Hercules Guitar stand owners - you might want to look at this

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, it took a while but I finally got a replacement stand from Hercules after being passed around to three or four different people:shock:. I had two that failed but they only sent me one. I guess it is because I could not find the receipt for one of the stands, although one of the reps I contacted said it would not matter. At least they appear to be a company that really cares about their product and their reputation. They really should put more information on their website about how to contact them. Thank you Mr. Robbins for pointing me to their Facebook page. I'm not a big Facebook user so I probably would not have found them otherwise.
Right on. :dude::dude:

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's not just a problem for the OP . Here's the VERY SAME issue, very rently ,with 1 of the 2 I have ,here .Something is very wrong with these . I think it's a fine stand , So Here's my fix for it . 10minutes and $2.00
This happened a few weeks ago .

I'm not wasting weeks and never buying these again .Good stand, But it has a nasty problem. $12.00 Guitar stand +a $5.00 guitar stand bra ,a little work and it's good to go.

Sorry the pics won't post correctly . Thanks PB :thumb:

Got the time and went and got these

Use a Punch to start a hole to drill
Make sure you have the height in a correct location
And screw in the screw and your done . Use 2 screws for an EXTRA strong join .

Citrus Monolith

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my Hercules stand. I think it was on sale for 25 or so when I got it. I would prefer if it utilized less plastic parts though for sure. I do feel like I can pick up and put my guitar away much quicker than with any other stand.

imjunho

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my hercules stand. That plastic height adjustment piece just crumbled (may have been from moving but who knows, I bought it a few years back and just dusted it off). I found a stubby screw driver and grinded it down and I use that to secure the height. The locking neck support still works. Now it's being used for my beater guitar..

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to secure the necks so the inevitable doesn't happen?
If you don't want to "lock" the Height" adjustment as I did above , NOT buying 1 is the only "sure" way not to possibly have this problem , with this Mfg'er stand .
It seems to be hit and miss, as to which 1 gets this problem . I have another
1, bought at the same time ,same store, that sits right next to the 1 pictured above . That 1, has no problem what so ever ....

It does seem that these stands (the handles for height adjustment) , do , decay over time . The handle gets sticky/tacky ,starts looking shinny . IMO, that's THE clue /warning , a problem is brewing ahead .... I noticed that mine did this for many months /year before it failed . Lucky nothing happened to the guitar .

IMO , these stands cost to much for this to happen . Never again .
Here's another example of why KISS(Keep it simple stupid) is and always will be BEST ....:cool:

lespauldawg

Reaction score
Is there a way to secure the necks so the inevitable doesn't happen?
The guitars are tightly secure in each designated slot, no need to worry about falling.
Good old gravity helps :)

love putting the light on at night....solid oak so very sturdy!!!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kind of a necropost but for those of you still using the older Hercules stands, you should be inspecting them for the "sticky handle" issue on a semi-regular basis. I had one of the original Hercules Duo stands purchased in 2009 in my studio. I noticed the height adjustment handle had become inexplicably "sticky" a while back and after some Google searching I discovered the issue discussed in this thread. The stickiness became more pronounced and just this past week the height adjustment handle just popped out of the plastic housing, exposing the spring and disengaging it from the stand. Luckily there weren't any guitars in the stand at the time. This stand was never exposed to weather, smoke, UV rays/outdoors or moisture and just sat in a climate-controlled studio for its entire 11-year life. In contrast, I bought the single Hercules stand w/folding yoke at the exact same time as the double, and that one has traveled thousands of miles to hundreds of gigs, been in the rain, been in the cold, been in the sun for extended periods of time, been in the salt air--and I've never had a problem with that one and it still looks and functions like new.

I know that Hercules changed the formula for their plastic/rubber parts a while back as a result of this issue, and so I promptly ordered a replacement Hercules GS422B Plus stand to replace the defective one. I still think Hercules makes the best stands out there, and they are certainly the safest for nitro-finish guitars. I trust them with my Les Pauls.

So really, this post is mostly to remind you that if you have a Hercules stand from say, pre-2015, you should check it on a regular basis and replace it at the first sign of the adjustment handle becoming sticky to the touch.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I’ve owned my Hercules since 2009 and it isn’t sticky, hasn’t failed and hasn’t harmed the finish on any guitar I own.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be clear, since the OP's images are gone, we're talking about this stand, right?
Yes, pre-2015. They reformulated the plastics and rubber sometime around then so if you bought one today, unless it was really old stock, you shouldn't have an issue.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned my Hercules since 2009 and it isn’t sticky, hasn’t failed and hasn’t harmed the finish on any guitar I own.
Same with my single stands. They've been flawless. The only one I saw this degradation on was the double stand, and only on the height-adjustment yoke. The neck arms for holding the guitars were fine.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, pre-2015. They reformulated the plastics and rubber sometime around then so if you bought one today, unless it was really old stock, you shouldn't have an issue.
Key word being "shouldn't"
I'm sure in 2009, this was not anticipated either.

Is (or was) there any difference in the feel or texture of the adjuster compared to the other plastic parts forming the hanger hook mechanism when they were new? I don't have the stand, but I do have a couple of the wall hangers from a few years ago that I have not used.
Wondering if it's just a matter of time before the top part fails as well.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
The "adjuster" on my Hercules stand is made of the same plastic as the hanger. About 2012 I purchased maybe eight Hercules wall hangers and suspended all of my guitars about studio. The guitars remained on those hangers until my wife and I moved to a smaller house in 2017. Now there isn't enough room on the walls to hang guitars, so they remain in their cases (probably the best place for a guitar). Anyway, prior to hanging the guitars from the Hercules wall hangers I used String Swing hangers. The material that String Swing used began to mar the guitars that were finished in lacquer. I quickly changed to Hercules and those caused no damage in the five years I used them, and the mechanism never failed.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Another point I need to make is that I don't work for Hercules, but I never miss an opportunity to praise the product.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is (or was) there any difference in the feel or texture of the adjuster compared to the other plastic parts forming the hanger hook mechanism when they were new?
Because I wasn't looking for it back in 2009, I really have no baseline with which to compare. Since the stand sat in my studio for years and didn't really move or get adjusted, it's not like I even noticed it. If the hanger and the adjustment handle were made from the same material (and I don't know if they are), I would assume that the parts should have deteriorated at the same rate, being on the same stand in the same environment. The hanger, however, looked just like it did the day I bought it and was not sticky at all. This leads me to believe these failures are confined to the height-adjustment handle only. Based on other forum postings, that seems to be the experience of everyone having the issue.

To further support that notion, on the new Hercules stand I just bought, the handle mechanism has definitely been redesigned but the hanger mechanisms look virtually unchanged.

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
Funny, I was just looking up guitar stands the other day. The two that I have, one for the Strat and one for the LP, are made by the same company. They're anodized black aluminum. The neck telescopes, the brace for the neck folds down, and the three legs collapse if you want to put it away. The two support rods that the bottom of the guitar body sits on are covered in neoprene, as is the neck brace. I've had them for ten years, no issues. They just there, doing their thing on the floor. I probably paid $25 a piece for them.