Help with Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro

Deek

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know most of this exists all throughout the forum, but perhaps I can add something interesting or relevant to others.

I have a Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro and it has become my favorite guitar for all my home recording and playing (Mac, S-Gear, Logic...). I have mostly Fenders, but am now a firm convert on the shorter scale (not to mention humbuckers and computer sound). While I can't get the funky quack of my strats, I am really happy with tones from this guitar, from clean to shredding and everything in between (just not funk, but hey, you can't have it all). I spent a whole afternoon playing about a dozen low cost LPs at GC and this one really jumped out for me. I recommend anyone interested in getting a nice LP for under $600 to do the same. This is way different from when I was a youngster and cheap guitars were just plain cheap.

Any way, I upgraded it with a TUSQ nut and a Gotoh bridge and I thought it made a huge difference in tone (not to mention addressing intonation issues on my G string). However after all that I still have issues of it staying in tune. Almost every time I pick it up it is still sharp. It seems to defy logic. I have tried different strings and it just keeps happening. How does this happen and what can I do to fix it?

Another problem. I am horrible at soldering, but I want to face my fears. My pickup switch is doing odd things, such as the bridge pickup being silent until I flick it back and forth a bit. Any recommendations on a good switch? Will any old switch work or does it have an impact on tone? I look up soldering on my own!

rem22

Reaction score
Hi

Put some pencil on the nut slots, graphite will lubricate the nut. And be sure your strings are correctly mounted on the turning machines. Also stretch the strings regularly after replacing them.

For the soldering, it's very fun and you will learn how to swap pups, discover a whole new world (like Duncan pups and so on...). Switchcraft makes good quality switch. Do not choose a solder Iron that is week, you want at least 30w.

Have fun !

skydog

Reaction score
Unless you know the switch is bad, try heating up the solder joints. If replacing, get a quality switch. Sometimes varying humidity can cause the tuning issues.

Tru-Blu

Reaction score
I'll second what the other guys have already said. Soldering looks harder than what it actually is. There are some good videos on YouTube that help show proper technique, and you'll want to start out just practicing on soldering two wires together to get the flow of it (pun intended).

I'd also recommend getting a clamp stand that has a magnifying glass on it (or something you can wear on your head). Makes it a LOT easier to see and control what you're doing - especially if you're an old fart like me.

The more you do, the easier it will get. Pretty soon you'll be changing pickups and hardware like you're changing clothes.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
TUSQ nut should not need lubricant, but it probably doesn't hurt.
Stringing the instrument right is important to keep it tune:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc[/ame]

As mentioned variations in temperature and humidity will alter tuning too.

I think the 3 way switch is the only item left out from the improvements on Epiphone electrics this decade. Replace with a Switchcraft - beware that you may need the short version, and not all 3 way switches are wired alike. But maybe train your soldering skills first :)
Good luck!

Deek

Reaction score
TUSQ nut should not need lubricant, but it probably doesn't hurt.
Stringing the instrument right is important to keep it tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

Thanks everyone. That's a great video - I never saw the bend trick. I'm trying it today. I agree the nut should not need graphite, but... Also, I have a 1995 Voodoo strat in the same room and it stays in tune like crazy. I can deal with it. On to Stu Mac to order that switch and soldering iron (30 watt min as suggested).

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Practice soldering on some spare parts first. No need to be scared about it- you will uncover a whole host of mods you can do for cheap or free.

Latest Threads