Help with authentication please!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a LOT of coin to sink on a "no returns" sale... which means you're left with the only recourse of running a claim for "not as described"

Tylermcole

Reaction score
No idea on relative price, but doesn't sound overly expensive given what you are getting - especially if the rest of the specs/parts are original to the period.
I have no issue with buying modded guitars.....or fixed ones either. Its a great way of getting something that purists wouldn't touch, but is exactly like an unmodded one to the 'player'. I've picked up 3 or 4 guitars like that - they are great players and didn't cost a huge amount.
Plus there is nothing intrinsically bad about something 'minorly' modded like that, especially as the rest of the body is overly beefy. It really isn't that much wood that is missing.
Thanks for your response. What’s your opinion on the authenticity of the guitar?

Tylermcole

Reaction score
That's a LOT of coin to sink on a "no returns" sale... which means you're left with the only recourse of running a claim for "not as described"
I agree… I hate to say it but I just really want a 1275 to play live that I can afford and not worry about playing in bars and getting transported and such.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree… I hate to say it but I just really want a 1275 to play live that I can afford and not worry about playing in bars and getting transported and such.
I guess for that purpose, it's not such a bad deal... I just get nervous spending more than $1000 or so unless I can play it or have a return option.
Problem is if you don't like it, it could be hard to flip with the modifications.

Tylermcole

Reaction score
I guess for that purpose, it's not such a bad deal... I just get nervous spending more than $1000 or so unless I can play it or have a return option.
Problem is if you don't like it, it could be hard to flip with the modifications.
Agreed, I would still have to win it in the bidding war….. the sellers reviews are fantastic and he’s been on eBay for more than 20 years. All of his listing say no returns accepted even for super cheap items. After reading up, it seems that eBay will always take the side of the buyer even if the sellers states “no returns”.

diskotekno

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I would still have to win it in the bidding war….. the sellers reviews are fantastic and he’s been on eBay for more than 20 years. All of his listing say no returns accepted even for super cheap items. After reading up, it seems that eBay will always take the side of the buyer even if the sellers states “no returns”.
This is true. Despite being able to state no returns as a seller, it doesn't actually work in practice. If the buyer files a dispute you will basically have to accept the return.

LocoTex

Reaction score
It really sounds like you've already made up your mind to buy it and are just looking for some support for your decision. I don't necessarily think it's a bad deal if you can get the seller to come off his price some, but I agree with what CB91710 says about potential problems with the "sold as is" part of it. You need to be certain you are comfortable with the deal.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
An unmodded version from that era would cost around $5000. I suppose that $2000 is not a bad price for one that’s been hacked and refinished. I’m concerned about the 3 screws on the covers and would like to see pictures of the truss rod nut. Pics of the control cavity would be nice too.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
An unmodded version from that era would cost around $5000. I suppose that $2000 is not a bad price for one that’s been hacked and refinished. I’m concerned about the 3 screws on the covers and would like to see pictures of the truss rod nut. Pics of the control cavity would be nice too.
Gibson EDS-1275 with three screw truss rod cover. Don Feider model.
DA864262-D76B-4523-BB19-ABF15BC1DE2F.jpeg

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Ok, here's why I would walk away. The neck joint has been compromised. The 12 string side will have between 140-160 lbs. of tension on it. The 6 string, about 110 give or take. One hard fall from a stand, one move by a clumsy drummer, and you have a broken guitar. If you REALLY feel the need to do the Page thing, save the money, and potential headache, and get the Epiphone version.
Epiphone G-1275 Custom Double Neck Limited-Edition Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend (musiciansfriend.com)
Spend some coin in getting it setup properly, change pickups/electronics if you need to, and enjoy.

Last edited:

rich815

Reaction score
I’d go for the new Epiphone advice.

Looks like it went for $2978.40. Did you get it?

guitaroholic

Reaction score
I’m not an expert but have my doubts. Although a lot looks very Gibson. The volute, the tuners, the fret nibs, it has case candy, someone would have gone through a lot of trouble to get the done that well.
these are the questions I’d be confirming with more research:
- silk screen Gibson logo in the 70s?
- 3 screw TRC??
- the tuners for the E/e strings usually don’t line up between the head stocks of the Gibson. The 6 string tuners look higher/further away from body than the 12-string head.

1624023026438.jpeg

Last edited:

IGRocker

Reaction score
Ok, here's why I would walk away. The neck joint has been compromised. The 12 string side will have between 140-160 lbs. of tension on it. The 6 string, about 110 give or take. One hard fall from a stand, one move by a clumsy drummer, and you have a broken guitar. If you REALLY feel the need to do the Page thing, save the money, and potential headache, and get the Epiphone version.
Epiphone G-1275 Custom Double Neck Limited-Edition Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend (musiciansfriend.com)
Spend some coin in getting it setup properly, change pickups/electronics if you need to, and enjoy.
Honestly this is what I would do in this case. The new Epiphones have come a long way, and with upgraded pickups/electronics it would be a great player. Plus, at half the cost of the hacked up one you’re looking at, it would be easier to replace should something happen to it.

dasherf17

Reaction score
According to one "lock-up" place, they put that number on a 2000/2010 Flying V, Explorer, Futurama reissue, and designed the years 1954 on one line,'65-'68 on another and '74-75 on another...I know the lookup places aren't the absolute truth, but I thought by '76 (as I have a Bicentennial Firebird) the numbers were including the year in digits 1 and 5....has the extra room thing been done before?

dasherf17

Reaction score
I’m considering buying this modified Gibson EDS-1275 from 1976. The owner claims it was modified for easier access to the frets….. what worries me more is the three screw truss rod cover however I’ve seen pictures of 70s gibsons with the same three screw truss rod covers. The modification doesn’t bother me I’m just worried about it being counterfeit. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much! Serial number is 406259. Any opinions on the modification? Could be affecting the structure of the guitar?
Curious, too, what is it going for?

dasherf17

Reaction score
Thanks so much! so would you say it’s fake? And do think the mod could pose issues down the line?
If it's a '76, going by the serial number I'd be hard pressed to buy it as "real". Either let it alone or offer $500...

Latest Threads