark and uniform like this.

Latest Threads