Here’s an idea: Let’s Get Rid of Safety Inspections

Bytor1958

Reaction score
We have state inspections in Texas, we still have millions of rolling shitheaps on the road. The inspectors, at their most diligent, only test a few things...does it stop, does it turn,lights, signals, windshield wipers, horn and windshield. They don't check ball joints, steering components, chassis, etc. At their worst, they barely check anything.

I think it's a rip off and I'd be glad to see the inspections go away.
I'm in Texas and we have to pass emissions testing. I know cities don't be we do.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Blimey! the annual MOT test got stricter here with the new emission rules, over 7 million cars fail their annual MOT test . You cant get a bogus certificate these days as your car is linked to the main DVLA computer in real time as soon as the test starts..

How much does your annual safety check cost stateside? My local MOT garage charges £44 / $57.
The last time I lived in a state that used to require annual safety inspections, which was Oklahoma that has since abolished them. The state contracted with private shops to do them. The cost was $5. The inspections were rather cursory. They checked all the lights, horn, and brakes at a rather low speed. In other words, they were a joke. As the state lacked the funds to do REAL inspections, they were abolished. Now, here on the Western Slope of Colorado, there aren't any required safety inspections. However emission inspections are required in the eastern part of the state where the big cities are located.

lancpudn

Reaction score
The last time I lived in a state that used to require annual safety inspections, which was Oklahoma that has since abolished them. The state contracted with private shops to do them. The cost was $5. The inspections were rather cursory. They checked all the lights, horn, and brakes at a rather low speed. In other words, they were a joke. As the state lacked the funds to do REAL inspections, they were abolished. Now, here on the Western Slope of Colorado, there aren't any required safety inspections. However emission inspections are required in the eastern part of the state where the big cities are located.
Ah! thanks for that, Bigger vehicles like panel vans are £54 / $70.36 & motorbikes are £29.95 / $39 for their annual MOT test which takes 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Leumas

Reaction score
Here in Utah they got rid of inspections a year or two ago. It was really nice for me driving a diesel vehicle because my county also did not require emissions inspections for diesel vehicles. Unfortunately we just started requiring emissions inspections this year so now I can't just do everything online. I guess we were the only state near us that still required safety inspections so we finally decided to follow the others and get rid of it.
The emissions inspections make me nuts. Here in PA it's 40 for the car, and 80 for the emissions. Our cars don't last long enough to become true belchers due to road salt, and the ones that do I'm guessing the owner doesn't have enough dough to fix the problem to begin with. Insult to injury, my mom lives 7 miles north in a different county and she doesn't need to get the emissions.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, I live in Nebraska and honestly had no idea this was such a thing. A requirement for a vehicle inspection seems totally absurd to me. I had heard of emissions inspections, but didn't know how much more elaborate some states are.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
We had them here in Michigan for a couple of years back in the 1980s. Sanity prevailed and they were done away with. Of course the welfare reciprocants were exempt, only we stupid working stiffs had to have them done.

ETA: And no mechanics nor any of their family members were thrown out of their houses to starve and die in the streets.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
We should have mandatory annual house safety inspections too.

And mandatory annual walking, running and bike safety inspections.

Also mandatory annual medical checkups.

And mandatory annual psychological reviews.

And mandatory annual lawnmower operation inspections.

And mandatory annual food cutting and knife safety inspections.

And mandatory annual food stock safety inspections.

Just think of all the lives that could be saved and amazing government jobs that could be created with just these few simple laws!! The more the government can tell me how to live my life, the better!
How about a "Lunchbox" inspection?

Them things gotta be kept clean and germ free!

PeteK

Reaction score
Seems to be an East Coast thing. I've lived in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Washington. California had emissions inspections but even that I think was just when you first registered a vehicle. Everywhere else I don't remember ever having my vehicle inspected.

So I Googled it. There's only 18 states that require safety inspections. Mostly in the East and Midwest and Texas. So the safety argument is pretty much bullshit considering most states don't require the inspection and yet people seem to do just fine. It just sounds like another way for the gubmint to squeeze more blood out of the turnips. A bunch of congressmen probably got a zillion dollars in "lobbying" money and made that shit mandatory. Fuck that and fuck them.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
I'll bet those inspection stations have lost a small fortune since the advent of LEDs. Now that they don't burn out, the stations can't charge 10x the price of a bulb to change it.

Typical service station 1990:

Inspector: You got a tail light bulb burns out. We can replace it for $10
Me: I can replace it for 89 cents
Inspector: Well, you'll fail inspection, and have to bring it back for another inspection
Me: What a fucking scam
Inspector: Well, you coulda checked 'em before you came
Me: Fuck you, hillbilly

Now:

"Looks like you pass"

1579287375374.png

DotStudio

Reaction score
We had them here in Michigan for a couple of years back in the 1980s. Sanity prevailed and they were done away with. Of course the welfare reciprocants were exempt, only we stupid working stiffs had to have them done.

ETA: And no mechanics nor any of their family members were thrown out of their houses to starve and die in the streets.
When I moved to MI from PA I was stoked to find out that there were no inspections, until i realized that yearly registration is double the price here. The state still wins.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
might do better to spend the money on driver courtesy education.too many asshats around here shouldnt be on the road due to stupidity issues.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I moved to MI from PA I was stoked to find out that there were no inspections, until i realized that yearly registration is double the price here. The state still wins.
That, unfortunately is true, not to mention we have the highest or nearly the highest insurance rates in the nation.

Reactions: Who

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Inspection in TX is less than 20 bucks, and registration is like $60. I'm not going to complain.

Reactions: Who