vmalheiros

Reaction score
Hello what up guys, so I have an Epiphone Les Paul STANDARD PRO. I've bought a set of Slash's pickups to upgrade, but I've decided that not only will I replace the pickups, but also the pots. When I bought the pickups and took them to a guitar tech, he said that If I wanted to replace the pots, I should buy the 250K ones, and so I did. But it turned out not to be the sound I was looking for, So now I wanna try the 500k ones, and not only that, but I want to re-do the wiring entirely. I want to do 50's wiring on my les paul, and for that I wanna buy brand new parts.

That being said, I'm really confused as to which pots to buy, because of their many different specifications. What's the right shaft lenght for my specific guitar? Long shaft? medium? short? Also, I've heard that the pots for volume and for tone are different, is that correct? or should they be all the same type of pot? ALSO, I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO ENLARGE ANY HOLES OR DRILL ADDITIONAL ONES FOR THAT MATTER, so this is why it's important for me to know the right specifications. I'm also thinking about buying those gibson capacitors to use in the circuit, even though they're quite expensive. I'm looking to get the best tone possible. THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to read through this.

Here are some pictures of my current setup.
I have 2 250kB pots from GOTOH for volume.
https://imgur.com/a/oHpXc

howardlo

Reaction score
I always use 500k pots with humbuckers (as is normal). I use CTS pots which normally require enlarging the holes slightly to 3/8". CTS does now make metric pots that will fit the existing holes. I always use audio taper pots for both tone and volume. Some like linear for the tone pots.

You will want .022 caps. If the guitar has no maple cap you can get by with short shaft pots. The long shafts can be used on either and gives you more adjustment for height.

Many experts say that a cap is a cap. I am with them. I do use Orange Drops just because they are consistently true to the rating.

vmalheiros

Reaction score
I always use 500k pots with humbuckers (as is normal). I use CTS pots which normally require enlarging the holes slightly to 3/8". CTS does now make metric pots that will fit the existing holes. I always use audio taper pots for both tone and volume. Some like linear for the tone pots.

You will want .022 caps. If the guitar has no maple cap you can get by with short shaft pots. The long shafts can be used on either and gives you more adjustment for height.

Many experts say that a cap is a cap. I am with them. I do use Orange Drops just because they are consistently true to the rating.
Hey Thank you very much for the reply. I really thought that linear pots were mostly used for volume, because if I'm not mistaken, they're more gradual so you can have a larger dynamic range of volumes, if you will. Why would you prefer audio taper for volumes? Also, what about the lenght of the shaft? does that matter at all? should I go for long shaft? Thank you in advance

howardlo

Reaction score
The human ear doesn't hear volume changes linearly. That is why audio taper pots were designed. It is all that guys like Dan Erlewine who works on big name players guitars and writes books on working on guitars. He has even swapped guitars with guys like Mike Bloomfield.

DarrellV

Sharp as a bowlin' ball! Oh, Look! ..SQUIRREL!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's a shot of my long shaft pots. if you have them, you will know. I'm pretty sure yours will be metric and short shaft...

vmalheiros

Reaction score
The human ear doesn't hear volume changes linearly. That is why audio taper pots were designed. It is all that guys like Dan Erlewine who works on big name players guitars and writes books on working on guitars. He has even swapped guitars with guys like Mike Bloomfield.
Isn't the volume control supposed to be gradual? I've had audio taper pots for volume before, and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't go from high volume to low volume smoothly. But since I'm not an expert I might be wrong here.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks! this is the kind of reply I'm looking for. xD
whhat about split shaft? what does that mean?
Look at my pic. The shaft is split for the knob to press on.

vmalheiros

Reaction score
Here's a link to Toneman Guitars site. He's a vendor here and offers a premade harness that you can drop right in for not a lot of money.

https://www.tonemanguitar.com/store/p15/Gibson__Epiphone_Les_Paul_Prewired_50s_Wiring_Harness_Short_Shaft_Pots_With_Orange_Drop_Tone_Caps.html
Nice! but I've never heard of that brand of pots. Is it good? is it as reliable as gotoh, cts, dunlop, etc? Do you think there's a noticeable difference in tone from brand to brand? TY!

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
As opposed to solid shaft where the knob has a small setscrew to hold it on.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
What @sasquatch said! I just used his PIO set in mine. That's where I got the pics.
To answer your question There are a few makers of quality pots out there that make them for everybody. Amp builders, guitars, radios you name it. Two of the longest running are CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply) shows how old they are! And Bournes which is what Tone man uses. They are every bit as good and you won't go wrong using either.

I went with the parts as I can solder pretty good but he offers pre-made drop in kits too. Saves time and trouble for not a lot more...

vmalheiros

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking to replace the bridge on my epiphone les paul standard pro, but I want something that will fit right into my guitar. I don't want to drill any aditional holes or even enlarge existing ones for that matter. But I really need help with the specifications of the bridges. First off, what are the best brands? I'm looking for better sustain, tone and harmonics. Secondly, I've noticed that there are bridges for small/large posts, notched saddles, etc. Which of them should I buy? Thank you in advance.
Here is a picture of my current bridge:
https://imgur.com/a/A7isf