Help with truss rod. No relief in neck with truss rod all the way loose

Mike M

Reaction score
So I bought a neck about 6 months ago for a project I did. The neck will give no back bow with the truss rod completely loose. Is there a way to force the neck to have more relief? I can turn the truss rod nut with my fingers because it is so loose and still nothing. I have 10's on the guitar and I don't want to go any higher on the gauge. It is a single action truss rod like a Les Paul.

Thanks

Sunburstman

Reaction score
Hey Mike
stew-mac has a free information video on this, also I had a neck on a guitar build from 10 years ago and I loosend the truss rod and put string size 12's on it which helped.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
A couple of approaches. The 'patience' approach is either to string it up with 12s or 13s, or tune it up to F or F-sharp, and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It won't hurt a solidbody one little bit.

The 'now' approach (I do this with new builds) is to put about a quarter-turn of tension on the truss rod, then re-dress the board/frets flat. Now you can back off the nut and get relief.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
You are a wise man, indeed, Mr. Hicklin. I don't have your expertise/experience, but did figure out (learn) that if a one-way has to be used, I go at the FB with a card scraper to get at least .012 around the 7th or 8th fret area. Now that was back in the 70's when people were babbling about the making of a two-way- they were a rarity. The always stoned, fellow hippie luthier ( he was very good, notwithstanding) taught me that- I don't claim to have figured that out on my own. I first saw it published in Cumpiano's (and Natelsen) "Tradition and Technology"- even in that, most of the technology was the use of an electric router, though a power (electrical)drill press was routine.

ARandall

Reaction score
Maybe sit the guitar on two solid supports cradling either end and sit some heavy weight on the fretboard......force it to have relief.

Latest Threads