Here is my refinshed 2016 Les Paul after 30 days of UV exposure.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Last month, I started a thread about refinishing my Les Paul with the intent of purposely exposing it to UV light to eventually obtain a "Lemon burst" finish. Well, it's been 1 month since I started the exposure and here are the results in chronological order. She has spent 50hrs in a tanning bed, 20hrs outside in the sun, and I don't even know how many hrs hanging by an opening window. I would love to hear your guy's feed back.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbyrd78

Reaction score
I mean, that's basically a lemon now.
Still got a ways to go, but it's moving along faster than I thought it would. Looking at the pictures now, it's pretty cool how it went from a "clown burst", to a "ice tea burst" then started fading out.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
At first i thought you were crazy messing about with the finish/fading.... But honestly you did awesome job with that refinish and fade, You should be proud of the results because it looks stellar.
Well thank you, I appreciate the compliment. It's weird, the pictures make the burst look darker, than it actually looks in person. From 5 feet away you can barely see the band that wraps around the body.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention, that blue/brown shader band I sprayed before the red band, is completely gone now??? I find that interesting because I used trans-tint dyes for that because I didn't want it to fade.

moreles

Reaction score
Why not spray the result you want with non-fading colors to begin with? But what you did is really interesting (though a gamble) and, honestly, I'm really surprised that modern pigments faded that much. Did you select the colors knowing in advance that they were unstable like the old ones? What a dice roll! Glad it worked out, because it looks way better now than when it was first sprayed! 50 hours in a tanning bed...!!!

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Why not spray the result you want with non-fading colors to begin with? But what you did is really interesting (though a gamble) and, honestly, I'm really surprised that modern pigments faded that much. Did you select the colors knowing in advance that they were unstable like the old ones? What a dice roll! Glad it worked out, because it looks way better now than when it was first sprayed! 50 hours in a tanning bed...!!!
I didn't originally spray it the color I wanted b/c I wanted the non faded areas underneath everything. The red dye I used is an aniline dye from Luthiers Mercantile. Aniline dyes are known for fading when exposed to light. I use red aniline dye when I spray sunburst's so everything will be as close to "period correct."

Honestly it wasn't a gamble b/c I have been finishing guitars for almost 20 yrs. I was more worried removing the original finish b/c I didn't know what to expect with it. Once I had the top stripped, it was smooth sailing.

Latest Threads