Help with home "studio" gear.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a TASCAM 32 track portastudio and am really new at recording. I'm not pretending to be a pro, I just want to record some of my own stuff for my kids, have fun, leave the bloopers in sometimes, or check on progression when trying to learn or develop a new song. I won a tube MIC pre-amp in a local contest, and wonder if I have any use for it? I mostly record my amps and cabs with the old stand-by SM57. I can go through the 26 band EQ in my rack and use some of the other built in stuff, and go directly to the SDHD card. Since I'm recording with the MIC's on the speaker's sweet spot, will It do me any good to run it through a MIC pre-amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If my question doesn't make sense, chalk it up to my ignorance on the subject.

Thanks,
J.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
A good mic preamp will fatten up your sound. Its not, however, necessary for what you are doing. I would experiment with it to see how much you like it. What model preamp is it?

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
A good mic preamp will fatten up your sound. Its not, however, necessary for what you are doing. I would experiment with it to see how much you like it. What model preamp is it?
It's a Behringer UltraGain PRO MIC2200 rack mount. Also have an ART Tube Amp Studio, someone just gave me. But no documentation with that.
I do know that some Pro Studio pre-amps costs thousands, but I'm quite sure I don't need one of those.
Thanks,
J.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Any mic needs some kind of preamp. The preamp's sole job is to take the tiny, miniscule signal that comes from the mic and boost it to a workable level.

The Tascam has mic preamps. They are likely very clean, standard IC chip preamps which are perfectly fine.
The Behringer tube mic pre likely has a lot more colour or character...who knows if you'll like it on a source as compared to the Tascam, but it wouldn't hurt to try it and see if you like the character that it imparts ....probably more distorted, a little fatter, more in your face. But you may consider the Tascam mic pres to be flatter, less coloured and more of a standard go-to.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
Any mic needs some kind of preamp. The preamp's sole job is to take the tiny, miniscule signal that comes from the mic and boost it to a workable level.

The Tascam has mic preamps. They are likely very clean, standard IC chip preamps which are perfectly fine.
The Behringer tube mic pre likely has a lot more colour or character...who knows if you'll like it on a source as compared to the Tascam, but it wouldn't hurt to try it and see if you like the character that it imparts ....probably more distorted, a little fatter, more in your face. But you may consider the Tascam mic pres to be flatter, less coloured and more of a standard go-to.
What Freddy said is spot on. Also keep in mind how your gain structure will change using the outboard mic pre. Does the TASCAM unit have Line inputs? you might want to use those if going through the tube pre. You can use the Behringer into mic/pre inputs of the TASCAM, you just need to finesse gains a bit. Have fun with it.

Latest Threads