Here is my refinished Les Paul after 4 months of UV exposure.

gball

Reaction score
While it's interesting that the experiment "worked" I still can't understand the appeal of artificially aging something.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Alright, alright. The project is over! As some of you know from previous threads I posted. I stripped the front of my 2016 Les Paul Traditional back on Xmas of last year. I ended up refinishing it, only so I could fade it with UV to obtain a true "lemon burst." Well 4 months later, and numerous tanning sessions and natural sunlight exposure that I lost track of time wise, here is the end project. The first pic was taken 2 weeks ago, and all the other pics were taken this last Sunday. Sorry I woulda posted earlier, but the R9 topic on TPG has been the happening thread...so yeah I was busy reading. The moral of this whole project, yes anline dyes still fade when exposed to UV

If you like these pics, please post a pic of a lady in a bikini as your like. Thank you gentlemen, and have a great day.
Maybe a dumb question but did it affect the finish or wood or anything else other than fading?

Brian N

Reaction score
Interesting how folks think that UV light is what faded those original bursts. UV light doesn't penetrate through windows. So unless all those burst owners left their guitars outside all day, it was something else that faded them.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
looks awesome! I remember the refinish

jbyrd78, how is the guitar playability-wise? Not sure you remember how it was before, but just curious if anything changed.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting how folks think that UV light is what faded those original bursts. UV light doesn't penetrate through windows. So unless all those burst owners left their guitars outside all day, it was something else that faded them.
It’s true that uvb is pretty much blocked by glass, but those pesky uva rays still get through, although reduced in intensity. I would from that, draw the conclusion that speed aging is not going to result in the subtlety uneven fade of decades of use. I am facisnated by the various mixes that were used, some fade to a dark bourbon/teaburst, some lose all pigment.

filtersweep

Reaction score
This is like those weight loss before/after photos- except the opposite. Before: taken indoors, colors are vibrant, rich. After: taken outdoors- photo is over exposed, washout, etc...,

like comparing tomatoes and lemons...

I really don’t know what I am looking at.

Nikki M

Reaction score
Alright, alright. The project is over! As some of you know from previous threads I posted. I stripped the front of my 2016 Les Paul Traditional back on Xmas of last year. I ended up refinishing it, only so I could fade it with UV to obtain a true "lemon burst." Well 4 months later, and numerous tanning sessions and natural sunlight exposure that I lost track of time wise, here is the end project. The first pic was taken 2 weeks ago, and all the other pics were taken this last Sunday. Sorry I woulda posted earlier, but the R9 topic on TPG has been the happening thread...so yeah I was busy reading. The moral of this whole project, yes anline dyes still fade when exposed to UV

If you like these pics, please post a pic of a lady in a bikini as your like. Thank you gentlemen, and have a great day.

Attachments

chocopopz

Reaction score
Remember the Stranglers "it's always the sun" ?. Beautiful citrus color. I am now thinking about exposing my `57 VOS Reissue Gold Top body (certainly not the neck !!). I am curious: did the massive uv exposure affect the guitar tone ?

Lester

Reaction score
This is like those weight loss before/after photos- except the opposite. Before: taken indoors, colors are vibrant, rich. After: taken outdoors- photo is over exposed, washout, etc...,

like comparing tomatoes and lemons...

I really don’t know what I am looking at.
Guitars. You're looking at guitars.

Latest Threads