Help with wiring? ...would be appreciated !

morelespaul

Reaction score
This is wiring in a (mij) bass with humbucking pickups with 3 conductor wiring..not 2...not 4 (from what I can tell and have gathered).
There is a coil tap switch ( I believe it is a coil tap and not a coil splitting set up. Could be wrong, though).

What's not working is that the Volume pot does nothing, but I'm getting full sound at full volume.
The tone pot works as it should. The 3 way toggle works as it should.

The bridge and neck pickups sound very similar (in their respective 3 way toggle positions),
but the middle position is quite a bit different sounding, as it should be. The output of the
pickups are close in reading at a little over 7k. The bridge is about .15k higher in output than the neck.
(I'm stating this last paragraph to say that I think the 3 way is working properly and I'm not somehow getting the same pickup in positions 1 and 3. )

The 2nd and more concerning problem, besides the volume pot doing nothing, is that the 'splitter switch' (dpdt) kills all sound in the down position, while things are normal (and good sounding) in the up position. It's a 2 position switch. (Not 3. Again I'm talking about the smaller switch, not the normal, Gibson-like 3 position pickup selecting switch).
It's supposed to be a coil tap (or possibly split) switch from what I've read,
and is stock/original to this bass. (at least in design. It's possible it could have been replaced at one
time and wired incorrectly, but I doubt it. I'm thinking everything here is stock and original)

So...Does it appear to be wired correctly? Would the volume pot going bad have any bearing on
what the dpdt switch does, or how it behaves? I put my ohmmeter on the volume
pot across every combination of lugs and got nothing more than 7k. The tone pot 'ohmed out' at 400+k.
Any help beyond wild guesses, lol, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Please excuse my crude and non-technical drawing of the wiring layout. In this drawing,
Ground is marked 'G' and the white wires (in actual photo) are represented with green lines in the drawing and marked 'w'. Green colored =white. I couldn't very well draw white on white paper. Thanks.
007 copy.jpg
015 copy1.jpg

Last edited:

morelespaul

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the coil tap switch is wired correctly (or has possibly gone bad). I just put my ohm meter on the pickup wires themselves and the (red wire and the ground) read about 7k and the (white wire and the ground) read around 5k or so (while still soldered to the lugs of the 3 way and the coil tap switch. So I think the pickups are fine. But when I flip the dpdt switch into it's other position it gives no reading between these wires (again, while soldered to the lugs). Any thoughts ?

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Ok, you have a 3 way rotary switch there.... gotcha. (Was wondering what the hell that was.)
It looks like there is no connection from the volume to the tone from the diagram you drew up. AND the coil tap switch isn't wired correctly.
And, if I understand rightly, the coil tap switch, (Which actually is a coil shunt switch that send the hot of one coil to ground, thus giving you a single coil sound.) is killing all sound.
Here is a diagram that will work for you, ignoring the 3 way rotary switch.
singletogglemastercoiltap_zps52eaffca.jpg

Of course, green is ground.
The blue and orange wires (RED for yours) from the pickup go to the 3 way.
3 way out goes to the volume pot, which goes to the tone pot, and the output jack.
The tap wires (white pick up wires according to your handwritten diagram) go to the mini toggle switch, then the middle lugs of the switch gets wired together, and sent to ground. This way, when the switch is off, the tap wires do nothing. When the switch is on, the tap wires are sent to ground, therefore sending one coil's signal to ground.

Yeah, I know, long explanation, but I just finished a cup of coffee!

Last edited:

morelespaul

Reaction score
Ok, you have a 3 way rotary switch there.... gotcha. (Was wondering what the hell that was.)
It looks like there is no connection from the volume to the tone from the diagram you drew up. AND the coil tap switch isn't wired correctly.
And, if I understand rightly, the coil tap switch, (Which actually is a coil shunt switch that send the hot of one coil to ground, thus giving you a single coil sound.) is killing all sound.
Here is a diagram that will work for you, ignoring the 3 way rotary switch.
View attachment 310355

Of course, green is ground.
The blue and orange wires (RED for yours) from the pickup go to the 3 way.
3 way out goes to the volume pot, which goes to the tone pot, and the output jack.
The tap wires (white pick up wires according to your handwritten diagram) go to the mini toggle switch, then the middle lugs of the switch gets wired together, and sent to ground. This way, when the switch is off, the tap wires do nothing. When the switch is on, the tap wires are sent to ground, therefore sending one coil's signal to ground.

Yeah, I know, long explanation, but I just finished a cup of coffee!

Hey, thanks very much for the thoughtful and in depth reply !
Just for the record this is a 3 way , toggle type switch, looking much like a gibson style switch on top. Probably doesn't matter, but thought I'd mention it.
I found this same diagram (and it took me a bit of time to find it, so thanks if you also had to do a bit of searching...) but wasn't sure if it would work in my case.
Another thing with regard to this diagram.....I looked down the page on the forum-post (where I found the diagram) and guys were saying that it wasn't quite right and that there's something not right with the volume and tone, or at least not 'ideal.' I was viewing it in a post on the 'unofficial Warmoth' page...talking about 'master coil tap', if you wanted to see their conversation (which you probably don't, lol). Anyway, assuming it IS correct: Looking at what you said about the volume not being connected to the tone, I see what you're saying.
Are you saying that there's no connection to 'output' from the volume pot? Yeah, (after a little studying) that doesn't seem like it can work, and is probably why the volume pot 'does nothing' currently. What do you think about this....generously offered by another guy online....
pearldiagramhelp.jpg

Last edited:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
The addition of the red wire on your diagram, yes.
The coil tap switch, with removing the wire, yes.
And I thought that was a 3 way rotary.... yesh. Since you mentioned Maxon pickups, I assume an older Ibanez?

morelespaul

Reaction score
The red wire worked perfectly ! Thanks badpenguin for the input.

Latest Threads