Help with headstock decal

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I'm currently building my first guitar and made a mock up of my headstock decal. I want to do a water slide I guess unless there is another option that's better. I'm thinking gold letters. Im not finished with the neck yet i just want to know how to make one and get some practice. Anyway any advice is appreciated in advance!

ARandall

Reaction score
There is supposedly printer sheets that are decals....not sure about the details, but plenty of people have done this for pedals, so I guess this would work for a headstock too.
If you plan to clear over it, you might have to choose your ink carefully

pshupe

Reaction score
Personally I would go with MOP. Contact forum member Tulsah. His work is awesome and very reasonable. You could also look into silk screening, that would be cool. Those are also vintage correct headstock logo materials.

Cheers Peter.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine who has done quite a few of his own headstock decals, here is what he had to say:

"Decals are done by simply using whatever art process you have available to make the design, then printing it out on decal paper (available many places – I use clear laser paper from Papilio). The only time it gets tricky is if you need a color fill like my “Finger” decal. I had to print them out reverse-image, paint the gold by hand, then soak them off the backing paper, flip them over and rub some glue on the non-glued side to apply. You can also get ink-jet paper and do full color (except white, gold and silver), but you have to spray fixative before soaking and I just never had satisfactory results with that. White-backed paper is also available, but that’s never worked well either.

You can get a special printer made by ALPS that prints all colors including white, gold and silver on clear film. That would be the ideal if you had 400 bucks to waste."

John Bauers

Reaction score
You can make your own water slides using gummed paper.

You need to tape the paper to a flat board gummed side up.

Spray a thin coat of nitrocellulose lacquer over the paper.

Allow to dry for a couple of weeks, you can then use an ink jet printer to print you design.

Re-tape to a board and spray over the logo with another coat of nitro. Allow to dry fo 2 weeks.

Cut out your design and soak in water. The design will become detached from the paper. It is very frgile so try to use the paper to suport it and carfully slide into position. Pat down to remove air bubbles and leave over night.

To seal the design, mist a coat of thinners over it to break the surface followed by a very light coat of nitro.

The idea is that the nitro backing of the transfer gets melted into the finish leaving the design trapped in the finish.

This only works if you are using a cellulose finish.

I used to make RC scale models and used this technique to make loads of transfers.

It is time consuming and I suggest you print off a few of each design as they are very fragile so spares come in handy.

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's not easy to do, but I made my own MOP logo.

I bought a handful of MOP pieces off of Ebay and used a fine saw and a set of micro-files to shape my own logo. If you're careful, somewhat artistic, and have the patience of Job it's possible to end up with a decent logo.

I made my own because I wanted to see if I could and because my logo was fairly remedial. Even then, it is hard to justify the time and effort I spent. If it were me, I'd contact one of the MOP sellers and ask them to create your logo for you. You'll thank yourself in the end.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys I think I will contact Tulsah. I really appreciate the help and patience for newbie questions.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shoot this guy an email, [email protected], if you wanna go with a decal.
+1

Another vote for George Charles. His work is high quality, and a value. For your $25.00 you get three decals. No "ghosting" of the decal back or any of that. His decals assimilate into lacquer perfectly. I use no one else for this process. He's been around a long time, and he always delivers.

lowatter

Reaction score
Hey Andrew. You seem to be talented enough to do what I did with mine if you like a challenge. Take a to-scale design and place it between 2 small pieces of glass. Then use some Frog tape or other type of painter's tape and place it over the top of the glass. Then take an X-acto blade and carefully cut around the image with some form of light underneath. Then remove the negative image tape and place it exactly where you want it and mask off the rest of the headstock. Then simply spritz the stencil VERY LIGHTLY with some gold metal flake spray paint. Then spray some nitro spray finish over the headstock and wet-sand/polish.
Worked great for me but it would be best to grain fill prior to placing the stencil down and spraying the gold. Good luck with whatever you decide.
This is how mine came out...

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help I will look at all of the options and let you know what I decide. I might do the decal guy depending on the price of mop inlays

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Your design good but a bit rough looking.

I was bored, so i drew it better for you. Hope it helps.

All the best

Paul

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your design good but a bit rough looking.

I was bored, so i drew it better for you. Hope it helps.

All the best

Paul

That looks superb!

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I've resized the logo to 20% on ms paint and it is the size it needs to be for anyone else that may want one. Thanks again Paul works great!

Latest Threads