Help with Wiring Issue Please

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's possible that it's just the connections on the neck pup wire. If the neck pup isn't working then you WOULDN'T get any sound in the 1st or middle position. Do keep us posted though, I'm anxious to see you get it fixed but I'm really curious as to the problem. :fingersx:

onlypadog

Reaction score
It's possible that it's just the connections on the neck pup wire. If the neck pup isn't working then you WOULDN'T get any sound in the 1st or middle position. Do keep us posted though, I'm anxious to see you get it fixed but I'm really curious as to the problem. :fingersx:
Even on the bridge pup in middle position which works on its own...?

I want to get it fixed too! I guess it's a good thing I've picked a £160 Epi for my first attempt at mods rather than a more expensive axe...best way to learn!

Do you mean it could be the connections on the pup itself? I ran the multimeter across the pup and got a good signal through to the ground at the tailpiece and to the connections on the pots, all seemed to check out...

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When you're in the middle position, you know you need both the neck and the bridge volume turned on or nothing comes out. Unless you are wired for independent volume control that's they way it works. Take an LP that's working and put it in the middle (both pickup) position. Turn the bridge volume on but leave the neck volume off. You will get nothing. Turn you neck volume on and you have sound. That's why I'm thinking a bad neck pot or maybe the solder joint at either the switch or the pot is bad. It's just a thought. Did you check the toggle switch for continuity? It may not be bad. I don't know what else to suggest. :hmm:

onlypadog

Reaction score
I think that my soldering at the volume pots was quite good - I did these while the rig was out of the guitar so I had a lot more room to manouver (see pic 2)...thats why I'm suspecting the switch out of the two - I didn't quite leave enough cable and it was tight when I was soldering to the switch - it got a bit messy.

Couple this with the fact I had then done it wrong and needed to re-do it, all this soldering, desoldering, soldering again and all the time pulling on the wires made it a bit awful, with the metal braided outside getting frayed and touching everywhere. Same goes for the Jack...that's why I'm doing it all again, new switch and insulated cable and do it outside the guitar before feeding the wires through and cutting down to size there. Hopefully that will do the trick...If not, I'll re-do the volume pots too :)

onlypadog

Reaction score
Ok time for an update as my extra bits came today.

Wired in a new switch, nice and neat this time...
IMG_0689.jpg

And a new jack:
IMG_0691.jpg

AND a new Neck volume pot as that was the pup from which I had no sound where I left it the other day...tone pot responded normally on the multimeter so left that...

Now I'm back to square one - no sound at all from either pickup in any switch position.

I officially give up: she's going in to the shop at the weekend. I've broken her, and wonder if she'll ever forgive me...

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That looks right. Makes me wonder if you got a dead pup. It happens but SD pays so much attention to quality, you wouldn't even consider that as a possibility. :hmm::hmm: I don't know, I'm just sorry we couldn't figure it out for you.

Phildog

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think you have any bad components. I wonder if you should go back and reflow ALL of your solder connections. The reason I say that is because you got sound before (even from 1 pickup), but now you don't...it's because of something YOU did. And all you did was solder. I bet you have a cold joint on your switch, or even your pickups. BTW, what kind of switch did you get? A Switchcraft or other brand. It matters as the grounds are a little different on the Switchcraft.

onlypadog

Reaction score
Hey all

Guess what - I have an answer!

And yes, it was something suitably ridiculous. I had left the earth braid on the jack plug slightly too long in my caution and as I fed the jack plug back into the body and secured it, the earth was curling around. When I plugged the cord in, it connected with this earth braid and sent my amp straight to earth, bypassing everything.

Now she works, I had her set up at the same time and she sounds AWESOME!

On another note - this isn't an NGD but at the same time I picked up my Silverburst Custom which was in the shop having the full works done - Gibson Burstbucker Pros, CTS pots with 0.022 bumblebees in 50's style, switchcraft hardware and Gibson vintage tuners with a full set up afterwards. Here's some pics cos I didn't put her on this part of the forum when I first joined. The pics are taken before I had her modded....except the last one, which shows the new guts :D I've also taken the PG off now. Does it warrant a NGD thread? I never got boobs for this one....

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Glad to here your problem is solved and there isn't any reason you can't start a NGD thread for your LPC Silverburst. Go for it, we all enjoy the boobs! :)

painter33

Reaction score
I have another question. I've rewired many Strats and Teles with pushback wire, but the braided metal cable on a Les Paul has been a challenge. Cutting the cable is easy; pulling back the cable and cotton sheath is easy, but can I cut the braiding without cutting the black sheathing? When soldering the braid to the pots and then to the lugs, I don't want to make a mess. I use a little CA glue on cotton, but on metal shielding, I just don't have a technique. Is there a trick to keeping this neat.

Thanks.

Latest Threads