Help with bridge slanting

bytemare

Reaction score
20220114_124706.jpg
I bought this new in 1987. The screws for the bridge are screwed directly into the body. As you can see, one of the posts is slanted, and the bridge is up as far as possible. The post however is strong and the guitar intonates and plays fine. Should I be worried about this post? And there is a replacement bridge that has more height so I don't have to max out the height of the bridge?

It's quite possible the guitar came this way (quality seems like crap back then), but I just noticed it a few years ago. No chance for warranty, Gibson only gave a 1 year warranty back then.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raise the tailstop, or top-wrap to reduce the pressure on the bridge.
The string tension is both pulling it forward, and pulling down on the middle, which will eventually cause the bridge to bend and flatten the radius.

Top-wrapping will scar the gold on the top of the tailstop, so simply raising it will preserve the finish.

bytemare

Reaction score
I've raised the tailpiece actually, but still the bridge is up as far as it will go. Are there bridges or saddles that add more height? Do these things stay stable?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
The stress on the stud is a function of the bridge height, which in turn is determined by the neck angle.
To lower the bridge would require the neck to be reset to a more shallow angle.

Check across the top of the saddles and confirm that they follow the neck radius... the center may have already started to collapse, which will require raising the bridge to keep the middle strings from buzzing, which in turn raises the outer strings too high.

What are your string heights across the 15th fret all the way across? If the middle strings are lower than the outer strings, that is a problem.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I've raised the tailpiece actually, but still the bridge is up as far as it will go. Are there bridges or saddles that add more height? Do these things stay stable?
you raised the tailpiece already ? looks decked to me ....

LocoTex

Reaction score
Lower the tailpiece, not the bridge.

bytemare

Reaction score
I raised the tailpiece since the pic was taken. But, problem is, I can't raise the bridge anymore. It's maxed out. Is there a taller replacement bridge? Or higher saddles? The action is really low....

'Hege

Reaction score
Sounds like the neck has taken a bit of back bow...

Can you see any relief in the neck by sighting down it?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Take it to a competent luthier to have the bridge studs straightend or replaced, or drilled for stud inserts.

Have him set the tailpiece properly.

From that pic, I can tell you that it can be raised.

The problem came from the bridge being too high, and the TP being too low.

you may need the bridge that high due to a steep neck angle. But you don't need the TP on the deck.

irocdave12

Reaction score
If that was my guitar I would remove the soft threaded bridge posts and replace them with stronger and longer stainless steel posts. That will eliminate the bridge bending forward. Many aftermarket guitar parts dealers sell these stainless stud kits ready to install and its super easy to do. The Mapleflame Mod is the popular name for this modification. This mod will also many times improve the tone of the guitar too. Here’s the basic idea in the 3 links below.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
And the last option is to buy a second set of thumbwheels and screw them down level to the guitar top (after straightening the leaning one). This will help stop the lean in the future.....but keeping the tailpiece way higher than it is now is a long term help to alleviate forces which are contributing to what has happened.

bytemare

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. At the moment the post is stable, but I cannot raise the bridge. Are there taller bridges available?

NINFNM

Reaction score
Did you check the neck relief? The problem may be there. You should not need to get a higher bridge

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
And there is a replacement bridge that has more height so I don't have to max out the height of the bridge?
I'm trying to figure out why you want a bridge with "more height"
It is what it is and the neck angle determines this.
You say it plays fine, then the bridge does not need to go higher.

Yes, it is possible that it needs a good setup... it's over 40 years old, and the neck *may* have excessive relief.
If that is the case, then a setup may allow the bridge to be lowered.
Thanks for the help. At the moment the post is stable, but I cannot raise the bridge. Are there taller bridges available?
Why do you need to raise the bridge if it plays well as it is?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Just take it to your most trusted Luthier and they will fix you up. I am sure you could get some taller bridge posts if necessary.

bytemare

Reaction score
Relief is max that I like -- I would not like to add any more relief to the neck. If anything, I'd prefer less. I set up all of my guitars and this is the only one that I see a potential issue, because the bridge is up all of the way. Maybe that's due to the bent post, but like I said the post is stable.

Maybe the bridge has collapsed after 35 years, so I'll check that too.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
It's all the way up either because of the neck angle, or because the bridge has collapsed.

NINFNM

Reaction score
If you don't want more relief, I would go with new steel studs, longer or not that deeply screwed, and additional thumbwheels at the bottom. Break angle could be less too if you raise the tailpiece

dro

Reaction score
If you put new post screws in. They will stand straight. Which will in itself, raise the bridge.

Latest Threads