Help with pick guard ID

SounderStudios

Reaction score
Bought this guard thinking it was for an Early 70's SG Deluxe but I believe it's for an LP. Can anyone ID the years these specs were used? Pickguard is 5 ply with one thin and one thicker white layer. The pointed part in the front measures only 3/4" along the top. Maybe an early 70s LP Custom?

Thanks

Sounder

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 28

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Pretty sure a SG would have more screw holes than that (diff locales too) but yea, I guess you know that now.

Other than the Historics though, I'm not aware of the detailed differences over the years. I always generally been able to make them 'work' on most modern stuff. Looks like a custom though. (?)

JMB1984

Reaction score
Generally SG pickguards have 1 of 2 shapes, neither of which are that.

It looks rather pointed and not typical of Gibson. Are you sure it's from a Gibson?

The black/white layered guards are generally used by Gibson on carved top guitars with multi-ply binding, such as a Les Paul custom or possibly something in the hollow/semi-hollow body realm. Gibson has also made a lot of interesting guitars over the years that are no longer in production. I'm not sure that you are going to get measurement specs without contacting Gibson customer service.

SounderStudios

Reaction score
Thanks. The early 70s SG Deluxe had this style pickguard with one extra hole. It was mounted flat to the body. I'm thinking this one is from an LP Custom. Unsure of the year.

JMB1984

Reaction score
After some image searching I see what you mean in regards to the early 70s deluxes. Though it looks like the one hole is too close to the middle to be one of those, as if the hole is for the type of metal bracket used to mount it to a carved top.

Latest Threads