Henry possibly discontinuing Custom Shop Reissues??

indravayu

Reaction score
It is about time for Henry J. and company to take a hiatus, collect themselves and think about where they are going to take the Les Paul Historic next. 2013 and 2014 proved to be too successful. Did Henry's head in.

Not such a bad thing to sit it out. Meanwhile, pick nice dark smooth rosewood boards, mahogany and maple billets and stash them away for an eventual relaunch. Trouble is, what are they gonna be selling between now and the future?

The market is exhausted and mighty confused at the moment. Good to sit it out for a year or three.

Don't make/sell any guitars for a few years? Great business plan you've got there! :laugh2:

DanD

Reaction score
A few days ago, I was browsing one of the big box stores (Sam Ash, ZZounds, Musician's Friend...etc) I can't remember which one. They had Historics and True Historics listed at well under MAP on their website. Went back a few days later, prices were back to MAP.

Something's going on.

I've seen MF do this on several occasions. Last time I caught one of those sales , about 2 years ago, they were selling a VOS CC 13 for 4k, a few Maduro Brown CS Quilt Tops (all R9 spec w/long tenon) for $3200, and a couple special run R9s with special pups, wiring, pearly gates back color, and the feather weight option for 4k.

Someone here or over there (or both) bought the CC 13 which I passed on as it was really a plain top to my eyes and the CC connection on that one meant nothing to me. Maybe an older gent would have more love for The Lovin Spoonful than I do.

I snagged the last two special run R9s and was thinking of the CS R9 quilts. Went back a few days later with the intent of buying to flip the CS versions and they had sold.

I don't think it takes MF too long to move a few pieces when they throw them out there like that. :cool:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
It's good for a big manufacturer to cover all levels of a market.
And Gibson has done that with entry models up to the insanely expensive
signed and aged models.

If there is confusion or cannibalization at certain levels, they might want to
readjust their strategies.

Of course, with a boss like Henry, all is not logical, as we've seen in the past.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Of course there are always alternatives. I have not been able to put this thing down long enough to get my historic out of its case. :cool:

56C06_zpsbfextur7.jpg

MOP%201_zpslb3zymog.jpg

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372610

hoss

Reaction score
GitFiddle, oh my that top! The dish, the grain, the color. AMAZING!

jamman

Reaction score
Since everyone is giving their 2cents ,,,,
here's mine ....

MAYBE ,
Dave's .. Maybe , because he's no longer a (contracted) Dealer , he can post prices for anything he likes :hmm:

MAYBE ,
HJ knows the longer he waits to release the 2017's, the more anticipation is created for those who think ,these might be the last LP's ever(rumors serve him well). And Jump to buy (hopefully multi) at any price , once they hit the street .
Created Feeding frenzy ??? Thinking ,if they are the last , get in while you can ..
All while he plays you ... And later Floods the market .... Just like the last few years .
It's still early in the new year and IIRC Gibson has waited before to release the new years models .. Nothing new .... about this. Same song and dance:lol:

True ,,,
Sam Ash is Discounting TH's big time (K's). I've had an ex-manager /friend call 3 times trying to sell me 1 ....or more . Problem is ...Go look at them ... IMO @ those discounted prices(I paid less so no big deal to me) , they still ain't worth it .... I ain't ever buying another TH . Crappy frets (for me) makes it not worth thinking about a "Deal" and adding on a Re-Fret to the price .

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if Gibson just went out of business? Boom. Done.

JMB1984

Reaction score
I think everyone is overthinking this. Yes, Gibson is discontinuing the historic; meaning they are discontinuing the Standard Hisotric and True Historic. We know this already because they told us so at NAMM. Discountinuing those models does not mean the next iteration isn't already on the way (probably the combined version disclosed at NAMM).

I mentioned in the other thread that Daves has only been posting deals on these same discontinued models, but not the others. Here Mark mentioned this has happened with Daves before and new models are on hold at the Custom Shop. This all further supports the theory that the whole thing is just an inventory push on discontinued models.

Left Paw

Reaction score
The next NAMM show is what, three months from now? A whole new Gibson lime-up could be in the offing that includes historic reissues in some form or other.

jlb32

Reaction score
I think everyone is overthinking this. Yes, Gibson is discontinuing the historic; meaning they are discontinuing the Standard Hisotric and True Historic. We know this already because they told us so at NAMM. Discountinuing those models does not mean the next iteration isn't already on the way (probably the combined version disclosed at NAMM).

I mentioned in the other thread that Daves has only been posting deals on these same discontinued models, but not the others. Here Mark mentioned this has happened with Daves before and new models are on hold at the Custom Shop. This all further supports the theory that the whole thing is just an inventory push on discontinued models.

No other Ginson dealers seem to be highly discounting their Historics. Dave didn't renew his dealer status with Gibson hence why he can list them for less than MAP.

JMB1984

Reaction score
No other Ginson dealers seem to be highly discounting their Historics. Dave didn't renew his dealer status with Gibson hence why he can list them for less than MAP.

Dave's will be back. For all we know he has a deal worked out to do what he is doing. This game has been played before. Wildwood dropped PRS for a year or two to clear out inventory, and as of last year, they are back as a PRS dealer.

The rest of the vendors are discounting Gibson as well. People just have to pick up the phone and talk to them.

I'll always go to the forum vendors/sponsors first.

jlb32

Reaction score
Dave's will be back. For all we know he has a deal worked out to do what he is doing. This game has been played before. Wildwood dropped PRS for a year or two to clear out inventory, and as of last year, they are back as a PRS dealer.

The rest of the vendors are discounting Gibson as well. People just have to pick up the phone and talk to them.

I'll always go to the forum vendors/sponsors first.

Dave let Gibson go because their insane demands they put on their dealers now was just to much. They have to order so much inventory now and are only allowed to list at MAP it's hard for them to sell their stock.

The majority of buyers don't know they can negotiate price. They see MAP listed prices and move on to something cheaper.

DanD

Reaction score

WW and some other premier dealers have been marking new stock as used to sidestep MAP for some time now.

Anyone who follows the online dealers stock closely has already seen this at play.

Yesterday the guitar in question was marked new at full MAP, the following day you find the same guitar marked as 'used' with a big markdown.

Currently I'm seeing loads of CS Customs with the 'used' markdown. I guess the richlite models aren't selling. I'm also seeing Ace model sigs and Krieger sigs getting the used treatment. :hmm:

Latest Threads