Hercules GS405B or GS414B PLUS ?

XUR

Reaction score
I'm stuck trying to decide between which of these 2 stands I should get.

The GS405B supports the guitar at the bottom and seems to have less moving parts

The GS414B supports the guitar with the Auto Grip System at the neck. Also has a telescopic main height adjustment that seems concerning if it were to ever fail.

Wouldn't it be better to support the guitar at the base versus at the neck? Why do people prefer the hanging style stands?

Lastly... to confirm, the "specially formulated" rubber on these Hercules stands are 100% safe for our LP's nitro finishes?

Torshalla

Reaction score
I have a Hercules 412-B, which holds the guitar by the headstock and has a small support where the back rests. I have used it since 2012/2013 and have had no issues. Always had a Les Paul on it and no issue from the foam supports. The telescopic system is well designed and again, never had any issue with it (just don’t grab the stand by the release mechnism when a guitat is on it... but why would anyone do that)
Recently i cut black cotton glove fingers and slipped them over the foam supports as i became paranoiac reading forums and it was so easy to do... but I never had any issue at all with neither that stand nor the hercules wall mount with the same system / foam i have also used since 2013....
293C332A-A147-445E-AA77-4BF8F30755D8.jpeg

filtersweep

Reaction score
I don’t trust any stand with a gloss nitro finish.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I use the Hercules wall hanging models that grip the guitars by the neck. I have all of my nitro guitars on them, Custom Shop model Les Pauls and a Strat that I had done in period correct 50’s formula nitro. No issues and they have been hanging there for two years now.

Liquid State

Reaction score
all my wall hangers are the Hercules auto-grip and the few I have on the floor use the 414 auto-grip. I like them way better than stands that are supported at the bottom.

XUR

Reaction score
all my wall hangers are the Hercules auto-grip and the few I have on the floor use the 414 auto-grip. I like them way better than stands that are supported at the bottom.
Why is that? Do the 414 style stands put extra stress on the neck/headstock or no such thing?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is that? Do the 414 style stands put extra stress on the neck/headstock or no such thing?
You have between 80 and 120lbs of string tension depending on the scale length and string gauge.
An extra 8-10lbs of guitar body is irrelevant.

Liquid State

Reaction score
as mentioned above - I too am not concerned with stress on the neck/guitar by hanging form the headstock. Literally done it for many years without any detriment to the stability of the set-up, tuning, or anything...

I do like the 414 floor stands as "I think" they provide better stability than stands where the guitar rest on the bottom of the body. With the Herc 414 the entire weight of the guitar is held by the auto-grip and is placed directly over the center of the tri-pod (all weight equal on the 3 feet). On my old stands where the guitar rests on the bottom pads (and leans back into place) it always feels like there is more weight on the front of the stand and that was it likely to tip over.
Please note: I have never placed a guitar in both stands and tried to tip them over to test my theory. That said, I can tell that when I put the guitar in the 414 it feels more secure.

XUR

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice, I went with a GS412B PLUS!

jkes01

Reaction score
I have the Hercules 525b. You can buy add-on yokes to make the 323b hold 6 guitars and the 525b hold 10. :thumb:

Telechamp

Reaction score
Although not in the OP choices, another big thumbs up for the multi rack.
Yeah, wasn't sure of the model number on these Hercules stands that I've got... I guess I need to go up in the attic and look at the box..

pondcaster

Reaction score
Glad the OP found the one he was looking for.

For some (my bro), the multi-rack is just that. As many as you can put on it...!

Just Fenders, obviously they'll be fine.

Latest Threads