Help with Martin D28-12

oicu812

Reaction score
One for sale locally and I am having a hard time finding much info on this custom shop model. What is the "12" mean?

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I have a D12-28. 2015 model. Magnificent guitar!

Prior to my modifications:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
One for sale locally and I am having a hard time finding much info on this custom shop model. What is the "12" mean?
Post the ad if you are able. Custom shop models can be all over the place from a limited run for a given store, or a one of a kind requested by a customer.

12 frets, I believe. (Nut to body)
Correct. There are 12 fret and 14 fret models. The 12 fret are usually remakes of the original models Martin produced. The 14 frets started being made in the early 1930s.

oicu812

Reaction score
got the story. Really the big deal is cocobolo back and sides, upgraded spruce, waverly open tuners. It was a limited run in 2012 (where the 12 comes from) with the wood used.

Last edited:

oicu812

Reaction score
Specs. I know it is subjective, but what is this thing worth?

2012 Martin Custom Shop CS D28 in Coccobolo back and sides. Excellent plus condition, the best Martin I have ever played in my 60 years of guitar playing. Better than my Gene Awtrey Brazilian Rosewood guitar even. The bass and attack is unsurpassed. Selling because old age is setting in and my hands don’t work as good as they used to and it’s a shame to keep it as a closet queen. Check out what they say in the unofficial Martin guitar forum. https://umgf.com/cs-d28-12-club-t136033.html
No nicks or scratches that penetrate the surface. Just a small indentation in upper bout which is only visible if you hold it a certain way.
The CS-D28-12 is a gorgeous 14-fret dreadnought highlighted by its Cocobolo back and sides, and Adirondack spruce top. Cocobolo is a rare and dense tonewood from Mexico that delivers beautiful bell-like tones. The custom model features two way trussrod, forward shifted and scalloped bracing along with herringbone trim. Also included on the CS-D28-12 and new for 2012 is the Custom Shop Thin Finish package. This nitrocellulose finish is 40% thinner than the standard C.F. Martin nitrocellulose finish. Only 125 of these instruments will be made for the world in 2012.
Model: CS-D28-12
Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint - Hide Glue Construction
Body Size: D-14 Fret
Top: Solid Adirondack Spruce
Rosette: Style 28
Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped (Golden Era Style), Forward Shifted
Top Braces: Solid Adirondack Spruce 5/16''
Back Material: Solid Cocobolo
Back Purfling: HD Zig-Zag
Side Material: Solid Cocobolo
Endpiece: Grained Ivoroid
Endpiece Inlay: Black/White Fiber
Binding: Grained Ivoroid
Top Inlay Style: Fine Herringbone
Side Inlay: none
Back Inlay: Black/White Fiber
Neck Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
Neck Shape: Special Shape / Hand Carved
Nut Material: Fossilized Ivory
Headstock: Solid/Long Diamond/Square Taper
Headplate: Solid Cocobolo
Heelcap: Grained Ivoroid
Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
Scale Length: 25.4''
Number of Frets Clear: 14
Number of Frets Total: 20
Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4''
Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/4''
Fingerboard Position Inlays: Diamond & Squares - Long Pattern (Golden Era Style)
Fingerboard Binding: none
Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss / Thin Finish
Finish Top: Polished Gloss / Thin Finish
Finish Neck: Satin
Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
Bridge Style: 1930s Style Belly w/ Long Saddle
Bridge String Spacing: 2-5/16''
Saddle: 16'' Radius/Fossilized Ivory

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Specs. I know it is subjective, but what is this thing worth?

2012 Martin Custom Shop CS D28 in Coccobolo back and sides. Excellent plus condition, the best Martin I have ever played in my 60 years of guitar playing. Better than my Gene Awtrey Brazilian Rosewood guitar even. The bass and attack is unsurpassed. Selling because old age is setting in and my hands don’t work as good as they used to and it’s a shame to keep it as a closet queen. Check out what they say in the unofficial Martin guitar forum. https://umgf.com/cs-d28-12-club-t136033.html
No nicks or scratches that penetrate the surface. Just a small indentation in upper bout which is only visible if you hold it a certain way.
The CS-D28-12 is a gorgeous 14-fret dreadnought highlighted by its Cocobolo back and sides, and Adirondack spruce top. Cocobolo is a rare and dense tonewood from Mexico that delivers beautiful bell-like tones. The custom model features two way trussrod, forward shifted and scalloped bracing along with herringbone trim. Also included on the CS-D28-12 and new for 2012 is the Custom Shop Thin Finish package. This nitrocellulose finish is 40% thinner than the standard C.F. Martin nitrocellulose finish. Only 125 of these instruments will be made for the world in 2012.
Model: CS-D28-12
Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint - Hide Glue Construction
Body Size: D-14 Fret
Top: Solid Adirondack Spruce
Rosette: Style 28
Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped (Golden Era Style), Forward Shifted
Top Braces: Solid Adirondack Spruce 5/16''
Back Material: Solid Cocobolo
Back Purfling: HD Zig-Zag
Side Material: Solid Cocobolo
Endpiece: Grained Ivoroid
Endpiece Inlay: Black/White Fiber
Binding: Grained Ivoroid
Top Inlay Style: Fine Herringbone
Side Inlay: none
Back Inlay: Black/White Fiber
Neck Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
Neck Shape: Special Shape / Hand Carved
Nut Material: Fossilized Ivory
Headstock: Solid/Long Diamond/Square Taper
Headplate: Solid Cocobolo
Heelcap: Grained Ivoroid
Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
Scale Length: 25.4''
Number of Frets Clear: 14
Number of Frets Total: 20
Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4''
Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/4''
Fingerboard Position Inlays: Diamond & Squares - Long Pattern (Golden Era Style)
Fingerboard Binding: none
Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss / Thin Finish
Finish Top: Polished Gloss / Thin Finish
Finish Neck: Satin
Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
Bridge Style: 1930s Style Belly w/ Long Saddle
Bridge String Spacing: 2-5/16''
Saddle: 16'' Radius/Fossilized Ivory
Truly drool worthy! Definitely a higher end model. The Adirondack spruce and hide glue construction alone makes it pricier.

The best place to ask that question is the umgf.com. Pricing customs can be tricky. General rule of thumb is 50% of the original MSRP, but that is for production models.

Limited custom runs may or may not increase in value due to their limited numbers.

Best of luck with it either way!

G Man

Reaction score
I would guess that used it would still draw close to $4k, but I really don't know.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
beautiful guitar. where is this for sale?

Left Paw

Reaction score
Is worth what you will pay. I think Martin really muddied the water with this model number. I would have thought a 12-fret dread for sure.

oicu812

Reaction score
I am certain of that. I have a bit of trouble paying double the price of a similar model with IR. Is cocobolo that big of a deal? That is the only real difference of any note.

Latest Threads