Here is my refinished Les Paul after 4 months of UV exposure.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Alright, alright. The project is over! As some of you know from previous threads I posted. I stripped the front of my 2016 Les Paul Traditional back on Xmas of last year. I ended up refinishing it, only so I could fade it with UV to obtain a true "lemon burst." Well 4 months later, and numerous tanning sessions and natural sunlight exposure that I lost track of time wise, here is the end project. The first pic was taken 2 weeks ago, and all the other pics were taken this last Sunday. Sorry I woulda posted earlier, but the R9 topic on TPG has been the happening thread...so yeah I was busy reading. The moral of this whole project, yes anline dyes still fade when exposed to UV

If you like these pics, please post a pic of a lady in a bikini as your like. Thank you gentlemen, and have a great day.

Attachments

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Do you have a before UV aging pic (after the refinish) to compare with.

BTW, Great amp. (Does your purple led work? Lol)

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Nice. Do you have a before UV aging pic (after the refinish) to compare with.

BTW, Great amp. (Does your purple led work? Lol)
Here she is righr after I put her back together before I started exposing her to UV light.

As for the Marshall, thank you, but no the LED doesn't work unfortunately.

Attachments

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a BIG change in color

& I’m about to install my second one.
I ordered 2 to have a spare.
76217120-0CB9-4C78-8C44-A9691C05DD9D.jpeg

monty john

Reaction score
wow fantastic..my r9 has faded sits in a north facing chair everyday and gets reflected light....used to be washed cherry. looks tea now...q what did you use to refinish as far as laquer etc???

Attachments

jbyrd78

Reaction score
wow fantastic..my r9 has faded sits in a north facing chair everyday and gets reflected light....used to be washed cherry. looks tea now...q what did you use to refinish as far as laquer etc???
WATCO or Minwax lacquer have been my gold standards for the past 15 years. It's cheap, it shrinks, checks, and yellows over time. You just have to thin it 1 to 1 when you spray. Sometimes, I use Minwax spray cans, but stay away from WATCO spray cans. It never dries properly.

I don't like to use the big names like Behlen, Mowhawk, etc...to many inhibitors.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
How did you do it?
Just put it outside in the sunlight? With or without hardware on? Cover the fretboard?
I stuck it in a tanning bed and outside with all the hardware on it. The only thing I covered was the fingerboard.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
That's really, really yellow. I guess that pigment isn't changing at all. Too bright and unvarying for me, personally.
It's funny how the camera picks up the colors b/c it actually looks more amber in person.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
What happened to the burst? Now it’s just lemon colored.

Latest Threads