Help with identifying MIJ or MIK and year Greco

guitarbaba

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here!

I've been searching here and all over the web, and you know how hard this can be for the novice. I bought a Greco, probably 6-8 years ago, and haven't really cared until recently, but I might be looking to take a couple of Burnys off a friends' hands in the future, so, I've been searching and trying to date all of these.

Right now, I only have pics of my Greco, so I'd appreciate any help/education I could get about it's origins and dating. The guy who sold it to me, said he did the research and swears it's a MIJ from '77, but I'm not sure I believe him. It's a great playing and sounding guitar, regardless, I'd just like to know it's origins and age, because, I probably should, lol.

Here's what I know/can see:

1. No serial number
2. Bell shaped truss rod cover, not modified, just two screws, etc
3. Neck volume pot looks to have been replaced, it's bigger than the other 3, and more "american" or normal sized. There is nothing stamped on them
4. The control cavity is treated with that black shielding paint
5. I have never taken the pickups out to look at them
6. No bridge inserts (as you can see)
7. Bone, non-sloped nut (as you can see)
8. I replaced the bridge/tailpiece, knobs, and tuners myself.

MijHunter94

Reaction score
What does Inside the pickup cavity look like? Some Grecos were made by Tokai and some by Fujigen and then you have Cort's MIK Greco's. Looking inside It'll help, inside of Tokai's Greco pickup holes will be routed differently and have a certain look to em and then tenon will have a certain look/shape to it. Cort made The MIK stuff the pots usually is where some people will check If they are Cort pots its most likely a MIK. you have to be careful with these non serial number Greco's Its easy to get burned a lot of people will lie and say its MIJ when Its MIK and alot of people can't tell the difference. Going for the "Mint Collection Series"or the "Super Power" Greco's are safer and usually so much rewarding. Cheers.

Last edited:

Greco

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum!!

I own a 1976 Greco EG-900 (identified by its pickups) and I think I can say that the headstock logo is different from mine. The O on your headstock is not fully closed and even the font looks different. While my guitar may be a ‘76, the ‘77 models share the same style of logo. If it was a EG-700, the truss rod would say standard and not be blank. HOWEVER, the strangest thing here is diamond inlay on the headstock and block inlays, as no EG-700 would have that as they were considered the equivalent to LP standards of the time. It is possible it could be an EGC-700 which is a model made in the 70s but I need to do more research for you to be sure. Hope I was able to help!

Attachments

wulfman

ABB Fan
Reaction score
Ditto to what Roxy said. It's a solid Korean-made Greco. They generally have a synthetic fretboard (ebonite?).

Roxy13

Reaction score
I thought his looked like the ebonite. I liked it. It's super smooth.

I thought the build quality of the one I had was impressive. The tenon was one of the best fitting ones I've seen on any of my guitars and the rest of the workmanship was all top notch as well. And I like the diamond inlay on them! I's kind of like abalone.

guitarbaba

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Upon the research I had done once in a while, over the years, I was kind of leaning towards it possibly being Korean.

Honestly, I probably paid a little too much for it, BUT, it's a VERY nice guitar, and sounds REALLY good, so, sometimes those things are more valuable than the deal you got, etc.

This Greco is the only "LP" I own, but, I really like the newer Gibson LP Studios I've played in the stores, and, my friend said he would let his Burnys go for really cheap, so, when the time comes, I'll do the research on those to see their origins as well. :)

MijHunter94

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Upon the research I had done once in a while, over the years, I was kind of leaning towards it possibly being Korean.

Honestly, I probably paid a little too much for it, BUT, it's a VERY nice guitar, and sounds REALLY good, so, sometimes those things are more valuable than the deal you got, etc.

This Greco is the only "LP" I own, but, I really like the newer Gibson LP Studios I've played in the stores, and, my friend said he would let his Burnys go for really cheap, so, when the time comes, I'll do the research on those to see their origins as well. :)
Well that's all that matters in the end. If you love and enjoy what you have and it keeps you coming back to it then you are golden. Depending on the deal for the Burny's your friend has, I say go for it. If you are able to play them before hand well that's the dream scenario. A lot of people don't get to do that when buying MIJ guitar's. I'd also look out for Bacchus LP's for that kind of money/budget. The look and spec of Bacchus BLS Lp's, are some of the best LP's right now imo friend of mine has a BLS59 and It's a monster. Just make sure you don't get a Universe series.

Latest Threads