Help with wiring/ is this possible?

C Squared

Reaction score
Have a very odd wiring I'd like to try, and it's specific to what I would hope to achieve. Not sure if its possible or not. I'm good with following diagrams and decent with an iron, but when it comes to mapping things out, I NEED HELP lol

After playing Les Pauls for years, I like the controls. Toggle switch up top. 2 volumes and 2 tones. It works great.
After doing a tele/strat hybrid build for my daughter for her Bday, I want to make a Daddy/Daughter set. But I know after dumping so many, I hate strat controls, I hate tele controls. I want LP controls lol

So here is what I'm wondering:
If i go the route of HSH pickup combination I'd like to use
3 way toggle
Bridge Volume
Bridge Tone
Middle and neck wired to Volume
MIddle and neck wired to Tone

So far relatively straightforward, here is where my big question lies:

Can I use a single DPDT switch/pot that would simultaneously
Up: Kill the single in the middle and make the neck a Humbucker
Down: Split the humbucker and bring in the single in the middle

My Fav position on a Strat is the neck and middle. You never quite get the same with a bridge and neck humbucker split. So I am trying to see if I can get close to that without losing what my hands are used to.

Pick of my daughter with her guitar. She spent the year picking yellow flowers and chasing bumblebees, so this seemed a great way to commemorate her trip around the sun.

Attachments

• bumblebee.jpg
    bumblebee.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 17
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 16

cmjohnson

Reaction score
With the right switches you can do anything you can think of. For example, rather than use very common C&K series 7100 switches (1 circuit) or fairly common 2 circuit 7200 switches, you can bump it up to 3 and 4 circuit 7300 and 7400 series switches, so you have different switching circuits being activated with the same switch action.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
With the right switches you can do anything you can think of. For example, rather than use very common C&K series 7100 switches (1 circuit) or fairly common 2 circuit 7200 switches, you can bump it up to 3 and 4 circuit 7300 and 7400 series switches, so you have different switching circuits being activated with the same switch action.
he asked "Can I use a single DPDT switch/pot"

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I'm simply pointing out that by using more versatile switches, you can make "impossible" switching options easy. It's good to know what your variety of options really is, whether you want to use them right now or not.

Latest Threads