Here is my refinished Les Paul after 4 months of UV exposure.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
wow fantastic..my r9 has faded sits in a north facing chair everyday and gets reflected light....used to be washed cherry. looks tea now...q what did you use to refinish as far as laquer etc???
[/Q LEMONY! love it.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
While it's interesting that the experiment "worked" I still can't understand the appeal of artificially aging something.
I did it because 1. I wanted a traditional lemon burst, and 2. I really wanted to see if new age anline dyes fade like the older ones

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Looks sweet. Details? How long per day/how many days?
Oh man, I honestly lost count after the first month. It didn't take alot to fade the bright red, but it took alot longer once the red mellowed out for some reason. I think the most sessions I did in a day at a tanning bed were about 6hrs worth. If it was sunny out, the guitat spent all day outside. Occasionally I would have to go outside and rotate her, or lay her down on a towel.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but did it affect the finish or wood or anything else other than fading?
No it's not a dumb question all. The only affect exposing the guitar to UV did was it mellowed out the brightness of the lemon yellow toner I used. The factory finish that I stripped off was pretty thick, their was also a thick vinyl sealer on her as well. All of that had UV inhibitors in it. The lacquer I use, checks, cracks and shrinks with age.

Last edited:

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Interesting how folks think that UV light is what faded those original bursts. UV light doesn't penetrate through windows. So unless all those burst owners left their guitars outside all day, it was something else that faded them.
UV rays play a part in the aging, and so does indirect light, and how old the finish in general is. Perfect example, I sprayed a 3 tone sunburst finish on a strat guitar 3 yrs ago, and I used the same red anline dye on that guitar, that I used to finish this LP. Now that strat had never been outside and was only exposed to indirect light in the house, and if you took the pickguard and input jack off, you could see the dark red that was originally sprayed 3 yrs ago. Well curiosity got the best of me, and at the beginning of April I stuck the strat outside with the LP for the entire day. At first the red band only looked lighter than it did when I put it outside, but within 2 days, looking at the guitar in person, the entire red band is gone. Now if I take a picture, somehow the red band still shows up. So I guess what I'm getting at, is since the finish on the strat was more cured than the finish on the LP, the red dye was alot weaker, which caused it to fade faster. Think about how back in the day, all the outside shows that were played(an hour here, 15 mins here day after day etc etc...) the color fade would not have happened as fast as I rushed mine. In all honesty it probably went unnoticeable until something on the guitar was removed by the owner. Something else that plays into affect with guitar finishes aging is the air quality.

Last edited:

jbyrd78

Reaction score
looks awesome! I remember the refinish

jbyrd78, how is the guitar playability-wise? Not sure you remember how it was before, but just curious if anything changed.
I actually do remember how it was playability wise. Currently she needs new strings, and a setup along with a new nut, b/c the nut aged with the exposure. Other then that, when I play the guitar unplugged, it sounds more vibrant or resonant since I've stripped the factory finish and vinyl sealer off. What really improved the tone on the guitar was the two gold top hat vol, & tone knobs I put on, as well as the Gibson Historic M-69 pickup rings I installed...we all know the tone is in swapping out plastic parts‍♂

jbyrd78

Reaction score
some fade to a dark bourbon/teaburst, some lose all pigment.
I'm actually glad that you mentioned this, b/c I originally sprayed a blue/brown shader band before I sprayed the red. That blue/brown brand was supposed to be UV resistant...it had completely fade out before the red band faded.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
This is like those weight loss before/after photos- except the opposite. Before: taken indoors, colors are vibrant, rich. After: taken outdoors- photo is over exposed, washout, etc...,

like comparing tomatoes and lemons...

I really don’t know what I am looking at.
What you are looking at is my LP guitar I faded. I shared the picture of the guitar inside so you all could see how it looks when indirect light hits it. The other pictures of the guitar outside, are so you all could see what it looks like in direct sunlight.
Funny thing is, if you see the guitar in person, it looks more amberish.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
I am curious: did the massive uv exposure affect the guitar tone ?
No, the UV didn't affect the tone. Replacing the two bottom vol & tone knobs, along with installing Gibson Historic M-69 pickup rings enhanced the tone tremendously

filtersweep

Reaction score
What you are looking at is my LP guitar I faded. I shared the picture of the guitar inside so you all could see how it looks when indirect light hits it. The other pictures of the guitar outside, are so you all could see what it looks like in direct sunlight.
Funny thing is, if you see the guitar in person, it looks more amberish.
So they are both ‘after’ photos?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
*Mod Note*

Several posts were deleted.

Knock off the politics, quit with the covid talk.

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads