Hercules Professional 12" Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw vs. Dewalt DWS780

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't have my safety cover on my table saw either, but a few months ago my neighbor nearly cut his had off using his saw. Seeing that did give me pause.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Everything in my garage has sawdust on it.
It’s quite thick in some places.
I really need to clean.
I need some clean up myself. My driveway is my work area. I don't have room in my garage. For most days I put up my 10x10 shade canopy. Pull everything out in the driveway.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
On another note: Planers.

DeWalt and all the brands make thickness planers around 12-13".

I've used Dewalt, Craftsman, Porter Cable..... For the money, Delta makes the best planer for shaving boards down. It can take off more than the others and still feed the board. The two blade or three work just as well. Did a bunch of custom work for a guy and had to plane many different boards for months and I bought a DeWalt ($500 not sure what model) It was junk. Took it back. The other brands I've used worked well, but took way more passes to get the wood off. Delta, by far worked the best. I had a $300 two blade that I still use to shave down stuff fast and a 3 blade Delta ($400) that is nicer to finish on. I don't work that one too hard. Blades are cheap and easy to get and change. GREAT products.

Ed B

Reaction score
I've considered planers many times. Right now it isn't needed. My local sawmill includes planing and jointing in their prices. For a small charge he even allows me to bring wood from elsewhere. I don't do enough woodworking to feel the need to own one. Yet. :naughty:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I’m gonna take my father in law’s planer. I don’t know quite how big it is. It’s old, but he says it works really good.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
On another note: Planers.

DeWalt and all the brands make thickness planers around 12-13".

I've used Dewalt, Craftsman, Porter Cable..... For the money, Delta makes the best planer for shaving boards down. It can take off more than the others and still feed the board. The two blade or three work just as well. Did a bunch of custom work for a guy and had to plane many different boards for months and I bought a DeWalt ($500 not sure what model) It was junk. Took it back. The other brands I've used worked well, but took way more passes to get the wood off. Delta, by far worked the best. I had a $300 two blade that I still use to shave down stuff fast and a 3 blade Delta ($400) that is nicer to finish on. I don't work that one too hard. Blades are cheap and easy to get and change. GREAT products.
I had a DeWalt thickness planer. A older one and it worked real well. Another tool I sold I wish I had back.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I had a DeWalt thickness planer. A older one and it worked real well. Another tool I sold I wish I had back.
I got this one from Harbor Freight for Christmas.

Seems to work well from a few test runs.
20190106_124005.jpg

20190106_124253.jpg

I have mostly Dewalt tools for carpentry and home improvements, but I'm just getting my feet wet in actual woodworking. If I stick with it, maybe I'll upgrade.

Bytor1958

Reaction score

View attachment 359455
View attachment 359456
I have mostly Dewalt tools for carpentry and home improvements, but I'm just getting my feet wet in actual woodworking. If I stick with it, maybe I'll upgrade.
I think Bauer is another one of their professional lines. If it does the job why upgrade. Does it work they way you expect it to?

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I got a smoking deal on a Delta 12" planer, Porter Cable 6" jointer, and Delta scroll saw all for $100 from a guy I work with who was cleaning out his garage. I haven't used the scroll saw, but the planer and jointer are both great.
I have a Freud biscuit jointer. The yr I got it 4 other guys I worked with all got the same one for Christmas. We were all laughing over that. 5 of us got the same one.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I think Bauer is another one of their professional lines. If it does the job why upgrade. Does it work they way you expect it to?
I've barely used it. The temp in Michigan dropped immediately after purchase. I'll see how it treats me after the weather breaks.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score

View attachment 359455
View attachment 359456
I know NOTHING about the Bauer brand except they have made amazing hockey equipment for decades. Wonder if it's the same company. I just post what I know from experience. I was a tool junkie when I did remodeling and construction. I blew up a lot of shit and some I still have. Those are the only ones I trust. I have NOT tried Bauer or a couple other brands yet. I'd like to, though. :)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
My table saw has a riving knife. It's supposed to help stop kick back.
The riving knife on mine was attached to the safety cover so, it's gone, too.

In my experience, it took a while to build the proper skills and practices. One of the major causes of kickback is taking pressure off of the piece, while passing it over the blade. I also use a thin piece of wood (it is actually 3/4" MDF) on the fence on the infeed side up to about the midpoint of the blade. That way, the fence is not pressing on the board after the midpoint of the blade (outfeed) and that really seems to cut down on kickback.

I have a pile of old hockey stick shafts (back from the wooden stick days) that provide and endless supply of "push sticks."

Last edited:

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
The one a bought wouldn't feed a 1X6 when I cranked it past "I don't have all day". The Delta just did what I needed. I coulda had bad unit, but I didn't have time to mess with shit. I needed boards done. You got a good one I guess. I still choose DeWalt over all other professional tools, but I swear by my choice in planers. DeWalts sure have pretty mouths. :)

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Harbor Freight is coming out with a lot of new tools for professionals. It's going to get interesting. I have seen some review/comparison vids that show these new lines taking on the big boys. They are standing up too and beating them.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
t
Harbor Freight is coming out with a lot of new tools for professionals. It's going to get interesting. I have seen some review/comparison vids that show these new lines taking on the big boys. They are standing up too and beating them.
Everything is made overseas anymore. I'm willing to give them a try. Only use and time will tell.

A few years ago I got into an argument with a Hitachi manager. I bought a light use chain saw at a great price. It worked great until a went to adjust the chain tensioner. It dissolved into dust. I told them through an e-mail that they're product sucked ass and they got back to me quickly.

He said no matter what, they wanted to make me happy. Hookers and blow were not in the offer, but I told them I thought their stuff was made in Japan and not China. He said they manage and control every piece that came out of the plant in China. I said "Why did my adjusting screw dissolve then?". I told him I was done with Hitachi even though they made awesome stuff in the past with VCRs and other electronics. China made crap is crap. Well, now we don't have a choice. Time to pick the best you can get from pack and deal with it I guess. Hitachi call in service was excellent, though. I can't fault them for not backing their products. I just won't give stuff a second chance. :)

Hercules may make good stuff....dunno yet. :)

Latest Threads