Hercules Professional 12" Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw vs. Dewalt DWS780

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new 12" Sliding Compound Miter saw.

I saw this comparison and now Harbor Freight has a 20% coupon for any one item. That would put the saw around $280 from $349. The DeWalt is $499. I have had a DeWalt yrs ago and I liked it. The comparison on these saw is so close. I'm really leaning towards the Hercules.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me that harbor freight power tools do not have a very good reputation. I’m sure I heard that somewhere, maybe I’m wrong.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
It seems to me that harbor freight power tools do not have a very good reputation. I’m sure I heard that somewhere, maybe I’m wrong.
I've heard good and bad about HF tools. This is their new professional line of tools.

Bohacker

Reaction score
Look at Ridgid, lifetime warranty and a decent saw.

Ed B

Reaction score
I have the 780. It's fantastic right out of the gate. Barely, if any, tweaking needed. If you aren't in a rush, wait for a killer deal. With a sale and a well timed coupon this wouldn't be a decision. I got mine for around $375 from Lowes. And it came with a stand.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I have the 780. It's fantastic right out of the gate. Barely, if any, tweaking needed. If you aren't in a rush, wait for a killer deal. With a sale and a well timed coupon this wouldn't be a decision. I got mine for around $375 from Lowes. And it came with a stand.
I had a Dewalt yrs ago and the stand. I only got rid of it because I moved and had it in storage. I was paying more for storage than I had paid for the stuff I was storing. Now I'm wanting to get a good saw again. I have the HF 12" sliding compound miter. Cheap as hell but it did what I needed at the time. It's time to upgrade. I've been watching Home Depot for the sale with the stand.

Dave_W

Reaction score
I'd go with the Dewalt, no question. I'd go with any of the major brands before I'd buy a power tool from Hazard Fraught unless it was for a one-off project that I'd plan to junk afterwards.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd trust my limbs to a fast spinning full-size saw blade on a Harbor Freight machine.
I could not have said it better.... HF is largely hobby-grade, junk.

Dewalt FTW, every time. Borrowing an old gun expression, "Buy once; cry once." You get what you pay for!

DotStudio

Reaction score
Harbor freight is great for oddball and infrequent use tools. Also, their large tool cabinets are fantastic quality considering the price.

If you're getting a miter saw for projects here and there, go for it. But if you're going to beat the hell out of it, go Dewalt.

I just got their bench top thickness planer for Christmas. Nice enough for my purposes, but I'm only going to use it from time to time.

DotStudio

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Hitachi? That was what I went with and I love mine.
That's what I have. It's been through 3 whole-house renovations and tons of side projects. Good stuff.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the DeWalt and it works great, but my old boss has the Bosch and I liked it better than my Dewalt. Every power tool battery/electric I own is DeWalt.

The Bosch was just nicer to use. Easier to slide, adjust and just make quick repetitive cuts. The stands are really nice too.

Roxy13

Reaction score
That's what I have. It's been through 3 whole-house renovations and tons of side projects. Good stuff.
It really is a great saw. And he probably get one for in between the price of the DeWalt and HF. I, too, would not buy a power tool from HF unless it was a cheap throw away thing.

I do have some DeWalt tools as well and they make great tools, no question about it. Before I buy anything I just do a lot of research and comparisons instead of brand shop though. But, I do narrow it down to name brands with good reputations.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I'm going to keep an eye on the DeWalt saw when then have the stand free with it.