Help with authentication please!

Tylermcole

Reaction score
I’m considering buying this modified Gibson EDS-1275 from 1976. The owner claims it was modified for easier access to the frets….. what worries me more is the three screw truss rod cover however I’ve seen pictures of 70s gibsons with the same three screw truss rod covers. The modification doesn’t bother me I’m just worried about it being counterfeit. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much! Serial number is 406259. Any opinions on the modification? Could be affecting the structure of the guitar?

Attachments

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
The open book shape of the headstocks appear to be different from each other.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be worried more about the weakening of the neck joint with the removal of that much wood.
Personally, I wouldn't touch that at any price, and I've been wanting a 1275 for 40 years.

Tylermcole

Reaction score
I would be worried more about the weakening of the neck joint with the removal of that much wood.
Personally, I wouldn't touch that at any price, and I've been wanting a 1275 for 40 years.
Thanks so much, good point!

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Here’s another pic, what do you think?
They actually look more matched in that pic.

It looks legit to me, but others more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in.

The fret nibs is a big one. Most fakes/cheaper guitars almost never have them. Hell, even the good Japanese copies often don't.

The volute is a good sign. The numbers of the serial are more rounded. Fakes often have crisp numbers because their dies are newer and less worn.

Tylermcole

Reaction score
The seller says it was done professionally. Could it still be an issue? I was gonna use this as a beater for my bar/club gigs? Thank you for your time.

Tylermcole

Reaction score
It's real, but also really hacked up. Walk away.
Thank you so much. Could that modification prove to be a significant issue? I’m not really worried about the value, I mostly just want to get some solid gig/recording use out of it.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I don't get wanting upper access on a 12 string guitar to the point of modding such a classic!
Personally, but that's just me, I would be bothered owning a classic model modded in such a way.
(Unless the price is stupid low...)

I have gone through many pics and I didn't see a three screw truss rod cover.
It's either blank or "Custom" on it. 2 screws, always.
1974 to 1986 = blank.

1623813445083.png

1623813247706.png

Attachments

Tylermcole

Reaction score
I don't get wanting upper access on a 12 string guitar to the point of modding such a classic!
Personally, but that's just me, I would be bothered owning a classic model modded in such a way.
(Unless the price is stupid low...)

I have gone through many pics and I didn't see a three screw truss rod cover.
It's either blank or "Custom" on it. 2 screws, always.
1974 to 1986 = blank.

View attachment 544004

View attachment 544002
Thanks so much! so would you say it’s fake? And do think the mod could pose issues down the line?

Tylermcole

Reaction score
I was considering paying 2000. would I be absolutely insane? Or is that a good price for a guitar of this condition that is going to get played out?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Thanks so much! so would you say it’s fake? And do think the mod could pose issues down the line?
From some pictures, hard to tell.
Looks like there is enough wood around for a glued neck.
But I can't be sure.

I have found a picture with the 3 screws...
Supposedly a 1977.
Same Gibson decal logo too.

Tylermcole

Reaction score
From some pictures, hard to tell.
Looks like there is enough wood around for a glued neck.
But I can't be sure.

I have found a picture with the 3 screws...
Supposedly a 1977.
Same Gibson decal logo too.

Interesting. Thanks again for all your help! :)

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Is it near you?
Can you hold it in your hands, try it?

Or return it for refund?

Tylermcole

Reaction score
Is it near you?
Can you hold it in your hands, try it?

Or return it for refund?
Nope, Ebay. Seller has been around since 1998 and has excellent reviews not a single bad one. However its says no returns. I’ve had great luck buying guitars online I was looking to pay around 1800-2000 for it. Opinion?

Attachments

ARandall

Reaction score
No idea on relative price, but doesn't sound overly expensive given what you are getting - especially if the rest of the specs/parts are original to the period.
I have no issue with buying modded guitars.....or fixed ones either. Its a great way of getting something that purists wouldn't touch, but is exactly like an unmodded one to the 'player'. I've picked up 3 or 4 guitars like that - they are great players and didn't cost a huge amount.
Plus there is nothing intrinsically bad about something 'minorly' modded like that, especially as the rest of the body is overly beefy. It really isn't that much wood that is missing.

Latest Threads