Helping my friend own his first Les Paul.. result !!

Mike58

Reaction score
My good friend decided this year to own a Les Paul, the choices are many and he originally had an eye for a Classic in Honeyburst.
After a bit of chat and actually finding not too many of these about in the UK , we upped the game and looked at Standard 60s in Unburst finish.
Again not a huge choice, and in these Covid times every purchase is a distance sale.
Unbelievably there were 3 for sale from our ( relatively ) local Kenny’s Music and all looked good but one really stood out having a really nicely matched top and a very good weight of 8lb6oz ironically lighter than any weight relieved Classic available !
Great comms and personal delivery from Kenny’s Music ( disclaimer: no affiliation whatsoever) and the offer of a free setup from their own Gibson authorized luthier should it be required after purchase.
I think the pics speak for themselves... the guitar is flawless .. and the top is ... to us..just right, not too ostentatious but looks, well, pretty special.
9B29D373-FD24-42EF-841F-4FA153B8A2D4.jpeg
F417F551-8627-4AFF-B2A1-C5DCF55298BC.jpeg
C0B6F603-B57A-4B74-9611-3C4F50C263CE.jpeg
9C96EB58-DD07-4F1C-9ED8-546B893D0FD7.jpeg
N

Last edited:

Gitter

Reaction score
Beautiful score! I haven't seen many Standards under 9lbs! Ironically, I did recently see a Classic that was 10.5lbs!

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Beautiful! I find my self wanting a standard even though I already have an LP, and I sure wish mine was 8.5 lbs not 10.5!

Mike58

Reaction score
Nut is shallow , but no issues with strings pinging out , tbh I’d rather have a shallow cut nut that had a bit of room to deepen a fraction than the other way round
My own Tom Murphy Custom Shop R9 has a similar cut and its just fine.
I have to say ( and I’m not the owner) it is a very fine example. You just get lucky sometimes, but I do have a feeling the dealer in this instance ( Kenny’s Music , Scotland UK) has above average standards ( no pun intended) when it comes to customer care. Something increasingly rare these days.

Last edited:

Mike58

Reaction score
very nice! I think unburst is my favorite finish!
I hope your friend is happy with the guitar
I agree on Unburst being a favourite finish. To me it doesn’t look “ brand new”, avoids clownburst horrors but is not anaemic as it does retain some reds .
The fact that you are not paying Custom Shop prices for what is effectively a pre aged top is a real bonus and I think if you put the Unburst up against some of the earlier CS finishes you would be hard put to tell the difference from a distance. ( I’m not comparing CS aged tops tho).
A1F8EA28-103A-4FDE-A380-7044C906482D.jpeg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
60s standards are unbeatable...
maybe the best dollar for dollar musical instrument on earth....

unbusts are badass too...
so happy for your friend

welcome to the cult!

-chris

Latest Threads