Here is my refinshed 2016 Les Paul after 30 days of UV exposure.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having just bought and read cover to cover botb, I learnt something about paint fading, it shows where the lacquer overlaps when sprayed, which yours does, so a more authentic result than simply buying one in orange lemonade fade burst or something. Nice, I was thinking after reading botb of putting a card over the pickup selector to get authentic red eye. Mines two weeks in I think and looks to have started. I didn’t take a forensic before shot though, which is not like me. I am not using a salon bed but a 5w uva uvb led, it’s approximating bright sunlight, so may be a while. :)

VancoD

Reaction score
I liked it on the 14th of January. Your "finished product" is a bit far for me. But hey - if you like it who cares.

This goes a long way in illustrating the harshness of the original burst tho.

mafmmx

Reaction score
Think makes me wanna open up a 1 month membership to LA Tan for me LP. I wonder if they would look at me funny tanning my guitar?

Hellfire

Reaction score
Really cool ,I am in the same process right now.
After some trials and errors to spray the Leslie I build to be a honeyburst ,I finally decide to make a cherry burst and let it fade on sun.
Thanks for posting ,I feel more confident now.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Love the final lemon color.

perhaps I missed it but what did you use for clear coat?
WATCO lacquer, it's been my go to for about 15yrs b/c it checks and yellows. I thinned the lacquer 1:1 for the clear coats, and 4:1 for the color coats.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Having just bought and read cover to cover botb, I learnt something about paint fading, it shows where the lacquer overlaps when sprayed, which yours does, so a more authentic result than simply buying one in orange lemonade fade burst or something. Nice, I was thinking after reading botb of putting a card over the pickup selector to get authentic red eye. Mines two weeks in I think and looks to have started. I didn’t take a forensic before shot though, which is not like me. I am not using a salon bed but a 5w uva uvb led, it’s approximating bright sunlight, so may be a while. :)
-What is BOTB?
- When I am at where I finally want to be on the fade. I am going to remove all the hardware take a few pics and post it on this thread for everyone to see.
- I also have a few UVA bulbs I should try using to see what it does.

Latest Threads